An old book, a dead psychic, and a mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old book, a dead psychic, and a mystery

I wasn't really sure where to post this thread, but Hearth & Home seems as fitting as any. I am working on unraveling a mystery that started with my acquisition of a small, strange astrology book that was published 100 years ago in my hometown of Terre Haute, IN by a psychic/astrologer named Mrs. V.A. Milligan. There is little to no information online about Mrs. V.A. Milligan. By a complete fluke, this book was re-published in 2006 by a company that specializes in obscure works for a niche audience, however the new edition omits several pages from the beginning of the book where the author briefly mentions her "previous book." I'm really hoping this "previous book" wasn't lost to history! I have the local Historical Society interested in my book, and they want me to bring it by the next time I am in town. I've hit a few dead ends trying to put together a bio for the author, and while I think I *might* have a match in the county obituary records, I am not 100% positive that the Verna Milligan I found is V.A. Milligan. The interesting thing is that the book contained a slip of paper with her Terre Haute address on it from 100 years ago. The paper said she'd do a full astrological reading for $1 or answer 3 important questions for $0.25. The address is now part of Indiana State University. I am actually thinking about using the "Dead Letter Office" for a little "magick" and writing "3 important questions" on a letter addressed to her at her 100-year-old address, and even enclose a quarter. Questions like, "Are you Verna?" and, "What was the name of your first book?" I have heard of people using the "Dead Letter Office" to write to the deceased before as a means of closure and possibly even to get the attention of the spirit. I decided I wanted to try it, especially after last night when I drew a card from my Celtic oracle deck as I was thinking about the woman and her book, and the card I got was "The Dolmen" symbolic of "mysteries" and "the otherworld." Has anyone else written to the deceased like this? Did you have any luck or find out more than you knew before? Are there "safe" ways to get in touch with the spirit and let her know that I am trying to make sure she knows she is not "forgotten" in her home town? I don't think it requires a seance or necromancy...I just want her to know she hasn't completely faded into obscurity.

Re: An old book, a dead psychic, and a mystery

I've never tried anything like that, but it sounds like an interesting project!

Keep us posted!
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That's amazing! I'd really like to hear more about this but I unfortunatly can't shed any light on your predicament
      Circe

Comment

I will say I feel very strange (not uncomfortable or negative, just unfamiliar and STRONG) energy whenever I handle the book. It kind of "pulls" at me when I even look at it. I don't know if the "energy" is from previous owners or from something contained within, but it's peculiar and attractive and a little spooky all at the same time. I also think the energy might have something to do with the LAND...the county of Vigo or the city of Terre Haute...maybe that's wishful thinking, though, as I have always felt a very strong connection to the LAND in my place of birth.

Comment

I keep telling folks this, but go to City Hall and look at the land ownership records. It will give you a ton of leads as to where the person is. Then look up the obituaries around that time.
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

My letter to Mrs. Milligan seemed to work. With her book beside me on the table as I wrote, I addressed my letter to her and asked her my three questions: Are you Verna? What was the name of your first book? Will I find out more about you? I taped a quarter to it and signedand sealed the letter. I didn't even have to put it in the mailbox. Just carrying it around in my purse with the intent to do so had an effect. I learned the night I did the ritual that she was most definitely NOT Verna. Her name was Rose. I found this out by finding a copyright list from 1912 and it listed her book, and the copyright was issued to Rose C. Milligan. V.A. Milligan was her husband's name - therefore, she was MRS. V.A. Milligan on the book. Rose told me some other interesting things. I got a prior address in Indianapolis that she had before she moved to Terre Haute (it's now a parking garage. ) I also learned that she traveled throughout Indiana and Illinois doing work as a palmist, psychic, and astrologer. My mom even does geneaology work and found her family tree - she divorced sometime around 1917-1919 and they had no children, that any records we found show. It's doubtful that she has any living relatives in the Terre Haute area. She is buried alone in West Terre Haute - which is known for being a "poor" area across the river. I don't know if it was "poor" in 1941 when she died; I hope she didn't die a pauper! Anyway, I plan on making a gift of the book along with all the information I have found to the Vigo County Historical Society. I think it is important, especially with the book having been republished as a "curious novelty" as the book's back cover states, that there is the memory of a PERSON attached to it. I think that's really all Rose wanted. I think I found the book for a reason...Rose knew I had a connection to the land and would put it all together.

Comment

Wow, glad you got to find more info! And given the circumstances those bits are significant.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Working...
              X