Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other languages?

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    I'd definitely like to have a Japanese chat with the two of you sometime. I have found that when I attempt to skype with JP in romaji (I have to use a website to type in kana then copy/paste, which is way to slow for chatting), I make loads of typos. He STILL teases me for writing '... Futatsu wo kaita' instead of 'katta', when boasting to him about buying cheap oranges. Whenever I mention shopping now, he'll ask, 'and how many did you write?' I could definitely use practice in typing!
    TurningTides would be better for that--my Japanese is fairly crap, but I would try!
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I've never bumped into her in the chat room yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to ask her. Honestly though, my Japanese is pretty basic too and if it would help, I can stick to the masu/desu style. I could use practice in that anyway. I'm sure I'll end up offending someone's parents eventually.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Slade View Post
        Dia duit! - Hello! (Literally: "God to you!" and the response is "Dia is Muire duit!")

Is inghlactha mé i Gaeilge. - I'm passable in Gaeilge (Irish).
        I tried to teach myself Gaelic - keep coming back to it, too. But the pronunciations are so distant from the spellings (dee-ah geet?) that it gets frustrating. However, I'm a bash at St. Patty's parties.

I took French in high school and university, but my university French classes were laughable. I took one semester of Japanese as well, but have forgotten nearly all of it. And I'm learning Spanish now, as I live on the US Mexico border. Kinda necessary.
        Last edited by Abhainn; 25 Apr 2012, 18:00. Reason: added stuff
        "All four winds blow steady, singing 'hie, the open road is home!'"
        http://hagstones.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
          TurningTides would be better for that--my Japanese is fairly crap, but I would try!
          I've woken up the 'fun with' thread http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...Japanese/page2

I thought this new game would give better practice and help people gain confidence. It will give people a chance to look up words if you need to, and as you only have to answer the last question, even if you don't understand the previous poster's answer, it shouldn't matter. Would love you to join in!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Also, shall we start a German thread? Dunno what we would do in it. Practise writing I guess. It might stop me losing it altogether.
            Yes! Let's do it! My writing is godawful and I am currently trying to get better (I hate that I have to send friends every single email I send just to make sure I don't sound like a moron)

Comment

I'd be interested in taking part in a German thread .....
              Well, I am German.

Is there a German thread somewhere already - or can I start one?

Comment

Originally posted by Larix View Post
                Well, I am German.

Is there a German thread somewhere already - or can I start one?
                I am in the process of learning German with a program at home.

Comment

I would love to learn another language, possibly French as that is what I did at school, but I don't know how to go about it?! I can't afford to do evening classes or buy any kind of decent home program
                  http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                    I would love to learn another language, possibly French as that is what I did at school, but I don't know how to go about it?! I can't afford to do evening classes or buy any kind of decent home program
                    Sorry for the slow response. I highly recommend About.com for languages. I haven't checked out the French pages, but German and Japanese are both very useful and go into the grammar in surprising detail. Also check out the BBC's Bitesize series as this not only offers listening practise, but will help you remember what you learnt at school.

If you are gonna spend cash, go for something with plenty audio and don't be tempted by things like pimslear or rosetta stone. These DO produce rapid results, but they only teach set phrases which will help you order coffee (with a degree of awkwardness), but never allow you to move beyond beginner level and actually express your thoughts and feelings. You'll just end up having to go right back to basics and learn grammar at some point, making the high price tags of these courses seem a little unreasonable.

Exception: Earworms series. Again, will teach you to say stuff, but won't teach you to SPEAK, but is soo much fun it is worth every penny!

Hope this helped.

Comment

Oh and of course, best method of all: make some French friends! I found both of my Japanese friends who live locally, via the internet (one on something weird like Craigs list, although I forget exactly). It's a massive help to have natives to chat to, but don't underestimate non-native speakers too. I LOVE speaking to fellow students of Japanese, because they speak more slowly and stick to structures and vocab you're more likely to be familiar with, which helps you both feel more fluent. That's if you can find someone who doesn't just want to destroy your confidence to make themselves feel superior! I've also had people tell me I am totally wrong, only for me to find out from a native that what I was saying was fine before this person's 'correction', so do pick your language partners carefully. The other danger of course, is learning each others wrong language, as JP and I had done. ^^

Comment

Other than English I am learning Maori (native New Zealand language) and I hope to be fluent in a couple of years.
                        "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
                        Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
                        Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Originally posted by ConnollyCelt View Post
                          Other than English I am learning Maori (native New Zealand language) and I hope to be fluent in a couple of years.
                          Sounds cool! Is it easy to find study material? I tried to study Swahili in High School, but the material was frustratingly poor.

Comment

Sorry for the slow response. I highly recommend About.com for languages. I haven't checked out the French pages, but German and Japanese are both very useful and go into the grammar in surprising detail. Also check out the BBC's Bitesize series as this not only offers listening practise, but will help you remember what you learnt at school.

If you are gonna spend cash, go for something with plenty audio and don't be tempted by things like pimslear or rosetta stone. These DO produce rapid results, but they only teach set phrases which will help you order coffee (with a degree of awkwardness), but never allow you to move beyond beginner level and actually express your thoughts and feelings. You'll just end up having to go right back to basics and learn grammar at some point, making the high price tags of these courses seem a little unreasonable.

Exception: Earworms series. Again, will teach you to say stuff, but won't teach you to SPEAK, but is soo much fun it is worth every penny!

Hope this helped.
                            It did :-) Thank you
                            http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'm Danish! that means that I, of course, can speak danish as my native language and in school we learn english and french (some learn german)
                              i can also understand swedish and norwegian (can't really speak it well) and I can also speak a few spanish words and sentences.
                              right now I'm studying to be an archeologist, so I'm learning to write/read different kinds of ancient writings

Hope that is usefull!!
                              ~ flowers are our only garments
                              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Hallo, ik ni wáit si sums af izwis wáitun Gutiska Razda.

I learned a bit of gothic while studying my ancestry a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X