Any other languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other languages?

Ich sprecht Sie Deutsch a bitten. Labhairt liom Gaeilge. Ego studuit Latine. Jag arbetar på Scandanavians

I speak English and Irish. I studied Latin in school. I am currently working on the Scandanavians.

Comment

Originally posted by Dral View Post
      Ich sprecht Sie Deutsch a bitten. Labhairt liom Gaeilge. Ego studuit Latine. Jag arbetar på Scandanavians

I speak English and Irish. I studied Latin in school. I am currently working on the Scandanavians.
      Buaigh leat a Dhral an bhfuil aon chanúintí agat?

Comment

Not fair.. no one ever chats to me in Japanese on PF. Think I picked the wrong language ( ;_; )
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I took 2 years of Japanese in college, and withdrew from 3rd year when I realized the textbook was all in Japanese... and I hadn't kept up that well the second year -_- I have an uncle who lived in Japan for close to 20 years and when he visits the family, I can still usually understand the simple phrases he says to me in Japanese, but I can't form sentences of my own anymore. But I plan to be living and working in Japan in at least a year, so I am trying to get into again so I'm not totally clueless once I get there. I tried Japanese Phrases for Dummies (I know, I know, but I actually have found the Dummies Series very useful on every other topic I wanted to know more about), but I think I will just have to go back to my textbooks since they focus more on grammar in a step-by-step way.

As you said in your first post about it, Jembru, Japanese changes so much based on who you're talking to... like it isn't hard enough already! :'( I feel like that fact alone makes it feel like learning more than just one new language and I worry I'll never master it. I am terrified of going to Japan, but it's been my dream since middle school, and I'll kick myself if I don't make it a reality just because the language scares me lol

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraWinters View Post
            I took 2 years of Japanese in college, and withdrew from 3rd year when I realized the textbook was all in Japanese... and I hadn't kept up that well the second year -_- I have an uncle who lived in Japan for close to 20 years and when he visits the family, I can still usually understand the simple phrases he says to me in Japanese, but I can't form sentences of my own anymore. But I plan to be living and working in Japan in at least a year, so I am trying to get into again so I'm not totally clueless once I get there. I tried Japanese Phrases for Dummies (I know, I know, but I actually have found the Dummies Series very useful on every other topic I wanted to know more about), but I think I will just have to go back to my textbooks since they focus more on grammar in a step-by-step way.

As you said in your first post about it, Jembru, Japanese changes so much based on who you're talking to... like it isn't hard enough already! :'( I feel like that fact alone makes it feel like learning more than just one new language and I worry I'll never master it. I am terrified of going to Japan, but it's been my dream since middle school, and I'll kick myself if I don't make it a reality just because the language scares me lol
            Oh, I have those books! They're quite unique in the fact that they focus entirely on how the language is spoken. A dialogue that really sticks out, is the young lady and a man who meet in Sapporo (I think) airport and strike up a conversation. It's amazing how often I have read or heard people who studied the language formally, claim 'you ALWAYS have to use the masu/desu/neutral-polite style when speaking to strangers', and I wonder why, after three years of uni, their teacher never came clean and explained that depending on the situation, you can usually slip between styles as it shows respect, while creating closeness. Japanese for Dummies really illustrates how this works in real, everyday Japanese interactions.

I knew only a few phrases of Japanese when I lived there and I know people who lived there for 6 or more years and never picked up the language, so trust me, you'll be fine! If you really want to get away from the artificial university style Japanese, and pick up something more functional (I've met people with JLPT 3, who can't even hold down a simple conversation, so you really didn't miss much by skipping third year: you'd have learnt to read literature, but wouldn't have been able to post a parcel back to Indiana by surface mail), then I highly recommend the series I use: Japanese for Busy People. You probably won't need book 1 as it only covers the material you'll have covered in the first 6 months of uni. Book 2 will help refresh what you learnt at college and brush up your kana if you need to. Book 3 is bloody amazing and well, well worth the money. It IS mainly in the polite forms, but introduces more and more casual expressions and contractions, so when you hear things like 'shicha dame', in everyday speech instead of 'shite wa ikemasen', that you'll have learnt at uni, you'll know what they mean. Few books teach this stuff and it is so very, very important to know if you need the language for spoken communication.

My Japanese is still pretty poor to be honest, and I'm slipping behind, so if you want a study partner, let me know!

lol. you can tell I use a lot of Japanese: I keep repeating words for emphasis. Bad habit ne!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I know enough French to get into trouble

Comment

Originally posted by brigidgreywolf View Post
                I know enough French to get into trouble
                I am soo stealing this expression. This EXACTLY describes my language skills!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
                  Buaigh leat a Dhral an bhfuil aon chanúintí agat?
                  The only accent I have sir is a very Southern one.

Comment

Does anyone know if I could record myself speaking and paste it on Pagan Forum without making a youtube vid that all could see? It's just when Dral mentioned accent it made me think of something silly. In Germany, I was told I spoke German with a Japanese accent. My Japanese accent sounds very English (I think), so I don't know how this is possible, but I'd love to post a few sentences in the German thread. I just don't know how to go about it.

Comment

May I introduce my mother language:

Alemannic (German: Alemannisch (help·info)) is a group of dialects of the Upper German branch of the Germanic language family. It is spoken by approximately ten million people in eight countries: Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, France, Italy, Venezuela, and the United States. The name derives from the ancient Germanic alliance of tribes known as the Alamanni ("all men").

Comment

I speak French fluently and I can usually carry on a good conversation in Mandarin Chinese. I'm learning German right now. I start graduate school next year in foreign-language education. Foreign languages are kind of my life
                        "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft." -1 Samuel 15:23

"Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman." -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Dral View Post
                          The only accent I have sir is a very Southern one.
                          Chanuinti is dialects not accents, google translate is not your friend for irish.

While there is a standardised form for testing the spoken irish language is diverse. For example people in musckerry wont communicate with me in my leinster irish, theyll only use their dialect and its archaeic. Its got middle irish words in it and the way verbs are conjugated can be odd. While the same rules apply even the basics of saying hello, how are you, my name is are different in dialects. They interest some learners cos of that. People with family in ulster prefer the ulster dialect and so on.

Here are some resources for irish including some free online courses. Our culture should be treated as more then an affectation. Learn or dont lie.

Comment

I've acquainted myself with Russian, and often write a sort of liturgy in it. I haven't had any real lessons though, so it's very limited.
                            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Chanuinti is dialects not accents, google translate is not your friend for irish.

While there is a standardised form for testing the spoken irish language is diverse. For example people in musckerry wont communicate with me in my leinster irish, theyll only use their dialect and its archaeic. Its got middle irish words in it and the way verbs are conjugated can be odd. While the same rules apply even the basics of saying hello, how are you, my name is are different in dialects. They interest some learners cos of that. People with family in ulster prefer the ulster dialect and so on.

Here are some resources for irish including some free online courses. Our culture should be treated as more then an affectation. Learn or dont lie.
                              http://homepage.eircom.net/~seabhaca...langlinks.html
                              So what makes you so sure he's lying? He says he was raised speaking Irish at home. From what I understand, there is a society of people who speak a very fractured form of German in the states, because over generations, it has changed further and further from the original language (is it the Amish?). So it's not hard to imagine, especially from what you have just written about dialects, that you are just both speaking a different version of the language. A year ago, JP and I spoke what we called 'Japanese', but I began to notice that it was getting further and further away from the real language. We were lucky enough to be exposed to genuine Japanese, but I can imagine how in just one generation, a language can quickly become fractured, simplified and embelished, if not regulated by exposure to the original form. If Dral is lying about that, it's a bloody weird thing to make up and I much prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

http://homepage.eircom.net/~seabhaca...langlinks.html
                                To be fair, English speakers often use the word "dialect" as a synonym for "accent." It may not be correct, but reading it as such would not be uncommon amongst anglophones. I hear all the time people saying of Southerners in the U.S. that they speak a "Southern dialect of English" even though it's really just a question of accent.
                                "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft." -1 Samuel 15:23

"Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman." -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                                X