Heathenism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heathenism

As many are reading this I wont go into full detail's but I as a heathen (believer in asatru) have been asked to bless a wedding. Now I have questions about this which make me rather conflicted in my answer.

1. I have been hit by lightning and yet I survived without a scratch which in itself is a blessing from the gods
    2. Ever since I could remember I have been called Vidarr by my family by my friends by everyone
    3. As Heathen law dictates I can preform the ceremony if my words be true and I come from a warrior family
    4. I am the last in the family who can continue the name

Now after these for big points which by heathen law I can bless a coming together of two people. Would it be recognized with the penpushers and those who are in the pagan council ect ect

Re: Heathenism

You would have to check the laws in your area, but my understanding is that "Heathen law" (whatever that is) doesn't mean diddly squat, the 'penpushers' (as you call them) do.

In my province (Ontario, in Canada), you need to be a registered minister or a Justice of the Peace who has a license to perform marriages. Until those conditions are met, you can be the last of your kind from the most prestigious lineage of warriors and your words still won't carry legal weight.

And "Pagan council"? WTF? Have we Pagans unified and elected our own council that speaks for all of us?

Someone please tell me I'm feeding the trolls.

Comment

Here in the US, marriages depend on state and local law...it varies, and in some cases *anyone* can get a "license to wed", while in others, you can be "ordained"--so we have groups like the Universal Life Church that do online ordainment to anyone for free (I'm ordained by them)...but in places its more strict than that and there are other requirements.

I do know that in England, the requirements to perform a legally binding wedding are more strict than it is here...but...Heathen law? Really? Since when? Anyhoo...anyone, however, can do a non-legally binding handfasting/wedding/commitment ceremony/relationship blessing/etc, in any country.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Check you local laws (meaning UK law or whichever local authority matters in this case) to see if you meet the requirements and what type of paperwork would need to be done. If for some reason you aren't legally fit to perform the marriage then the couple can pursue a civil ceremony to handle the legal end and you can perform a separate religious ceremony for them.

Originally posted by Vidarr View Post
        Now after these for big points which by heathen law I can bless a coming together of two people. Would it be recognized with the penpushers and those who are in the pagan council ect ect
        :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

*catches breath*

Paganism is not sufficiently unified to dream of having governing council. At most you can find governing bodies within specific traditions. The Asatru in your region may be that organized, they may not. They aren't the final arbiters of a legal marriage though and as an organization, their rules only apply to you if you join the organization.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

What heathen law is this where you can wed someone?

In fact where do you get all of these from....

1. I have been hit by lightning and yet I survived without a scratch which in itself is a blessing from the gods
          3. As Heathen law dictates I can preform the ceremony if my words be true and I come from a warrior family

And what do they mean?
          Gunnarr Sandisson
          "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
          Five Boroughs Hearth

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnarr View Post
            What heathen law is this where you can wed someone?

In fact where do you get all of these from....

And what do they mean?

I second this^.

But I'll settle for "wtf is heathen law" and "wtf is a pagan council"??

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

The first part is very interesting to me. It's a common belief that persons struck by lightning were holy, and evidence of this can be found among Slavic, as well as Baltic and Caucasian people (people from the Caucasus).
              If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X