This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Tarot...?

you may or may not feel drawn to reading tarot at all, it can be a conscious decision, but you should be drawn to a certain deck if you choose it yourself. otherwise its best to be gifted one, where the person keeps you in mind when selecting it if they bought it, or if its handed down thats even better.... I had a deck that was handed down in my family (even though they claim no history, i think they're hiding things to "escape" it) that I handed off to a friend of mine, cant remember who though lol.
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Well, I know there was a pair of oracle cards I was driven to, that I ended up actually getting after a few days of obsessively thinking about them after seeing them in the store.
      I haven't yet found a tarot deck that does that to me. But I know the curiosity of it has me reading about them and browsing decks online.

Comment

obsessing definately counts toward being drawn to it. it seems it was calling to you, screaming your name.
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Yeah. It was unsettling to me. I could not stop thinking about it until I had it in my hands and was able to hold it as my own. I say outside and 'played" with the cards at a cafe table in town and then brought them to the park with me to be with nature.
          The cards were "healing fairy" cards.
          I didn't stop obsessing over them until after this.
          It was...weird and like I said a tad unsettling. I wasn't sure if this was a "normal" kind of thing to feel in this area, as my entire life I have fought these kinds of feelings toward things.

Comment

I'd agree...it sounds like the imagery of those particular cards really speaks to you.

I'm just learning Tarot, myself, and felt very drawn to the regular Wait Rider deck. No interest or pull to things like runes, though.

As for whether I feel they are trustworthy or safe--I don't believe there is any sort of intelligence or spirit within the cards. They're just a deck of cards with very rich symbolism on them. Your brain, your personal intuition/subconscious, though, can use those symbols to try to tell you something that you're having trouble hearing. That's why each card can have so many meanings. When I first started looking into them a few months ago, I got some really wise advice from someone on here who said, " figure out what they mean for YOU".

I carry mine around in my purse, like a good luck charm, btw
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thats kind of how I have been incling towards. Thats one reason I think I was drawn to the oracle cards, because of how they made me feel. And perhaps that is the reason behind the draw to the tarot cards (also to runes though, its like I am a vortex or something, i don't know if thats bad or not).
              I have heard so many differential opinions on the cards I wanted to hear from people who actually use them.
              I was worried about opening up a spirit connection that would make me uncomfortable or cause troubles.
              This is all a learning curve, well...thats why I am here. I know there are things out and I want to be safe about it.

Comment

[quote author=PoisonTears link=topic=953.msg17212#msg17212 date=1290703577]
                For those of you who use tarot or have in the past. I have a few questions.
                Before you used them, did you feel a strange calling TO use them? I don't know if that make sense or now.
                What are your opinions of them? Do you feel they are trustworthy? safe?
                These questions might seem strange to those who have log been associated with them, but as person searching for her soul, I would really like to know your feelings.
                [/quote]

My cards were gifted to me, and I love them. I always wanted to learn to use them, so when someone gave me a deck, I took that as a sign to give it a shot, and I'm pretty good with them now. I think they are perfectly safe, although I also think a lot of people misunderstand the fact that they are more of a guide than a straight answer for anything. For me, it's all about personal interpretation. Does that make sense?
                It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Yes, it does. And I'm glad I asked. it's nice to find a place where I can ask the questions that have been eating at me for a long time.

Comment

I was once pulled strongly to a deck that does nothing for me now. I think that as our needs change, as we change, so do the decks we're drawn to. It's great that you've found something that called to you so strongly

Sometimes if my mind is clouded I will do a readng, and it'll help settle me and help me think. Or I'll do readings for friends. I tend to go with the feel of the cards as to how to shuffle and cut, what spread to use.
                    They are primarily a tool.

That said, I've had some of the most intuitive and useful readings after being "called" to pick up my cards, not having any previous inclination to it that day.

Comment

Way back when I first started becoming a conscious-of-what-I-was Pagan, I was living with my oldest sister. She had been a Satanist and was learning about Wicca when I went to live with her. When I expressed an interest in 'becoming a witch', she said something like, "Well, we better get you some Tarot cards".

At the time, I'd been using runes and the I Ching, but I wasn't getting the whole 'fortune teller' vibe. I'd never had any real interest in expanding my psychic awareness or abilities, didn't see myself as prophetic - all the other members of my family were, but I mostly talked to animals, plants & dead people. But, my sister took me to a local occult shop, bought me the Rider-Waite Tarot... and all of a sudden the entire Universe seemed to make much more sense. The Tarot opened the door for the QBLH, which opened the door to ceremonial magic(k), which opened the door to everything else.

As far as for Tarot or other divinatory tools being 'safe' or 'trustworthy', I come from it at the angle that you're talking to yourself. The Tarot and other tools are keys to unlock inaccessible parts of your own subconscious mind, your intuition, the alligator brain that we all have but don't pay much attention to. For some people, the various tools not only give them insight into themselves, but better insight into problems that other people have, and some folks get the high-speed satellite link-up - the ability to foretell events and predict the future.

My advice would be, if you're feeling the need to pick something of the divinatory nature up, try a few things - runes, Tarot or oracle cards, I Ching, a scrying bowl or mirror, flame-gazing, tea leaves, palm reading, sheep guts - see if anything works for you or feels 'right' to you. Not every Pagan feels the need to prognosticate, so if nothing catches your fancy, don't worry about it. No one's going to think less of you for not using something like that. I know many, many people, Pagans and non-Pagans alike, who think it's all a bunch of hooey, and that may end up being true for you, too.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I can definitely say that I don't feel the "fortune telling" call. More of a personal call to see inside myself or to maybe get advice somehow of what I need to see to heal and learn about myself and my path. Something along those lines at least. Not sure EXACTLY what just yet.
                        I have felt a draw TO cards, but because of the taboos about them I wanted to ask about them before I decided to actually use them.
                        I have had a rune reading done on me before and it was frighteningly accurate. my read was of some very bad things and sure enough...I had a terrible year. I'm afraid to get them read now!

Comment

Remember that even as a divination tool, it's a warning, not a definite outcome. If you get a bad reading, get a second reading asking what you can do to change things.

Comment

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=953.msg17685#msg17685 date=1290828263]
                            Remember that even as a divination tool, it's a warning, not a definite outcome. If you get a bad reading, get a second reading asking what you can do to change things.
                            [/quote]

Even just knowing the future, can change it.

If you know what's going to happen, it becomes conscious in your mind, in which case you suddenly may make different decisions without realizing it, changing the outcome.

Comment

[quote author=Dufonce link=topic=953.msg17782#msg17782 date=1290865253]
                              Even just knowing the future, can change it.

If you know what's going to happen, it becomes conscious in your mind, in which case you suddenly may make different decisions without realizing it, changing the outcome.
                              [/quote]

Or you might decide that even if there's unpleasantness ahead, you'd rather take your lumps to get the end result. Most of the time bad results showing up for me are a "well, duh..." moment, i.e. if I'd bothered to think about it really deeply before hand, I would have drawn the same conclusion. The tarot cards just helped me get there faster by getting the rest of my brain out of my way.
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thats kind of what I was thinking. Rather then the whole a intense reading like the runes. *shudders*. that was brutal.
                                I was thinking of more of a "directional" type use to help sort out my head.

Comment

Working...
                                X