X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

[quote author=Bjorn link=topic=493.msg22075#msg22075 date=1292274142]
    So when I simply cannot get it, I go here http://www.ata-tarot.com/resource/cards/. I think this is the best resource I've ever stumbled across.
    [/quote]

Seconding the suggestion for this website. I struggled for years to grasp the symbolism of certain cards, and that website has helped me a lot.

Granted, I'm still really bad at tarot. I need a deck I can relate to better.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I've used only aeclectictarot online, but that looks promising too! I should just get back to my cards... I'm struggling with these on and off seasons with reading tarot cards, and the problem is that I always forgot most of what I've learned on on-seasons during these off-seasons.. Especially my ability to read cards together gets always really bad.

PS. I love you avatar Anu!

Comment

[quote author=pihlaja link=topic=493.msg22378#msg22378 date=1292367526]PS. I love you avatar Anu!
        [/quote]

Thank you! I love the aurora borealis. My one real dream in life is to visit Finland and see it in person.

Comment

Re: About Tarot...?

I picked up my first tarot deck on a whim. I bought a mini-deck that I saw at some new age shop because I wanted to try it, because the mini ones were cheaper, and because that deck had the best art of the available decks. Though I was interested in tarot I only fooled around with my deck upon occasion and never really took to it or got any practice. One day I was mugged and my tarot deck was stolen with my purse. I found the cards scattered down a street later but they were ruined. A little while later a friend of mine who I had told about my lost deck gave me his old deck, the Crowley-Harris Thoth deck. I soon started doing tarot regularly and found myself something of a natural at it. I have found that tarot and I somehow jive together though I was never strongly attracted to it in the first place. It may have just been a problem with my first deck. Though I don't particularly believe that your first deck should be a gift it is interesting that my second deck which was a gift worked better for me.

I like tarot. I doubt I will find many other divination mediums that I work so well with. I think how trustworthy it is is dependent upon the person. If tarot doesn't click with you then your readings are less likely to be accurate than if you feel connected to that particular divination technique. I see nothing unsafe about tarot so long as you take the readings with a grain of salt. You will have bad days and what I call 'bad reads' and you must always keep in mind that the future is never set in stone, no matter how accurate your readings are. The future predicted by tarot in my opinion is the likely future, not the definite future. Tarot cards are just a tool, in the end you are the one doing the divination and the predicting, it is your reading and your interpretation, go with your instincts and intuition.

Comment

My little bit of advice to add is not to be worried about referring back to the book and card descriptions as often as you feel you need too, i have a terrible memory so while i know what the feel of each card message is i struggle to articulate what they specifically say. Often the book or guides short interpretation of the card is a good jumping off point and after rereading it my intuition and the divination takes over and the meaning pours out of my mouth much more fluidly and creates the messages of the whole spread.
            Writing down a short interpretation of each card and its position in the spread also helps as you might come back to it later and see meanings that werent immediatly obvious, also you have a nice record to look back on with lots of reaffirming correct predictions!

Comment

I'm not sure books are the best way to learn the Tarot. If you know your numerology, astrology, and elements you can see the patterns in the fundamentals of the cards. Also, you can use the cards like you use a wall, or crystal ball for scrying. The images on the cards can be interpreted many ways. This is how many gypsies have read their cards. It is that state of mind where you take yourself out of the picture to let the energies flow in. This is what is is all about, really. That state of clarity will take you all the way. A book can't teach that, it's a matter of practicing it yourself. I use the shape-shifter deck myself, but it called me. You should use the cards that call you. It's a very personal thing.
              If you are looking for cards, our store has many. It also has books as well, but I recommend you know your numerology and elements well as they determine the structure of the cards.
              If you can stare at the wall and see pictures, then you can also use this technique with the cards.

Comment

Tarot Help

I was wondering if any one had any tips when doing a tarot reading about how to create a story with the cards. I ask because I give people readings on other forums and right now I just let the cards tell me things but I have trouble create a story out of it.
                "Everyone and everything around you is your teacher." -- Ken Keyes Jr.

Comment

Re: Tarot Help

What do you mean be a story? Understanding what are the relations between cards or an actual story about past life or so?

I don't know anything about the second option, but to the first one I'd say that good spread helps a lot with understanding what's the meaning or position of every card in greater scale. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for?

Comment

Re: Tarot Help

Please explain this a little more and then we can help better.

Comment

Re: Tarot Q&A

The tarot threads that asked specific questions on using tarot have all been merged into one thread. Please be sure to quote any future responses to a specific question, and be sure to check the title of which thread was referenced!
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, so my son got some of the cards of my Rider-Waite deck wet. I got a new deck, the Liz Dean Golden Tarot. L seems really drawn to this deck. The cards are larger, and fit his hands well, he likes the art style, and that the minor arcana don't have pictures like the other deck. It seems to work very well for him, and so I'm wanting to give him that deck, and just let it be his.

Is there a way to repair the wet cards in the other deck? I let them dry flat, but three of them pulled up from their backs, making them impossible to shuffle. If not, I have some other uses I can think of for them, but I'd be sad to have to loose the deck over it.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=493.msg29820#msg29820 date=1295530210]
                          Is there a way to repair the wet cards in the other deck? I let them dry flat, but three of them pulled up from their backs, making them impossible to shuffle. If not, I have some other uses I can think of for them, but I'd be sad to have to loose the deck over it.
                          [/quote]

I don't think so.

Anything I can think of to do would still make them *stand out* in the shuffle, or would make them difficult to shuffle.

Although, I do have a friend that mounted her major arcana of a ruined deck onto a canvas board and made them into a decoupage sort of thing, and does her "readings" by tossing a handful of objects symbolizing different things on them (I know one or two of them are monopoly pieces, but I don't know the particulars). Sort of a combination of divination styles...and pretty artwork to hang on the wall when not in use.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmm...interesting, Thal!

I've been wanting to take part of the deck, and use it to make a Deck of Many Things for D&D (yep, there's actually a reason I called Friday Nights that...I'm a dork). I hadn't thought of using them for decoupage, though. That could be really awesome, especially since I've been thinking that if I end up with multiple sets running around, I want a box or small chest to house them in.

Comment

I bought the only Tarot deck sold in the shop, Tarot de Marseille deck. I had been to see a psychic. The Emperor came up and she was able to discribe him right down to what he drove. Despite both him and the psychic telling me it is over with his ex, my gut is telling me other wise and I felt I needed more guidance.

Comment

minou....I'm very interested in your story, but is there a question attached? If so, I'm sorry, but it passed me over!

Comment

Working...
                                X