This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarot Q&A and Discussion

I'm looking into picking up Tarot. My primary divination tool has been runes, but I would like to expand my knowledge on different kinds of divinatory tools and it's a shame I never spent enough time learning to use the cards! I have several sets but never learned to use them properly.

I'd like to find some reputable sources for learning it. Might anyone have any links or book references to share? Any practices or tips for newbies?

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

this one I have had recommended to me, I've just never picked it up, lol )a review!)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Which sets do you have? It's important because basically the tarot is all about getting to grips with the iconography. And in that sense - for the major arcana at least - the iconography is actually hidden in the cards (or should be, IMO).

One thing I would say is to guard against relying on too many books because it gets confusing. Yes, you need to read widely at first, but then settle on just one or two, you tend to learn more quickly that way. Or at least, that's been my experience.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My personal faves are Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom - there's 2 volumes. She ties the cards together into a cohesive story, so you can see the progression from the Minor Arcana into the Major Arcana.

I also enjoy using 'workbook' style Tarot guides because they give me a comprehensive journal and notes by the time I'm done w/the book.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=493.msg6865#msg6865 date=1288077826]
          Which sets do you have? It's important because basically the tarot is all about getting to grips with the iconography. And in that sense - for the major arcana at least - the iconography is actually hidden in the cards (or should be, IMO).
          [/quote]

Yeah, I tend to like the book that comes with the deck.

I mean, sure...it misses some of the other aspects of a "traditional" Raider-Waite deck, but if I'd wanted to work with that imagery, I'd be using that deck!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Since I just started working with Tarot a few months ago, I've noticed that with the Raider Waite deck I got, most of the time I'm more successful if I rely on my own intuition, particularly after I spent the first few weeks getting a feel for the major cards, particularly ones that show up often for me.

If I'm stumped, I take a look at the book that came with them, however, too much time with the book, or too much time browsing what others have to say online, etc, and all I do is give myself a headache.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=493.msg6762#msg6762 date=1288047917]
              this one I have had recommended to me, I've just never picked it up, lol )a review!)
              [/quote]
              This one looks good, thanks! I like books that include some practicality while dealing with spiritual subjects. That's part of why I liked Witchcrafting so much.

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=493.msg6865#msg6865 date=1288077826]
              [/quote]
              I was given a set of Goddess cards from - I think - TempestBrewer a long time ago. I never really used them because after a while of working with them, I had to realize they just weren't for me. Having a goddess for each card just didn't work for me. The cards never made sense.
              I have the miniature version of the Pagan Tarot, which I really like because the imagery is easily translated. I really wish I had the regular sized deck but at least the minis are easier to pack.
              And of course I've got the classic Rider Waite. (Bought them at Guntown Mountain at the Magic Shop when I was 11! My little brother picked a simple ball/cup trick and I went straight to the cards. Mom and Dad had a little discussion before they let me get them.) Those are the ones I have used most often in the past.

I use different types of divination fairly often but the thing with which I don't feel comfortable yet with the cards is process of laying them out. For instance, I mostly use runes and bones and other things which usually involve throwing and analyzing. With the cards, I'm never sure of which spread to use, how (or whether) to interpret different positions, and that kind of thing.

Most of all, I don't feel like I have a close enough relationship with the cards. I suppose that only time and practice will change that, of course.

As for this site that you used, Thal - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ - is that a good site to learn from? Or has anyone used it?

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=493.msg7227#msg7227 date=1288185991]
                As for this site that you used, Thal - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ - is that a good site to learn from? Or has anyone used it?
                [/quote]

I've mainly used it for reviews...but they do have a section with some learning basics that looks pretty good, you can probably get as much info out of it as a basic level book.
                sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=493.msg7227#msg7227 date=1288185991]
                  [/quote]

I mostly use aeclectic to look at the pictures of the cards, to see if I want to buy yet another deck. The forums are pretty interesting, though - and you get to learn not just about using the cards for divination, but the history & philosophy of the cards & those who created them.

Comment

Tarot Q&A

Do you ever feel like you've "used up" your tarot cards? I've had the same deck since I was a teen, and it's always been good to me - but for the last few months, I've wanted nothing to do with it. It feels...dirty. Not like "Oh, I can do a cleansing and all will be well", but more like I don't ever want to touch it again.

Does this mean it's time for a new deck? Or is it totally psychosomatic and I'm just being crazy?

Mostly art.

Comment

Re: Tarot Card Question

well if theres nothing wrong with it but you outgrew eachother then give it to someone that would appreciate it. it was good to you. dont just trash it or burn it, give it to someone maybe thats new to learn with.
                      "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=886.msg15343#msg15343 date=1290285266]
                        Do you ever feel like you've "used up" your tarot cards? I've had the same deck since I was a teen, and it's always been good to me - but for the last few months, I've wanted nothing to do with it. It feels...dirty. Not like "Oh, I can do a cleansing and all will be well", but more like I don't ever want to touch it again.

Does this mean it's time for a new deck? Or is it totally psychosomatic and I'm just being crazy?
                        [/quote]

Eh, put it away for awhile. I've thrown or given away perfectly decent decks only to regret it a year later.

Comment

I vote put it away....and buy a new deck! Who cares if it's psychosomatic, it's a good excuse to ogle all the cool artwork on a new set of cards.
                          The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

[quote author=Madness link=topic=886.msg15526#msg15526 date=1290315097]
                            I vote put it away....and buy a new deck! Who cares if it's psychosomatic, it's a good excuse to ogle all the cool artwork on a new set of cards.
                            [/quote]

agreed. maybe these cards just aren't right for you right now. you may regret losing them.
                            sigpic

Comment

About Tarot...?

For those of you who use tarot or have in the past. I have a few questions.
                              Before you used them, did you feel a strange calling TO use them? I don't know if that make sense or now.
                              What are your opinions of them? Do you feel they are trustworthy? safe?
                              These questions might seem strange to those who have log been associated with them, but as person searching for her soul, I would really like to know your feelings.

Comment

Working...
                              X