Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

Tarot Q&A and Discussion

I'm looking into picking up Tarot. My primary divination tool has been runes, but I would like to expand my knowledge on different kinds of divinatory tools and it's a shame I never spent enough time learning to use the cards! I have several sets but never learned to use them properly.

I'd like to find some reputable sources for learning it. Might anyone have any links or book references to share? Any practices or tips for newbies?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

this one I have had recommended to me, I've just never picked it up, lol )a review!)
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Which sets do you have? It's important because basically the tarot is all about getting to grips with the iconography. And in that sense - for the major arcana at least - the iconography is actually hidden in the cards (or should be, IMO).

One thing I would say is to guard against relying on too many books because it gets confusing. Yes, you need to read widely at first, but then settle on just one or two, you tend to learn more quickly that way. Or at least, that's been my experience.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

My personal faves are Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom - there's 2 volumes. She ties the cards together into a cohesive story, so you can see the progression from the Minor Arcana into the Major Arcana.

I also enjoy using 'workbook' style Tarot guides because they give me a comprehensive journal and notes by the time I'm done w/the book.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=493.msg6865#msg6865 date=1288077826]
    Which sets do you have? It's important because basically the tarot is all about getting to grips with the iconography. And in that sense - for the major arcana at least - the iconography is actually hidden in the cards (or should be, IMO).
    [/quote]

Yeah, I tend to like the book that comes with the deck.

I mean, sure...it misses some of the other aspects of a "traditional" Raider-Waite deck, but if I'd wanted to work with that imagery, I'd be using that deck!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Since I just started working with Tarot a few months ago, I've noticed that with the Raider Waite deck I got, most of the time I'm more successful if I rely on my own intuition, particularly after I spent the first few weeks getting a feel for the major cards, particularly ones that show up often for me.

If I'm stumped, I take a look at the book that came with them, however, too much time with the book, or too much time browsing what others have to say online, etc, and all I do is give myself a headache.

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=493.msg6762#msg6762 date=1288047917]
    this one I have had recommended to me, I've just never picked it up, lol )a review!)
    [/quote]
    This one looks good, thanks! I like books that include some practicality while dealing with spiritual subjects. That's part of why I liked Witchcrafting so much.

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=493.msg6865#msg6865 date=1288077826]
    [/quote]
    I was given a set of Goddess cards from - I think - TempestBrewer a long time ago. I never really used them because after a while of working with them, I had to realize they just weren't for me. Having a goddess for each card just didn't work for me. The cards never made sense.
    I have the miniature version of the Pagan Tarot, which I really like because the imagery is easily translated. I really wish I had the regular sized deck but at least the minis are easier to pack.
    And of course I've got the classic Rider Waite. (Bought them at Guntown Mountain at the Magic Shop when I was 11! My little brother picked a simple ball/cup trick and I went straight to the cards. Mom and Dad had a little discussion before they let me get them.) Those are the ones I have used most often in the past.

I use different types of divination fairly often but the thing with which I don't feel comfortable yet with the cards is process of laying them out. For instance, I mostly use runes and bones and other things which usually involve throwing and analyzing. With the cards, I'm never sure of which spread to use, how (or whether) to interpret different positions, and that kind of thing.

Most of all, I don't feel like I have a close enough relationship with the cards. I suppose that only time and practice will change that, of course.

As for this site that you used, Thal - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ - is that a good site to learn from? Or has anyone used it?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=493.msg7227#msg7227 date=1288185991]
    As for this site that you used, Thal - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/ - is that a good site to learn from? Or has anyone used it?
    [/quote]

I've mainly used it for reviews...but they do have a section with some learning basics that looks pretty good, you can probably get as much info out of it as a basic level book.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=493.msg7227#msg7227 date=1288185991]
    [/quote]

I mostly use aeclectic to look at the pictures of the cards, to see if I want to buy yet another deck. The forums are pretty interesting, though - and you get to learn not just about using the cards for divination, but the history & philosophy of the cards & those who created them.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Tarot Q&A

Do you ever feel like you've "used up" your tarot cards? I've had the same deck since I was a teen, and it's always been good to me - but for the last few months, I've wanted nothing to do with it. It feels...dirty. Not like "Oh, I can do a cleansing and all will be well", but more like I don't ever want to touch it again.

Does this mean it's time for a new deck? Or is it totally psychosomatic and I'm just being crazy?
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell