what gods are..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what gods are..?

Hey guys, I've been reading that some gods have a closer relationship with there followers then others. Like some people say they're very close to ther gods yet others say they havent had any experiences with theirs.So could someone give me some examples of a few gods that tend to be close to there followers? Is Apollo one of them?

Re: what gods are..?

I was really into Apollo when I was eclectic and just starting out, but I never got much from him. I think every God can be close to somebody though. That's why, historically, certain people would be priests to certain Gods- because those people felt specifically close to that deity.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

It strikes me as being a temperament thing on both ends.

Different people need different things from The Divine. Relationships range all over from distant to very intimate(and different kinds of intimate) just like relationships between two people do. Some people seem honestly more comfortable with a more distant relationship, and I think it would make them intensely uncomfortable if some of the more dramatic things that others experience happened to them...so it doesn't work that way.

Some gods favor one type of relationship over another. For example, I keep running into people who have a very close relationship with Freya, but I've never, ever run into someone with a remotely casual/close relationship to Tyr. I'm beginning to think he simply does not work that way, and a degree of formality and distance is needed with him.

On the other hand, just because someone else *might* have a close relationship with Freya(as per my example), doesn't mean you will, too. You might be the wrong personality to grab her attention, you might need time, or have other lessons and mentors you need, or a dozen other potential issues.

My advice? Read, read, read...archeology, history, mythology. See what starts to catch your attention, learn your lore and stay open to see if a deity approaches you, rather then the other way around.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thanks guys, is Poseidon often one of thoe gods? I want my patron to be one of those gods that are very close to their followers and make thereselves known to there followers

Comment

Originally posted by ColeJack View Post
          Thanks guys, is Poseidon often one of thoe gods? I want my patron to be one of those gods that are very close to their followers and make thereselves known to there followers
          It's really not a question that can be given a simple yes or no answer. Just because some people have a close relationship with Poseidon doesn't mean that you will. There is no real guarantee here. The only person who will be able to answer this is you, and only after you've done the work and put the effort into establishing a relationship. No one else can really know this for you.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

...it also depends on what you mean by "make themselves known".

...or on what you consider the gods to actually *be*.

I live by the beach...I hang with Neptune on a regular basis...but in rather indirect ways.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
              It's really not a question that can be given a simple yes or no answer. Just because some people have a close relationship with Poseidon doesn't mean that you will. There is no real guarantee here. The only person who will be able to answer this is you, and only after you've done the work and put the effort into establishing a relationship. No one else can really know this for you.
              Yeah, this. different people feel closer to different gods, and it's somethign that can wax and wane over time, and your closeness to and distance frmo may even change from one deity to another.

I'll tell you though, how close you feel isn't even a good singular measure of anything. I'm a devotee of Apollo myself, and for a while, I've felt rather distant. Through the distance though, I feel that in the last several months, he's been more a part of my life than even in some of the times when I've felt the closest.

there's just so much more to it than what other people experience and what the gods are known for historically. Picking a god because you see a whole forum full of other people claiming to have close experiecnes with that deity is a bad idea. In my estimation, you're more likely to have that sort of experience with a deity whose attributes and areas of provenance are somehow right for you- be it somethign that you're more attuned to, or perhaps in need of, even if it's not immediately obvious. In all the distance I've felt, I'm only, I think, figuring out in the last several months, a lot of *why* I've felt so close to Apollo, and I never went looking for him, he just kinda dropped into my life one day.
              Memories of Pain and Light: http://painandlight.wordpress.com

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Comment

In my experience, any deities can become very close to their followers. The trick is finding one that likes you. I would suggest just looking through lists of deity names and meditating on a handful of the ones that stick out to you. If you feel a connection, then you've got an interested deity. If you don't initially feel a connection, start carrying around some symbol of a deity each day. Eventually, you'll probably get a hit.
                And if you're into it, you could try a directionless prayer and just see who gets back to you on it.
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Meeting "gods" is much like meeting people. There are some that are so alluring and attractive and powerful that you can't help but want to be around them - but they may not always connect deeply with you. Then, there are others that require some digging to get to know. You might have to climb over their wall, or spend some time getting to know them before they'd ever consider revealing truths to you - but generally, once you're "friends" with them, they're your friend for life. There are others that you are always happy to see but the two of you just come and go in each other's lives.

I don't think you want a god who wants followers - you want a relationship with one of them, and those take time. Sometimes it takes patience. Always, it takes understanding. No one can tell you what god is going to be good for you. That is why we call it a path; because the road ahead could be long indeed, and it's always, always, always about the journey.

If you find a god that you're interested in then do not hesitate to investigate further. Do some research. Pray/spell/ceremony/ritual/whatever in their honor. Show them that you mean business. Listen to your spirit - if something is really laid on your heart then don't let go if they don't respond immediately. But if you get discouraged easily and find your gusto lessening, thank them for their time and try someone else.
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                  X