Make-up! and all things beauty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make-up! and all things beauty!

Right, the hair issue I am having is two-fold but interrelated.

My natural hair colour is red, but due to a short goth phase as well has teasing, I started dying my hair black when I was about 14 or 15. I've often thought about going red again, especially when I see how amazing it looks on some girls. The thing is, I really don't know how to start making the switch. Do I get my hair stripped, and if so, will it damage my hair? Do I just grow it out and wear head scarfs to hide the roots (not my favourite option), or maybe keep using semi-permanent dyes?

I'd prefer a route that's not too costly and it might be a while before I've fully made up my mind about switching back, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any knowledge or experience on the subject.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

My natural hair colour is red, but due to a short goth phase as well has teasing, I started dying my hair black when I was about 14 or 15. I've often thought about going red again, especially when I see how amazing it looks on some girls. The thing is, I really don't know how to start making the switch. Do I get my hair stripped, and if so, will it damage my hair? Do I just grow it out and wear head scarfs to hide the roots (not my favourite option), or maybe keep using semi-permanent dyes?

I'd prefer a route that's not too costly and it might be a while before I've fully made up my mind about switching back, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any knowledge or experience on the subject.
      My natural hair color is brownish/red and I did the same thing and dyed my hair black and regretted it. I waited a week or two and let the black fade a bit. Then try to dyed over it my natural color. That way when my hair grew out you could barely tell my where my roots stopped and the dye started.

Stripping is VERY damaging to hair. Also there is also the option of buying a wig while your natural color comes in, though that can be rather expensive.
      sigpic

Comment

I dunno. I think there is such a build up of colour now, that it could be hard to lighten it if I died it red. I have thought about going for a reddish-black, as I might get away with the roots for longer. I did suspect that stripping would be bad, although someone once told me that regularly dying your hair, especially dark colours, can cause build up that should be stripped off every few years.

It's interesting that you mentioned the wig. I have been considering buying one for some of my summer outfits anyway, but I'm worried about not finding a natural enough looking one. I know I couldn't afford real hair, and I imagine nylon would go frizzy after a while.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I dunno. I think there is such a build up of colour now, that it could be hard to lighten it if I died it red. I have thought about going for a reddish-black, as I might get away with the roots for longer. I did suspect that stripping would be bad, although someone once told me that regularly dying your hair, especially dark colours, can cause build up that should be stripped off every few years.

It's interesting that you mentioned the wig. I have been considering buying one for some of my summer outfits anyway, but I'm worried about not finding a natural enough looking one. I know I couldn't afford real hair, and I imagine nylon would go frizzy after a while.
          A good friend of mine just got a wig because she is growing her hair out. Her hair is about 2 inches long and there was no way to grow it without looking silly. Anywho the wig looks FABULOUS. I was quite impressed, if you go to a good enough place they will help you find one that looks suitable on you. Because what looks natural on you could look fake on someone else.
          sigpic

Comment

If you are willing to cut it, stripping isn't that bad of an option. I mean...sure its bad for your hair, but you are only doing it once. Look around (and ask people whose hair you like who they go to) and find a good stylist. Go to them and talk to them before hand. Tell them you are looking to go back to your natural color (or a lighter color, whatever) and ask them what sort of short style would go with your face, and would minimize the appearance of damage from stripping and over-dyeing. Trims to keep your hair in the same style, or letting it grow out for a new style and getting it cut will take care of the area thats been damaged from stripping. And, tbh...most of the problem (in terms of appearance) with stripping is in the ends of your hair anyhow, where your ends are already split or stresses from heat damage.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              If you are willing to cut it, stripping isn't that bad of an option. I mean...sure its bad for your hair, but you are only doing it once. Look around (and ask people whose hair you like who they go to) and find a good stylist. Go to them and talk to them before hand. Tell them you are looking to go back to your natural color (or a lighter color, whatever) and ask them what sort of short style would go with your face, and would minimize the appearance of damage from stripping and over-dyeing. Trims to keep your hair in the same style, or letting it grow out for a new style and getting it cut will take care of the area thats been damaged from stripping. And, tbh...most of the problem (in terms of appearance) with stripping is in the ends of your hair anyhow, where your ends are already split or stresses from heat damage.
              Great idea!
              sigpic

Comment

You see.. my hair is quite short and punky. It's kinda like a mullet in fact. I jus don't see it looking right with red hair. I think I'd look like some kind of Brian Froud faerie.

I'll probably try both routes. I've been after a red wig for a while anyway, as I need one to go with an outfit my mum made, so if I get a good enough one, I'll get my hair stripped, but wear the wig while it is growing out a little. When I think about it, my hair sorta looks like a wig anyway. I bet I could tell someone it is and they'd easily believe me.

Comment

You see.. my hair is quite short and punky. It's kinda like a mullet in fact. I jus don't see it looking right with red hair. I think I'd look like some kind of Brian Froud faerie.

I'll probably try both routes. I've been after a red wig for a while anyway, as I need one to go with an outfit my mum made, so if I get a good enough one, I'll get my hair stripped, but wear the wig while it is growing out a little. When I think about it, my hair sorta looks like a wig anyway. I bet I could tell someone it is and they'd easily believe me.
                  you could do a cute pixie cut with red hair like these
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow! That first one actually might work for me! I'm not sure when I'll get to shop for wigs, but I'll definitely do this first before I go ahead with stripping (never thought I'd use THAT sentence again).

Comment

So as a teenager I never had acne or zits but now (I am 23) I get 4-10 pimples around my mouth usually when I am about to start my period... So I figure it must be a hormone imbalance?? Any who I bought some clean and clear face wash and it made my skin really dry and then caused even more pimples.

So I stopped using that... But any ideas on what I could use?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                        So as a teenager I never had acne or zits but now (I am 23) I get 4-10 pimples around my mouth usually when I am about to start my period... So I figure it must be a hormone imbalance?? Any who I bought some clean and clear face wash and it made my skin really dry and then caused even more pimples.

Maybe not a viable option, but I found when I gave up sugar I stopped getting zits.

By the way, this thread is amazing! (and Medusa, your before-and-after pics were awesome!)

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post

Cetaphyl. Dermatologists use this very mild daily soap. There is no drying properties whatsoever. It's simple, it's cheap, it works.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

A natural remedy for zits is rosewater (not with glycerin, buy it in a food store) and if you need something stronger try orange flower water. It's very good.
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

My acne as a kid was so bad that hormone therapy and steroid creams didn't even clear it up. I have sensitibe skin so most spot products just dried it out and made it red and sore. Red sore skin with spots is not a pretty sight.

Then I read a teen magazine, where a makeup artist was asked what she recommends her teenaged models do if they get spots, and she said Savlon. I dunno if this is an international brand or not, but it's basically that yellow antiseptic people use to clean wounds etc. She said use this, diluted as directed, as you'd use a toner. So I gave it a go and shocked my dermatologist when I turned up to my next appointment almost spot free.

I do still get spots, but then again, I don't use the savlon daily anymore because I ran out and never bothered to replace it (a bottle lasts me almost a year though, and is only a few pounds, so I've no excuse). It doesn't burn my skin or dry it out and is suitable for all skin types apparently.

Oh and on just one giant puss jewel, you can always dab on a bit of toothpaste to shrink the swelling!

Comment

I have this great shade of RED RED RED lipstick...but I am a makeup retard and while you'd THINK I could manage to put lipstick on, it doesn't quite work. There's always just a little something over one way that I have to wipe off (yeah, good luck wiping fire truck red off of my pale as the moon skin) etc. But I love my lips and would like to, when I feel so inclined, be able to adorn them with fun lipsticks!

Got any tips on the best way to apply lipstick? I love the shape of my lips so I want them to look perfect and attract attention.
                                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                                X