Why Do you Practice Magic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Do you Practice Magic?

I'm not trying to be arrogant, and I'm certainly no master of anything, but I do know a good deal about energy, magic, ect. I just don't know why, you know? I can't get behind doing it just to do it. I tried that, and I practice what I know from time to time. I trained in a reactionary way. I worked with a group of people that dealt with spiritual entities, and got a good deal of that sort of experiential work, but I don't know how to find a reason to use the magical skills that I've gained over the last four years. I was hoping to get your opinions on this. What do you all think?

Re: Why Do you Practice Magic?

I got into it as a spiritual practice, to be honest. It gives me a different perspective of how to connect to the Divine and the energies around me.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Like Caelia, magic was an extension of my spirituality. I have been pretty much in tune with my own energies since I got a feel for them. Magic is my connection to gods and spirits. The way I practice rituals are comparable to prayer, just more tangible.

Comment

I'm not sure what started me on it. Probably just curiosity, after reading Uncle Bucky's "Candle Magic". All these years later, I still practice simply because it feels appropriate. I'd follow suit with the spiritual connection but even when I develop contempt, in that arena, the magic is still there, which makes me think it's more out of habit or that it's just become a part of who I am.

That said, I don't actually do spellwork as often as some would think I do. There's been times that 'several times a day' was certainly accurate but these days (for the last three years, or so) once or twice a week would be abnormally frequent. Magic is just there and I turn on that tap when I feel I 'need to'.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

It's there, it's useful under the right conditions and I don't have a compelling reason not to.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm practical.

If I feel that something isn't working out how I want it to via practical means, I'll throw a little craft in there for oomph. Or I used to, anyway. It's been many moons since I've done any witchcraft - at least four years. I used it a lot when I was job hunting.

I've been feeling called back to it, probably because of returning to Luna's influence... but I have nothing at stake right now that would benefit from magic. :P
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I got into to it because I always wanted to believe there was more to life than the everyday boring stuff. I was also 13 years old at the time. It wasn't about spirituality for me until I was about 15. I use it a lot less then I used to now, but when I do it involves either energy work or simple and personal spells.

Comment

Thank you all for your response. I guess that is kind of why I do it too. I guess we're all just looking for a way to connect to the world guide ourselves in the right direction.

On top of seeing these posts, I had a good experience today that solidified it. I decided to do some meditation work and realized that it was not different from the magic work that I've done. Then I heard some rustling and found that I was surrounded, at a slight distance, by three baby dear. It helped me to realize how important that awareness of self is. Though I sometimes forget. Thank you all again.

Comment

Why do I practise magic?

Because it works.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    Why do I practise magic?

Because it works.
                    Simple and true. I also like to "practice" the understanding that we are all connected and if I am connected to every thing on the planet maybe I can learn to be more like the divine things in nature instead of a flawed, self centered, narcissistic, worry wart that I am.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      Why do I practise magic?

Because it works.
                      I love this XD
                      To quote the Halloween town movie, magic is about wanting something and letting yourself have it. That can be an extension of faith and connection to a deity or something more trivial like stopping your flowers from dying.
                      Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                        I love this XD
                        To quote the Halloween town movie, magic is about wanting something and letting yourself have it. That can be an extension of faith and connection to a deity or something more trivial like stopping your flowers from dying.
                        YAY CORVUS! I love that movie (long time no see btw)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
                          YAY CORVUS! I love that movie (long time no see btw)
                          Hey 've missed you dear
                          Circe

Comment

hmm why do I? honestly.. I wish I could find the exerpt from Dragonlance that is basically the perfect example... im addicted to the feel of the energy coursing through me...
                            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X