Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A random test...for the US members

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    DO NOT LOOK AT WHAT ANYONE ELSE HAS POSTED!!

Or at least try not to let it affect you if you have it set up newest first...

Name 10 people from American history that are not primarily remembered for being president, military leaders or statesmen, etc.

If you were wondering why I asked, its because this is mentioned in the book Lies My Teacher Told Me (which I'm now reading), as an informal study done by a history professor for his first year students, and the hubby and I are getting a kick out of trying to list all the ones I can think of...but I sort of want to see if there's a pattern that matches what he's alluding to.
    Lewis
    Clark
    George Washington Carver
    ...shit...I'm remembering the things that they did, but not the f'ing names...how irritating...
    Sam Clemens
    Charles Manson
    William Henry McCarty, Jr.
    PT Barnum
    ...ok...I'm almost giving up. Instead, I'll cheat.

Bud Abott
    Lou Costello
    Mary Lou Reton

Comment

We all seem to know a lot of criminals and black people.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Neil Armstrong
        Mark Twain
        Wyatt Earp
        Thomas Edison
        Marilyn Monroe
        Betsy Ross
        Bob Hope
        Babe Ruth
        Wright Brothers (counts as 1) :=o:
        Bill Gates

Comment

Ok, I'm probably going to embarrass myself here as I'm not sure I can do this...here goes!

Uh...

1. Betsy Ross
          2. Susan B Anthony
          3. Frederick Douglass
          4. Thomas Edison
          5. Nikola Tesla
          6. William Shockley
          8. Robert Oppenheimer
          9. John Rockefeller
          10. Walt Whitman

Oh, that ended up being easy once I realized I could toss scientists in there! The only mildly obscure one is Shockley but he co-invented the transistor, so I'd say that's pretty major. I tried to leave out artists, movie stars, authors, etc - even the really influential ones like Ansel Adams, Tom Mix and Earnest Hemingway.
          The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              I'm not American but I tried to make a list and my first three choices were black people. The reason is because my mind kept telling me it's a trick question from thalassa and it's supposed to like show that there's a conspiracy that makes us only think of white people or only men etc.

So I kept thinking of black people and women!

Here's my list (sorta):
              1. Malcolm X
              2. Martin Luther King
              3. Muhammad Ali
              4. Thomas Edison
              5. Einstein
              6. Wright Brothers
              7. Homer Simpson
              8. Charlie Chaplin
              9. Marilyn Monroe
              10. Rosa Parks
              [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                It's because the only people we can remember who weren't politicians or 'statesmen' were black or criminals.

There are some wimmin here. It's amazing any of us have heard of women other than Marilyn Monroe who aren't also criminals.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well, I can toss up more Supreme Court Justices. Only problem is they could theoretically count as statesmen. If my interest in the court was anything other than excessively casual, I could toss up names from varying cases. Actually, I can do that anyway but it would largely be restricted to last names and some of them still count as criminals.

Otherwise, shrug, there are a handful of other names at my disposal but they're sufficiently obscure that I don't care to explain why I know them. That and at least one counts as a political figure.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Bob Dylan
                    Bob Hope
                    Johnny Carson
                    Thomas Edison
                    Madonna
                    Jimmy Hendrix
                    Howdy Doodey*
                    Humphrey Bogart
                    Roy Rogers
                    Henry Ford

* not a real person, I suspect.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                      I'm not American but I tried to make a list and my first three choices were black people. The reason is because my mind kept telling me it's a trick question from thalassa and it's supposed to like show that there's a conspiracy that makes us only think of white people or only men etc.
                      Lol, a trick question from me? NEVER!!

Anyhoo...the question was actually supposed to be fore before the Civil War, but even the hubby and I had enough problems with that (and we do CW reenacment!!) that I expanded the question a bit.

Its not so much a trick question as it is...well, here...I'll quote the comment from the book:

For some years now, Michael Frisch has been conducting an experiment
                      in social archetypes at the State University of New York at Buffalo. He asks his
                      first-year college students for "the first ten names that you think of" in American
                      history before the Civil War. When Frisch found that his students listed the
                      same political and military figures year after year, replicating the privileged positions
                      afforded them in high school textbooks, he added the proviso, "excluding
                      presidents, generals, statesmen, etc" Frisch still gets a stable list, but one less predictable
                      on the basis of history textbooks. Seven years out of eight, Betsy Ross
                      has led the list. (Paul Revere usually comes in second.)
                      Obviously its much easier to do since I expanded the time period, and we remember other leading figures more easily...but I still saw a Betsy Ross!

And...her "feat" is a myth!
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        And...her "feat" is a myth!
                        Most people in the typical American high school history books performed mythological feats - like Columbus 'discovering' America, lol.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Rosa parks
                          Martin Luther King Jr
                          Elizabeth Cady Stanton
                          Angela Davis
                          George Washington Carver
                          Malcolm X
                          Abby Kelley
                          Bill Ayers
                          Ruth Bader Ginsburg (or, if she doesn’t count, Sacagawea)
                          Melvil Dewey

Comment

1. Nikola Tesla
                            2. George Washington Carver
                            3. Crispus Attucks
                            4. Eli Whitney
                            5. Thomas Paine
                            6. Malcolm X
                            7. Sacagawea
                            8. John Brown
                            9. P T Barnum
                            10. Dred Scott
                            There once was a man who said though,
                            It seems that I know that I know,
                            What I'd like to see,
                            Is the I that knows me,
                            When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                              Most people in the typical American high school history books performed mythological feats - like Columbus 'discovering' America, lol.
                              That was one of the reasons school was aggravating for me. I pointed out that Columbus didn't really discover America and the teacher tried to discredit me. She acknowledged the Native Americans were there first, but I guess they "don't count".
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                              surrounded by plush, downy things,
                              ill prepared, but willing,
                              to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X