X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basics of Identifying and Researching Plants

http://walkingthehedge.net/blog/2008...hing-you-need/
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Basics of Identifying and Researching Plants

Is there a second lesson/article?
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Not from that author, and I sort of forgot about this thread, lol...I'll see what other goodies I can dig up.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Excellent post! Another thing - wash your hands afterwards. Just in case. People often forget that some of the most powerful poisons known to man are plant based. And even things that are edible can become toxic in certain circumstances.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Comment

yes there are a few germans hurraaayyyyyy and i also got a good book home for these types of things....for european plants....its called "Alles ueber Heilpflanzen" von Ursel Buehring (buchverlag Ulmer).....(english: all about healing plants).....love the book, has the seasons for harvesting and everything. awesome book!!
            i will have to check out your recommendation!!

Comment

If you are looking to seriously identify plants, you'll need at least THREE reputable field guides. I'd recommend the Petersens field guild, 'Edible Wild Plants' by Dr. John Kallas, and one or both of the books by Samuel Thayer. All can be found with a simple net search.

Also, if you truly are interested in plants, then check out the videos of folks who do it for a living. Do a search on Youtube for 'Eat the weeds' I think there are over 140 videos up there now. Also there is a main website that is a good place to start as there are over a thousand articles there on plants. They also have a forum where you can ask questions on and get answers to your unidentified plants. Most folks are pretty friendly there.

If anyone happens to have any questions on plants, I'd be happy to help. I've been doing this quite a long time.

Comment

Yeah I also have multiple field guides and find it helpful. I find though that you need different ones for Europe, because most of the stuff in English searches and on YouTube is American. Sometimes, there are some crossovers, but some things just don't grow in North America :/

I had much better luck when I decided to use German field guides. There's quite a bit of common ground between here and the U.K., but there's more of a culture of eating wild plants in Germany. Plus, since I'm in Germany, everything is totally local.

Comment

Another thing about 'plant identification'. Mushrooms and fungi are much harder for an unskilled person to identify. Many harmful mushrooms at varying stages of their life-cycle look just like harmless species (my favorite, the Destroying Angel, resembles a harmless puffball when it's young). Mushrooms and fungi will kill you a lot quicker than most misidentified plants. Don't be a novice mushroom picker - some extension offices for the Department of Agriculture or the Fish/Game/Wildlife department of your area may offer classes on mushroom picking, or visit a local mushroom-fanciers group before picking and eating anything you run across in the great outdoors.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X