how do you worship gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you worship gods

I have kindof a noob question but I feel rather disconected to my patron deities (aphrodite bast hekate and morigan) and I was wondering how the heck do you worship them? No really what do you do when praying isnt enough? How do you guys worship your deities?

Re: how do you worship gods

My patroness, Brigantia, is a local diety. She was considered the land itself, as well as a goddess in her own right. It's easy then, for me to worship her just by appreciating her presence beneith my feet. I have a feeling she really appreciates being aknowledged because she makes her presence felt far more than my former patroness (Isis), ever did. She's way more hands on somehow. Not that Isis didn't do a great job, she just had a different way of working. Brigantia seems nurturing, but a little playful too (she twists my words and encourages ironic coincidences: she also appears to read my PF posts!).

Although you might not live in the native lands of your deities, that doesn't mean you can't recreate the same experience. Have you considered experiencing your deities through hobbies or arts connected to them? Really, anything that makes you aware of your gods can help create that deep bond.

Maybe most important of all. Have you tried asking THEM how they wish you to express your devotion to them?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

My deity is a part of my every day life. I bring them into everything I do. When I wake up in the morning I light a candle and thank Apollo for bringing me the day, and I thank Artemis for keeping me safe during the night. When I take my shower I ask the God and Goddess to cleanse me and let my day start new, washing away negative energies/thoughts. When I eat my meal I thank them for finding a way to bring it to my table. When I fill my bird feeder I think of Artemis the huntress in the woods and ask this to be my offering to the wild life she loves. It is a constant attitude of gratitude for me. Then of course I honor them in my rituals, esbats, sabbats. Occasionally I do pray.. in fact the other day I recall asking Apollo to give me the strength to avoid murdering my mother... homicide is not on my to do list.
      sigpic

Comment

One of the basic ways I connect is through food and water offerings, but my religion allows me to ingest these things after they're offered.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

I don't. The divine are kids with magnifying glasses. We're the ants.

Best to keep a low profile unless they approach you 1st.
          Potius mori quam foedari!

Comment

Originally posted by Avarin View Post
            how the heck do you worship them? No really what do you do when praying isnt enough? How do you guys worship your deities?
            I do things that would be useful to what they represent. I make offerings. And I make prayer a continuous conversation. I might add that I don't have a patron deity/deities. I've been a practicing Pagan for almost 20 years now, and I've never felt compelled to do so, but I have a quite lovely relationship with several deities without them being a patron.

Also...just based on the conversations over the years I've had and overheard...you don't have to answer them here (but it might help for some others to offer better ideas for you), but at least to answer for yourself--How did you come by this relationship with your patron deities? Did you choose them, based on your interests, or did they choose you? What do you do as a part of your relationship? How long have they been your patrons? And, I don't mean this to be obnoxious, but are you *sure* they are meant to be your patrons?
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I don't worship my deities as such. I walk with them. I learn from them. And I listen. I don't think mine actually want me to 'worship' them, just to acknowledge and respect their wisdom, and hopefully incorporate it into my life. If I'm wrong about this, then I trust that they will let me know....
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I don't really pray or make offers or anything, I just silently thank them whenever something goes my way or when something bad happens that I learn a lesson from. When I'm having a really bad day or I just need someone to talk to who I know won't judge me, then I will pray, or have a silent conversation in my head with them. I think for me, my connection is mostly about my belief. On those days where I'm doubting everything about myself, I feel extremely disconnected from my deities, whereas when my belief is at its strongest, that's when I'm most connected.

~Dressagegirl.19.Female.Student.Pagan~

Comment

When I worship alone I usually go out early in the morning to a forest close to me.

I follow certain rules:
                  - purity: washing the face and hands is the least you can do to be presentable before what is holy.
                  - humility: I usually cover my head with a piece of cloth and bow certain times.
                  - smoke: I ALWAYS light incense. I'm of the belief that the words from my mouth is lifted to the heavens by the smoke.

I usually start with "hailing" (saying hello and calling upon the gods)
                  - since mine is a tradition focused on blood-rites, I usually use sprinkle some of my blood into the incense to say hi -
                  then I present the gifts: bread, alcohol and trinkets (btw, always bring gifts! makes you bond better in my experience)
                  next I give thanks and praise, sometimes I write down the prayers in rhymes other times it just comes spontaniously.
                  (then off to my requests and petitions if I got any).

In some pagan religions, the relationship between gods and mortals are based on an exchange. Give money, food or other precious things (votive gifts) to the gods in exchange for their favour. If you feel disconnected, first bring presents and worship. Then pray. If it doesn't help maybe the specific gods you're worshipping want nothing to do with you (yet) or take it as a sign to look elsewhere.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X