Which of these is chickweed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of these is chickweed?

I sort of got the hang of what it is, but I can't figure out which of these 3 it is...or are a couple of them chickweed? One has large leaves and grows upward with white flowers, the second trails a bit more and has smaller leaves, and the last trails and has small leaves and white flowers (I took a few pics to show what it is because it's small and unclear). Neither has a milky liquid coming out of it when I pinch off a stem (I know that plants that do this are usually spurge). Anyway thought I'd ask, because some people here are better at this than I am. I know chickweed is edible and healthy so if I can identify it, that would be great! Neither plant has flowers yet...too early!

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

Plant 3:

I'm thinking plant 2 and 3 are the same...just plant 2 is bigger...and it looks like what chickweed seems like in a google image search. I also get plants in searches that look like plant 1 though, so I'm confused!
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 01 Jun 2012, 03:17.

Re: Which of these is chickweed?

3 is definately chickweed, 2 is probably chickweed and 1 is not chickweed--looks like a seedling of something from the pic...though I would have to see it in flower to be sure, since our chickweed here tends to be mouse ear chickweed, and yours looks like star chickweed.

You have to remember that chickweed is not actually just one species, but a family of about 100 (give or take a few) species...about 6 or 7 of which are commonly called "chickweed".
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks a lot! That's helpful....I'll leave 1 alone then and go for 2 and 3 (if you look at them closely they're pretty much identical...just 2 different plants).

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        Thanks a lot! That's helpful....I'll leave 1 alone then and go for 2 and 3 (if you look at them closely they're pretty much identical...just 2 different plants).
        Yeah, from the pic its hard to see stems and the branching (and how hairy is is)--in conjunction with the leaf shape and flower, that's the tell-tale sign of a chickweed. Mouse ear chick weed (which has harrier stems and smaller leaves) seems to be more common in the drier and poorer soils...when I see your chickweed around here, it tends to be in a less disturbed and moister spots. Though chickweed in general does well in disturbed areas.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I grow stuff in containers and it rains here a LOT, if that helps...

Comment

....I should write and essay called "why I hate common names" and another one called "when you pick a picture of a plant for an article, pick a 'typical' image of the plant"

THIS is what I think your plant is--Stellaria media, which wiki calls "common chickweed" (but I learned as star chickweed)...versus Stellaria pubera, or star chickweed, which is a rarer native chickweed to the US (which I learned as woodland chickweed)

Scientific names are good.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah looks about right

Comment

Working...
              X