No announcement yet.

What do you hate about where you live?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you hate about where you live?

Eheh.
    I'm a person of the Pagan and the LGBT persuasion living in the bible belt.

I'll let those facts speak for themselves.

Comment

Have to agree with Jembru about the bus service. I am in a suburb about twenty minutes from the city centre and our bus service is meant to run every 10 minutes during the day. The longest I have waited for a bus so far is 45 minutes, and this is not a one off but a regular thing. The city is also not big enough for a metro or tram service so your only other choices are taxis (which charge a fortune just to get in them) or shank's pony (walk). On the plus side, being only an hour or so from the capital, the train service is generally excellent as we are a major station, with most trains from around the country stopping here on their way to London.

Another thing I hate about here is that, because we are one of the few cities without a university, the nightlife sucks and everything is so expensive. There is very little on offer, a few clubs and wine bars, and virtually no music scene unless your willing to travel out to one of the 'local' pubs. There is also very little for teenagers/young adults to do so they tend to congregate in large groups within the city centre at all hours of the day and night.

Finally, at least right now, I am hating the weather. Living in England we should in theory get all four seasons but summer seems to have taken a vacation the last few years. We are currently in June and it has done nothing but rain all month! The temperature as of right now is 14c and it is 3:30 in the afternoon! On the plus side it is currently dry but we have rain predicted for at least the next week.
      Last edited by shadow1982; 13 Jun 2012, 06:44. Reason: correct a sentence
      http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post

Something I really hate about where I live, and I'm sure there are lots of places everywhere that have his problem...but I don't live there, so I will apply this strictly to Portland, in my case. I cannot stand the large concentration of hipsters in this place. Especially the ones that live in downtown Portland.
        YES YES YES!!!

And, as I'm sure is the case with Portland as well, we get a lot of other places' hipsters. London hipsters, NY hipsters, SF hipsters, Portland hipsters....they love to flock here and talk about how "cool" Berlin is and complain about how it's getting "ruined" (they weren't even here 10 years ago!)

Comment

You must not live near Detroit then. There isn't any amount of money that could get me to move back to Michigan. :/
          I wouldn't live near the cities, either. But as soon as you get north of Claire, its a whole 'nother story.

Come North sometime, Eisheth, and I will show you beauty...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Pat Robertson and PETA...they are pretty much the worst bits of this area of Virginia.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I live in a development of what was once (and in some ways, still is) a small town. When we moved in in around 1969-1970, there was only one other development. The town had a blacksmith, a post office, a tin smith/duct work guy, a feed shop (for the horses), a grocery shop, a druggist, a couple of churches, a gas station, and an assortment of things that were needed for the town to actually be a town. There were two elementary schools and a bunch of farms.

Now, all the farms are gone, the small town charm is gone, there are tons of developments, three and a half (seriously) strip malls full of chain stores and more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Oh, and like twelve banks. No kidding. You have to drive a half hour to go anywhere worthwhile and now, local produce is non-existent and there's no sense of community whatsoever. About the only 'small town' thing left is lack of selection in terms of retail (in spite of three and a half strip malls) and gossiping locals. Both my kids are now out of high school, so I can finally consider moving elsewhere without imperiling their being in a school district.

Comment

Originally posted by CervineMaritime View Post
                Eheh.
                I'm a person of the Pagan and the LGBT persuasion living in the bible belt.

I'll let those facts speak for themselves.
                I can certainly see where that would be suboptimal.

Comment

I could probably make a daily post in this thread.
                  sigh
                  [4:82]

Comment

I actually love where I live. Scotland is the place to be!

However I think my biggest gripe would be things like public transport, which is a joke! Prices are sky high, and the services are always late. Meh.
                    Also I wish we could have a little more sun. But apart from that I love my home. X
                    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

You must not live near Detroit then. There isn't any amount of money that could get me to move back to Michigan. :/
                      I live in Saginaw (idk if you know where that is). About 2 hours away from Detroit. From what I hear though, they really are cleaning Detroit up. Sadly most of the issues I hear about happen in Flint/Saginaw and being that I work in the Trauma ICU at the biggest hospital in Saginaw, I probably hear (and take care of) the worst of it. But Michigan is obviously a shitty place to live. If you look at this [ http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/ ] Michigan has 3 cities in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the U.S. #4 is my home, #6 is Detroit, and #7 is Flint. How sad...
                      sigpic

Comment

There are maybe twenty people in my age group. I know exactly three of them by name.

I'm thinking of moving to the city, just so I have a slightly better chance of getting enough people to play a game of DnD... Of course I can't really afford to do any such thing, but I can hope in vain.

There is nothing to do here. No bookstore, no arcade, no anything really...
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Where I'm going to school, everything absolutely dies after the sun goes down and on weekends. There is n o t h i n g to do except the occasional contra. I would take advantage of the absolutely gorgeous trails and woods around here- if I had a car. Within walking distance there are literally two places to go. And one direction is all strip malls and I don't like it except the Barnes & Nobles. There is also very little cultural diversity here and what there is is really forced. You almost exclusively meet people through class and that's sad. Then again maybe my life has just become class. And i hate hate HATE living on campus. No privacy, ridiculous restrictions and ugly living spaces. And I'm sick of hearing tour groups outside my window on Sunday mornings before noon! (I like my beauty sleep, I need to stay fabulous! ;P )
                          Also a total lack of pagans ahaha.
                          I have a lot more reasons to hate my hometown but I'm almost constantly away from it and that's why.

selume proferre

Comment

Working...
                          X