Litha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Litha

Litha is coming up pretty quickly! June 21 st. Litha is the Midsummer festival celebrated on the summer solstice, and is also referred to as the Fire Festival. Summer begins on Beltane (May 1st) and ends on Lughnassadh (August 1st), with the Summer Solstice midway between the two. Sadly after the summer solstice the days will once again be growing shorter.

So here is a good source of collective information about Litha http://twopagans.com/holiday/Litha.html

Also I have a neat little concoction I wanted to share with you for the Fire Festival

3 tablespoons Epsom Salt
    2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
    1 lit match

And in 3,2,1 you have a nice little fire with no wood necessary that lasts about 15 minutes. The flames at first burn bright blue and very hot and eventually grow to about 8-10 inch flames. Please use a fire safe bowl like your cauldron and you may want to consider doing this outside on cement or if you choose indoors make sure you put something underneath your cauldron to protect your altar (or carpet) from the heat.

When I did this I doubled the amounts and put it in my fire pit outside with great results.

So what do you do for Litha? Any good spells or recipes? Please share!
    sigpic

Re: Litha

Hmm. I forgot all about this. I wonder how I can celebrate while being in the field? My work restricts the use of candles due to fire hazard.

Mostly art.

Comment

What kind of work do you do V? I may have a couple ideas.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
        What kind of work do you do V? I may have a couple ideas.
        I'm an exploration geologist!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
          I'm an exploration geologist!
          Well that sounds FABULOUS! A lot more exciting then what I do at least

Another thing that is done for Litha is more of a picnic experience. The foods for this holiday are honey, fresh vegetables, lemons, oranges, summer fruits, summer squash,
          pumpernickel bread, ale, carrot drinks, mead. St John's Wort is often used as a decoration and also flower crowns. So you could have yourself a nice little picnic while wearing a flower crown. Often this is a time to celebrate love and romance. So if you have a special some one out there you could make them something, or perhaps do a handfasting type ceremony with them.

However Litha is mostly focused on the fire aspect, it was/is believed that the Litha fire possesses great power.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X