THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

WARNING Do not mess with me today. I am upset, angry and constantly on the verge of tears because I am a woman and we have monthly insanity. Or rather, that is what normal woman have. My period has just decided to pop up and say hi for the first time in AGES and is kicking me in the baby maker with a steel toe-capped boot. Screw you mother nature! Screw you :'(
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I often see people say things like "oh, but its so bad out there today" or "I could never let my kids just go outside because *gasp* society (or crime, or "people these days" or...whatever)." And, I really just sort of shake my head. Because...if you (like me) were born in the 1980's, when (according to some of the meme's I've seen and my own childhood) you "played outside til the streetlights came on" (and without direct parental supervision), I'm here to tell you that crime rates were higher then (10 minutes of Google can direct you to any number of crime studies or the FBI's website, which pretty much tell you the same thing). Perhaps they don't seem that way. Well, there are two reasons for that--one, media distortion is worse in our 24-7 plugged in reality than it was when we were kids, and two, hindsight isn't quite as 20-20 as we'd like to think.

So, the next time you decide you just have to keep your child indoors because you don't have 20 minutes to spare to hover over them like a helicopter because you fear the world, think about what you are *actually* teaching them. You aren't teaching them to be cautious in their interactions with others, you aren't teaching them to have confidence in their experiences, and you certainly aren't teaching them how to handle themselves in public...you are teaching them fear.
      My mother used to lock me outside some days.

That is both a reflection on being born in the 70s and a rant.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
        My mother used to lock me outside some days.

That is both a reflection on being born in the 70s and a rant.
        I was born in 1959 so my youth was a bit different, however, my youngest siblings used to stay out till the lights came on but it was different in many ways. Most specifically was that the whole area raised and watched out for all the kids. I had more mother's than you could shake a stick at and could do nothing that my biological mother did not find out about. I tend to think that is why so many look back with rose colored glasses. Today, and for probably the last 20 - 25 years your lucky if you even know your next door neighbor much less have them watch your kids to keep them out of trouble. But I suppose that goes back to the old adage .. "It takes a town to raise a child!" Not saying it was better but it was a different mindset.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm still not feeling right, but I can't bring myself to sit down and do nothing. It just feels crappy to do so. X
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
            I'm still not feeling right, but I can't bring myself to sit down and do nothing. It just feels crappy to do so. X
            I hope you feel better soon xoxo
            My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I often see people say things like "oh, but its so bad out there today" or "I could never let my kids just go outside because *gasp* society (or crime, or "people these days" or...whatever)." And, I really just sort of shake my head. Because...if you (like me) were born in the 1980's, when (according to some of the meme's I've seen and my own childhood) you "played outside til the streetlights came on" (and without direct parental supervision), I'm here to tell you that crime rates were higher then (10 minutes of Google can direct you to any number of crime studies or the FBI's website, which pretty much tell you the same thing). Perhaps they don't seem that way. Well, there are two reasons for that--one, media distortion is worse in our 24-7 plugged in reality than it was when we were kids, and two, hindsight isn't quite as 20-20 as we'd like to think.

So, the next time you decide you just have to keep your child indoors because you don't have 20 minutes to spare to hover over them like a helicopter because you fear the world, think about what you are *actually* teaching them. You aren't teaching them to be cautious in their interactions with others, you aren't teaching them to have confidence in their experiences, and you certainly aren't teaching them how to handle themselves in public...you are teaching them fear.
              Yep! And that's true almost everywhere too. A lot of parents are like that back home as well and a) it's Canada, seriously, how bad can it be, and b) crime has also fallen there. When I was growing up (in the late 80s and early 90s) we used to play in an empty lot down the street without supervision. We'd bike around the neighbourhood by ourselves. When we got old enough, we were allowed to go to the store alone and play in the forest (as long as we stayed within shouting distance...there are cougars and bears in there). A kid in Victoria went missing at some point during my childhood and was never found and the case was very public....he was snatched away when his parents took their eyes off him in the park. Somehow though, that wasn't seen as a reason to not let us play alone. We got told all the time to not go off with strangers and to scream "You're not my mommy/daddy, you're a stranger!" if someone tried to take us, or we'd end up like that kid on the news, but we never got told we couldn't play outside. On top of that, we got told we -had- to play outside. It wasn't even a choice. If it was nice out, you went outside and got fresh air.

Comment

I just got this private message on fb:
                Hello there,
                I Just came across your profile and it caught my attention. You are absolutely beautiful & radiantly elegant, You look pretty interesting too. It would be nice if we could get to Know Each Other Much better. I hope to Hear from you soon. Warm Hugs.

I do not know the guy, and if you aren't on my friends list you can't see anything except my profile pic & cover pic, WHICH ARE BOTH OF ANIMALS! This crap just amazes me! LOL I almost feel like replying something really sarcactic back, like "Was it the horses you found beautiful and the parrot elegant, or the other way around? Which one did you think looked radiant? Why?" but I'd probably just get into some sort of trouble...........hehehehehehehe
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                  Hello there,
                  I Just came across your profile and it caught my attention. You are absolutely beautiful & radiantly elegant, You look pretty interesting too. It would be nice if we could get to Know Each Other Much better. I hope to Hear from you soon. Warm Hugs.

I do not know the guy, and if you aren't on my friends list you can't see anything except my profile pic & cover pic, WHICH ARE BOTH OF ANIMALS! This crap just amazes me! LOL I almost feel like replying something really sarcactic back, like "Was it the horses you found beautiful and the parrot elegant, or the other way around? Which one did you think looked radiant? Why?" but I'd probably just get into some sort of trouble...........hehehehehehehe

Wow. The guy must really be into animals.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Hello there,

That's one where you find the most disgusting picture of a person of your gender then send it to them saying it's the most recent of you and do they still want to get together.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                      Wow. The guy must really be into animals.
                      It wouldn't surprise me. I also just got another one from someone in another country. I haven't changed my privacy settings. I don't like this.

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      That's one where you find the most disgusting picture of a person of your gender then send it to them saying it's the most recent of you and do they still want to get together.
                      LOL!!! I'll see if this continues....and I just might do that, if it does!
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                        feel better soon!!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        O_O LMAO!!!

Comment

Hello there,

Gahaha.
                          You should tell him the species gap would put too much pressure on your relationship, and it could just never work.
                          He'll be crestfallen.

Comment

Lol wow that is really special.

And I thought I got some crazy weird messages on FB sometimes.
                            It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                            -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Defo the cold. Yup. I have the cold. X

Comment

I am usually psyched for Project Runway every week, but this recent episode was about makeovers, mostly of stay-at-home moms, and that always bums me out. A bunch of women talk about how they don't have social or personal lives because all they do is take care of their family and house, and they all sound exactly like me.

Comment

Working...
                                X