THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

It is ridiculous how laws are interpreted. I'm not one for setting laws in stone, there are exceptions that should be allowed, but the examples you gave, loststarshine, are outrageous.

- - - Updated - - -

What the heck is wrong with people???!!!

Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence for Torturing [and killing] Puppy in Front of Daughter

Comment

http://strandedalien.wordpress.com/2...nsas%C2%A0law/

I am glad he is facing serious charges. Animal cruelty wasnt always considered a serious offensense.

Comment

Being positive all the time. This whole skittle-farts-and-half-clad-leprechauns attitude that everything in the world would just fix itself if we'd all smile and be sickeningly sweet to each other all the time. To me, this is just a way of burying your head in the sand. Negative/positive is a false dichotomy; nobody wants to be seen as negative, but - in being ever-positive - they let bad things thrive through their lack of care. Sometimes one person's happiness occurs at the expense of others - and sometimes I have to overemphasize my recognition of the negative because others won't recognize it at all.
        OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
        The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
        Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

I feel nauseated again. Can I just be properly sick instead of randomly feeling sort of horrible every few days?

It's not even like I've been pushing myself hard or anything. I barely go out (and when I do, it's never late), I get lots of sleep, I work from home in a quiet, relaxing environment....

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I feel nauseated again. Can I just be properly sick instead of randomly feeling sort of horrible every few days?

It's not even like I've been pushing myself hard or anything. I barely go out (and when I do, it's never late), I get lots of sleep, I work from home in a quiet, relaxing environment....
            I'm sorry you feel bad. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Comment

I got called into my boss' office the other day. He sat me down. He asked me what's been wrong lately, since he's been receiving complaints about me, and he doesn't normally. Apparently, I lack focus at my retail job, and need to do a better job of staying on task. I need to stop chatting with people, or texting on my phone, or eating outside of my one break per day.

Everyone else does it, too. But I was the only one that got called into his office to chat. My response was to inform him that everyone else does it too, and that no, I wouldn't give examples, because my coworkers are my friends, and he can't ask me to do that for him. And that I'm tired of working there, and I've been keeping an eye out for something better. And then I related a story to him about how I was hiking with a friend last week, and he asked me what I enjoyed about my job, and I said 'nothing', flippantly, at first, and then thought about it, and decided to keep my answer. I told my boss in order to endure a 9 hour shift at work, I walk in the doors, and shut myself off inside. I told him about how I'm anti-consumerist, and that I am judging the customers SO HARD when they buy something because it's cute, or because they already own it, but this one is a different colour, or slightly better in some way. How I judge them and hate them, when they whip out a credit card to pay for something, because they are just contributing to national debt, and the system as a whole. And then I told him because I shut myself off inside, I don't let any of the customers know this, and I just ask them polite questions, and let them carry on with their day.

He said he didn't want me to leave, and I told him it didn't matter, because I was just one faceless voice among many, and whoever took over my position would do the exact same job to more or less the exact same level of effort, because it's retail, and much like the army, all you need is a body, not a personality.

He was pretty unhappy with me by the end, and really all we resolved was 'people have been letting me know you've been caught talking to people instead of working, so stop it'.....as I went back upstairs to watch two of my coworkers stand in a corner and talk.

*sigh*

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                I got called into my boss' office the other day. He sat me down. He asked me what's been wrong lately, since he's been receiving complaints about me, and he doesn't normally. Apparently, I lack focus at my retail job, and need to do a better job of staying on task. I need to stop chatting with people, or texting on my phone, or eating outside of my one break per day.

Everyone else does it, too. But I was the only one that got called into his office to chat. My response was to inform him that everyone else does it too, and that no, I wouldn't give examples, because my coworkers are my friends, and he can't ask me to do that for him. And that I'm tired of working there, and I've been keeping an eye out for something better. And then I related a story to him about how I was hiking with a friend last week, and he asked me what I enjoyed about my job, and I said 'nothing', flippantly, at first, and then thought about it, and decided to keep my answer. I told my boss in order to endure a 9 hour shift at work, I walk in the doors, and shut myself off inside. I told him about how I'm anti-consumerist, and that I am judging the customers SO HARD when they buy something because it's cute, or because they already own it, but this one is a different colour, or slightly better in some way. How I judge them and hate them, when they whip out a credit card to pay for something, because they are just contributing to national debt, and the system as a whole. And then I told him because I shut myself off inside, I don't let any of the customers know this, and I just ask them polite questions, and let them carry on with their day.

He said he didn't want me to leave, and I told him it didn't matter, because I was just one faceless voice among many, and whoever took over my position would do the exact same job to more or less the exact same level of effort, because it's retail, and much like the army, all you need is a body, not a personality.

He was pretty unhappy with me by the end, and really all we resolved was 'people have been letting me know you've been caught talking to people instead of working, so stop it'.....as I went back upstairs to watch two of my coworkers stand in a corner and talk.

*sigh*
                Retail is the worst. I'm sorry about that.

Comment

*sigh*
                  Good luck finding something new!
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My head hurts. I haven't eaten since breakfast, and the smell of dinner cooking is making me woozy.

Mostly art.

Comment

*sigh*
                      I'm really sorry to hear this, volcaniclastic. I can relate on so many levels working in retail. It makes zombies out of people.

Comment

So incredibly sick of people on the Paranormal Investigators site I belong to posting photos of "breaking news!!" and "amazing-caught-on-video!!" "evidence" of ghosts, giant monsters, winged spiders, etc.... and ALL are blatantly Photo-Shopped, fake and utterly ridiculous hoaxes. I can't believe how many people on this site actually believe that the "footage" or "photos" are real.

I get that not everyone has an eye for picking out bad Photo-Shopped images, but seriously people? Do you really think that if someone legitimately captured footage of an enormous, spider-like "monster" crawling over a building there would be a) no mention of it within any legitimate news source or b) no other photos or eye-witness statements?

Really considering giving up on these kinds of groups. *sigh*

Comment

Got a work-related email from someone today who addressed me as 'Dear Sir'. Really? It's too much effort to write 'Sir or Madam'? Or better yet, address me by my name which is clearly plastered all over our website and leaflets?

I was so very tempted to email him back as 'Dear Madam', but managed to contain myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                            Got a work-related email from someone today who addressed me as 'Dear Sir'. Really? It's too much effort to write 'Sir or Madam'? Or better yet, address me by my name which is clearly plastered all over our website and leaflets?

I was so very tempted to email him back as 'Dear Madam', but managed to contain myself.
                            That's so frustrating. My last name is also a first name and so many people call me by it as of it's my first name... Or they misspell my first name (It's Anna but they very commonly leave out one of the n's because I pronounce it like Ana... Because I grew up in Germany and that's how it's pronounced there...plus I hate the typical american pronunciation of Anna) Except... My name is clearly spelled out in my email. First.last@company ...

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                              That's so frustrating. My last name is also a first name and so many people call me by it as of it's my first name... Or they misspell my first name (It's Anna but they very commonly leave out one of the n's because I pronounce it like Ana... Because I grew up in Germany and that's how it's pronounced there...plus I hate the typical american pronunciation of Anna) Except... My name is clearly spelled out in my email. First.last@company ...

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
                              My work email is the same first.last@company...but our email flips the last name first in the display. Though my last name ISN'T a first name, I get called that all the time and it is super bizarre.

And my last name is Steele.

And they pronounce it wrong.

Comment

What's with these people who wildly overestimate themselves when it comes to their writing?

"I don't revise or edit well enough to catch major errors and typos in my first few paragraphs. Want to buy my self-published book containing more of this for fifteen bucks?"

Uh, no. I'll buy you a copy of The Chicago Manual of Style or something, though.

I feel like 99% of these amateur or hobby writers do not give two shits about anything other than maximizing attention and gloating rights while minimizing work. I always look back over my pieces for points to improve on and would shoot myself if I ever put out something riddled with typos, even if only two people saw it. Revising and editing really does not take that much time, and it makes you look like a respectable writer with stories worth polishing to their maximum potential.

I think I'm hot stuff just like everyone else, but at least I sit down and read up on the topic with a mind to improve once in awhile because I know I'm no Stephen King. I try to have a work ethic and respect this as more than just a means to attention and money, even if I do wind up making money and receiving a lot of attention in the future. It's a skill that needs to be continuously and actively honed, and not through constantly writing things and then tossing them aside to luridly moon everyone with their errors.

For $15.

Comment

Working...
                                X