Your Favourite Thor stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Favourite Thor stories

I've foolishly agreed to tell stories about Thor for three quarters of an hour at a Pagan storytelling event this July. This is foolish because I've done storytelling twice, and never for so long, and I'd kiiiinda forgotten I'd agreed to do this so practising needs to start soon. I know which MY fave stories are but which do you guys like most? Which do you think make the most rip-roaring tales? Are there any more obscure stories I might not have read?

I'll almost certainly go with Thor's trip out to Utgard-Loki's hall because it's probably my favourite but I'll need at least 3, maybe 4 stories. What would you pick?
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Re: Your Favourite Thor stories

That's a favorite here, too!

I have two others coming to mind: Thor getting dressed up as Freya, and Thor and Hymir fishing up the Jormungandr.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thor dressed as Freya almost certainly has to be in there - that's a classic. I'm always a bit wary of presenting him as bumbling-big-dumb-comedy-figure though. I know to a certain extent his stories often start that way, like with Utgard-Loki we're laughing at Thor and the rest of the party being so rubbish, and frustrated and confused by being rubbish, but then the punchline is that that hasn't been what's happening at all. So with the Thor-dressed-as-Freya story, to me the laugh is firmly on the giants for being so dumb they can't see it's Thor, rather than the laugh being a big beardy bloke in a dress. Does that make sense? Potentially it's easy to let the comedy overrun the awesomness of Thor, rather than compliment it.

Comment

Makes total sense! I find a lot of humor in the fast-talking lengths Loki is being forced to go to in order to explain the " blushing bride", as well. It always seemed to me as though not only was he in the hot seat(good for him for a change) but part of what made the giants buy it was a completely different aesthetic when it comes to women.

After all, what else is Loki doing but convincingly selling Freya as a lusty heaving ettin maid? Everything he says just fuels the giant even more.
        Last edited by Dez; 18 Jun 2012, 22:59.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Oh I'll have to use that angle. I don't think I've heard a version where the giant is all 'really? wow that's horny, fwoaaar' when Loki explains Thor's red eyes are because he couldn't sleep he was so eager for the marital bed.

Comment

If you want to talk about the strength of Thor, why not recount his prophecied fight against the Midgard Serpent? Or perhaps his bounding of Loki in Lokasenna? Thor is certainly the hero in that story, as he is the only one to take action against Loki's insults. And also, why not mention Thor's constant travels to fight the Giants?

I suggest you tell first the comical view of Thor, to get the audience interested. But then move on to the stories of his strength, so they are awed. For Thor is the warrior of the Aesir, and its greatest defence. So tell the funny stories, but tell also of his aweing exploits :P
            "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
            Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
            Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

At the moment I'm thinking the regaining of the hammer (cross-dressing story), followed by the trip to Utgard-Loki which will follow nicely onto the Midgard Serpent story. This should allow for some comedy but not so much that Thor becomes too much like Brian Blessed with his beard dyed red. I'm thinking that with making an offering before I start, this lot should run to about 45mins, near enough for my purposes anyway.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions but really I think those are more Loki stories, rather than Thor stories, because Loki's the main player.

Comment

Working...
                  X