This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddhism

Just wondering at the fact that we have no Buddhism thread... I know a little. Took a class on it my freshman year. I plan to take a more detailed class in the spring. If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer, though for the deeper stuff, I'll probly be asking my own questions.

My first question: Does anyone out there consider themselves Buddhist? If so is Buddhism your only path or have you twined it with another?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Buddhism

I use meditation techniques I've learned from Buddhists, and I have enormous respect for what they've learned and been willing to teach about the way the mind works, however, I'm not a Buddhist because I don't accept their underlying world.

- In other words, I've mooched their technology, but not their philosophy.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There are several people around me who said they believe in buddhism. but when I ask them about what they believe, the only thing I got was that buddha helped them to have good luck. I would doubt if that is really "believing in"... Anyway, I don't believe in Buddhism. Just to give my opinion.

Comment

I don't know a whole lot about Buddhism, but I'd be willing to learn. To be honest, I'm rather enamored with the idea of going to Tibet and learning to meditate with monks (but I doubt that'll happen).

Mostly art.

Comment

Fidd (my husband) is fascinated with Buddhism, particularly the interplay with Shinto in Japan. He was an Asian Studies Major for three years, so he could probably answer questions, too, if people were interested in a thread, but he himself is not Buddhist.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Alot of Satanists are Buddhist.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=528.msg8141#msg8141 date=1288382644]
              Alot of Satanists are Buddhist.
              [/quote]

Der, can u esplain that?
              The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, when it comes to Satanism, it might have to do with owning up to your actions and getting what coming to you for those actions. Which is a big part of Buddhism. Karma. If you do good deeds, you move to a higher level, if you do bad deeds, to a lower one, and if you're average you stay where you are. That's really quite a simple way of putting it but...

I can see the two coinciding.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I can see similarities, but I don't see how a person can claim to be both.
                  The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Well I've just known a few Satanists who really just sorta jive with Buddhism. Hmm. Here is the thing. Ok many Satanists are also Atheists in belief. And with those type of Satanists, well the tend to fall into certain categories. Some find that they believe in the teachings of Lavey (as I do). Some find they are still holding on to Pagan tendencies. And some take with them Buddhist ideals. Now not all the ideals. But they do find a way to incorporate Buddhist beliefs in helping them live their life. It's late in the wee night/morning. So excuse the lazy answer: Google Satanism/Buddhism and you will see many posts on forums about how Satanists combine the two.

*it's possible since I am a Satanist, but also agree with many of the Islamic beliefs as well.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I was interested in it for years, and did some practices, but I never got heavily involved.

My former roommate is ordained as a nun, I think mostly Tibetan practices. I learn a lot about it through her.

I can see why I never got too involved with it. You have to give up a lot, and to be honest it's not even that I'm just materialistic but I don't see the value in shunning this world and everything in it (possessions, comfort, pleasure, aesthetics). I do respect her dedication though. Sometimes I think she gets a bit judgmental on others though. Like recently she was talking about asking her teacher about eating because in her practice they're not supposed to eat after noon, but everyone in her center does. I don't think everyone in her center is ordained...I think most are just there to study a little and learn some things, or to work on the free tibet cause. I was telling her that, from a health perspective, most people shut down if they're working on something and don't get to eat sometime in the afternoon. You can't concentrate, and you get tired. For those that are working on running the center, this might be difficult for them to do their work. She told me that it's not all about business, and that's not what I meant. I meant that some people there aren't there to take such heavy vows, and maybe for them it's not so important to follow practices like that, and for those that are more involved in the admin (which is what she's doing) it's non profit but they still have to do work!
                      Her heart is always in the right place though. We just sometimes have very different views on things because of our very different spiritualities.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=528.msg15137#msg15137 date=1290246260]
                        I can see why I never got too involved with it. You have to give up a lot, and to be honest it's not even that I'm just materialistic but I don't see the value in shunning this world and everything in it (possessions, comfort, pleasure, aesthetics).
                        [/quote]

This has generally been my issue with Buddhism, though I do find aspects of Buddhist practices--mindfulness, mettā bhāvanā, etc to be useful.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=528.msg15300#msg15300 date=1290276421]
                          This has generally been my issue with Buddhism, though I do find aspects of Buddhist practices--mindfulness, mettā bhāvanā, etc to be useful.
                          [/quote]

Totally. I think it has a lot to offer, I just can't really do -all- of it. I really do admire people that can though...it takes a lot of dedication to detach yourself from all that stuff in this world I think. My ex-roomie is super hardcore and I don't know how she does it (and I imagine it takes a lot of dedication and isn't easy) but I admire this. I just don't find it fits into my worldview enough to do it personally.
                          But ya, I really do take some aspects of it (mostly just mindfulness).

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=528.msg8110#msg8110 date=1288375557]
                            I don't know a whole lot about Buddhism, but I'd be willing to learn. To be honest, I'm rather enamored with the idea of going to Tibet and learning to meditate with monks (but I doubt that'll happen).
                            [/quote]

You don't have to go to Tibet for that, my dear fellow BCer.....you can come to Birken (just outside of Kamloops). My friends used to own the Roche Lake Resort which was not far from the Birken Monestary....They always welcome guests, but there is protocol....check out their website here: http://birken.ca/

They have a daily tea where you can simply come talk with the monks, ask questions etc....and you can then stay for the 7pm meditation if you like.

I always see the monks in town shopping or using the payphone at Chapters Bookstore....lol.
                            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

FTR, here are their visiting guidelines:

We are pleased to provide a quiet and harmonious monastic environment that keeps distractions to a minimum for the purpose of training the mind. All guests are encouraged to join us in the daily meditation schedule.
                              Day-visitors are expected to undertake the basic training rules embodied in the first five of the Eight Precepts.
                              Guests staying at the monastery are required to follow all of the Eight Precepts. These are to refrain from:[list type=decimal]
                              [li]killing or harming any living beings;[/li]
                              [li]taking what is not given;[/li]
                              [li]sexual activity;[/li]
                              [li]false, harsh, malicious or frivolous speech;[/li]
                              [li]consuming intoxicating liquor or drugs;[/li]
                              [li]eating after noon;[/li]
                              [li]singing, dancing, listening to music, indulging in entertainment, and using perfumes, jewelry and cosmetics;[/li]
                              [li]using luxurious seats and beds.[/li][/list]
                              Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X