No candles allowed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No candles allowed...

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic. But i was hoping someone might have some kind of suggestion. I live in a college dorm and my school doesn't allow us to have candles or incense or anything one would burn. Luckily around (at least a few) sabbats I go back to my legal residence where I can burn all the candles I please, but while I've been attending this school I've had to recognize sabbats and perform spells in candle-less manners. I'm only home for Yule and Lughnasadh. Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives for candles in terms of spellcasting and rituals and so on for while I'm here? I've been doing a lot with water, crystals and my Irish whistle to try to make up for it.

selume proferre

Re: No candles allowed...

LED candles.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
      LED candles.
      I have considered that. I kind of dismissed it because it doesn't actually have smoke or flame or anything which seems like the important part to me. But i guess those could make at least a passable substitute. Thanks.

selume proferre

Comment

Not knowing what your part of the country is like, I know out here we've got a couple of occult shops that keep altar rooms where customers can actually perform spellwork or leave vigil candles burning. Might be worth looking into.

I know it's comfortable to have some type of symbolic object around while doing spellwork, but any spell that can be performed with tools can be performed without. You just have to throw some extra creativity into it. Maybe try poppets or knotwork?
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          Not knowing what your part of the country is like, I know out here we've got a couple of occult shops that keep altar rooms where customers can actually perform spellwork or leave vigil candles burning. Might be worth looking into.

I know it's comfortable to have some type of symbolic object around while doing spellwork, but any spell that can be performed with tools can be performed without. You just have to throw some extra creativity into it. Maybe try poppets or knotwork?
          Ahh, that's really cool! I don't think the shop here has that. Unless it's through the hallway I tend to just assume is off limits, haha. I'll have to ask the owner.
          Yeah, like I said, I've been doing things with crystals, water and music, and it's been working. But I've just always felt that candles added something important to it. If that makes sense.

selume proferre

Comment

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
            Ahh, that's really cool! I don't think the shop here has that. Unless it's through the hallway I tend to just assume is off limits, haha. I'll have to ask the owner.
            Yeah, like I said, I've been doing things with crystals, water and music, and it's been working. But I've just always felt that candles added something important to it. If that makes sense.
            Another substitute for incense is to use the oil reed scents. The scent starts off subtle and there is no fire hazard (though a spill hazard if it's not on a level shelf).

Sorry, I read 'substitutes' and thought of incense substitutes as well, since it sounds like you won't be able to burn them either. On the topic of candle substitutes, you can try using a scent that seems 'fiery' or spicy for you to represent that heat of a candle.
            Last edited by turningtides; 30 Jun 2012, 22:23.

Comment

Our dorm let us use candle warmers inside the room. Some campuses will have outside areas where you can go if you're comfortable with such a thing.
              It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
              -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by turningtides View Post
                Another substitute for incense is to use the oil reed scents. The scent starts off subtle and there is no fire hazard (though a spill hazard if it's not on a level shelf).

Sorry, I read 'substitutes' and thought of incense substitutes as well, since it sounds like you won't be able to burn them either. On the topic of candle substitutes, you can try using a scent that seems 'fiery' or spicy for you to represent that heat of a candle.
                I love reed diffusers but its definitely more the actual effect of fire i'm specifically looking for. Though scents alone wouldn't be a bad idea barring that!

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                Our dorm let us use candle warmers inside the room. Some campuses will have outside areas where you can go if you're comfortable with such a thing.
                Ahhh we can't have any flames at all. >.> it's a little silly. And people are allowed to smoke 20 ft or so away from buildings so maybe the same holds true for candles... it's just harder to get privacy outside on a big campus. No one just walks by when i'm locked in my room. ;P i finally have a single this coming year at least.

selume proferre

Comment

When I was in college, I used glow sticks...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X