Personal issues with Wicca.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Personal issues with Wicca.

Since posting this topic I've been very drawn to the brit trad/Gardnerian approach. I don't expect a religion to suit my every need and belief by any means- as stated a few times in this thread I just want to cut out the nonsense. :P the white light-y and fake history stuff mostly. Which is why I'm going or trying to go a traditional route. if the coven's heads can cite who initiated them it's a good sign that they have a grasp of the more factual history of their organization. but you make valid points.

selume proferre

Comment

After reading your first post it reminded me of how I practiced Wicca for almost four years but recently realized that it just wasn't right for me and I was more Eclectic then anything else because actual Wicca from what Gerald had started many years ago is more in depth than what we think of it now.
      I got into an arugement with someone over it and decided to just stop using the term 'Wiccan' all together. Even thought I shouldn't let just one person opinion on it change my views, it just made more sense to change it because they were taking Wicca totally serious in every way Gerald had written in his book; that made me think 'Maybe other will take it that way too' and decided to just use a diffriernt term. So now I have to do research on Eclectic Neo-Pagan.
      Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
      http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Didn't you just post about being Wiccan in that rant thread? Is this change very recent? Just curious.

selume proferre

Comment

A large part of it for me was lack of historicity. For me, this defeated a lot of the purpose, since it was really my research on the history of religion that turned me toward paganism. I put a lot of stock in the polytheistic and animistic traditions that were once practiced by all cultures world-wide. I regard most newer ideas as independent human innovations, innovations which have resulted in the many contradictory world religions present today.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
            A large part of it for me was lack of historicity. For me, this defeated a lot of the purpose, since it was really my research on the history of religion that turned me toward paganism. I put a lot of stock in the polytheistic and animistic traditions that were once practiced by all cultures world-wide. I regard most newer ideas as independent human innovations, innovations which have resulted in the many contradictory world religions present today.
            Do you believe that this ancient polytheistic animism was not an innovation? Do you believe it to be the "original" religion of humanity, and thus the later ones such as Buddhism and Christianity are inventions? Just curious about what you mean here.

Comment

Originally posted by Witcher View Post
              Do you believe that this ancient polytheistic animism was not an innovation? Do you believe it to be the "original" religion of humanity, and thus the later ones such as Buddhism and Christianity are inventions? Just curious about what you mean here.
              I do believe polytheism and animism were the "original" religion of humanity, yes. While these traditions took many forms, there wasn't real conflict between them. Deities and myths were exchanged and/or syncretized frequently between cultures. Certainly, they were more similar to one another than the diverse faiths that exist today.

I don't consider the modern world religions to be inventions altogether, just certain doctrines and ideas. I don't think the Abrahamic deity was invented by humans, but I think exclusive monotheism was. I think Buddhism is philosophically enlightening, but I think disagree with their portrayal of the Devas.
              Last edited by Yazichestvo; 18 Jul 2012, 23:14.
              If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Ok I see what you mean now.

Comment

I just posted this basic idea in a different thread, but here it is again:

I started off Wiccan, as many did, simply because it's so well known. But I drifted away because I think it is rather dogmatic. The entire reason I was initially drawn to paganism was because of the idea that you didn't have to force yourself to believe a hard and fast set of rules that just aren't working for you. I spent many years attempting to find God (in the Christian sense) and it just wasn't working for me. It felt silly to prescribe to specific rules and rituals that I wasn't feeling. However, it is still easier to transition to a new religion when you can learn the "rules" about what you are supposed to believe and do, so I think this leads to many "new pagan" converts of the Wiccan path initially. But then I realized how dogmatic many Wiccans were and I just thought it was silly of me to label myself as a religion that believed in a lot of set-in-stone rules when that's exactly what I was trying to get away from in the first place.

I was actually reading an article on Witchvox yesterday about how so many pagans are turning into solitaries because of some of the nasty people who join the path. It really spoke to exactly what I've been thinking about and trying to work around in terms of getting to know more pagans IRL. I know they must be out there, but I honestly have never met a self-proclaimed "Wiccan" who wasn't calling themselves that in an immature, "look at me and how different I am," just trying to use it as an excuse to act nasty sort of way... It's really disheartening. I just can't find any "Wiccans" that I get along with. And most of the pagans I meet IRL are "Wiccans."

Personally, I think that Wicca is a good starting point for people wanting to get on a pagan path, but most people eventually "grow out" of it when they realize that they need more room to grow spiritually without being bogged down by the dogma or the hostile, immature people who aren't really following it because they're religious. There's nothing wrong with those who really do find their place in it and aren't sores on the Wiccan community, but there's also nothing wrong with admitting that that specific path just isn't for you anymore. In fact, I think it is healthy to break away from something that no longer suits you instead of stifling your spiritual growth for the sake of fitting in.

Comment

I said earlier in the thread that i'm looking at brit trad and am happy with my choice. I'm still wiccan and i don't think it's stunting anything i'm not forcing myself to believe anything and my goal was never to fit in at the expense of my spirituality.
                    Last edited by orchestrion; 29 Jul 2012, 12:51.

selume proferre

Comment

My dear lord I totally understand. I have been very hard pressed to find any pagans that aren't Wiccan and I feel so isolated in my path. I also don't share a lot of the typical stereo types of the pagan community.

Comment

One thing that has always happened with a religious path,when it grows it also seems to end up being run by people that don't actually believe anything. The position of control at the top is their goal generally. I have seen this with major religions,the powers that be don't seem anything like the day to day follower. As it has been said "Power corrupts,and absolute power corrupts absolutely"

This is why I tend to be a lone practitioner,and have no desire to "Join" a larger group.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                        X