Starting a new book (advice needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a new book (advice needed)

I haven't really DONE much the past few months, and I really need to get back in the game. Now, I have a few ideas for a book but I don't really know which I should go with.

I started with a basic idea for a character, and built a few stories around that. First the name, Blackwood. It's punchy.

(Chatacter bio here, skip if not interested!)

The basic idea is that he's older, maybe early thirties later twenties, and he's a widower. However, his wife is also a reccurring character, she pops up every so often and says things. Maybe she's a ghost, maybe a hallucination... She isn't, but nothing is really explained right away.

He's also a darker character, and doesn't have a high opinion of himself. The story will probably go into themes of heroism and morality... Pretty standard fare really, but whatever.

(Done)

Now, my problem is basically that I have several different ideas of what I should do with this guy and no idea how to choose.

The first one I came up with is basically an urban fantasy magician detective, again standard fare but it's a tried and true marketable premise. With this one I could decided he should either be an enchanter or a warlock. The first is basically that he uses things like transfiguration, illusion, and subtle magics.

Warlocks make deals with demons, use hellfire and shadow magic, of course. The problem with this one is that it might make it harder to paint Blackwood as a sympathetic character. It would be more interesting to write though, and one of my problems with writing is losing interest.

The other idea I had was Blackwood as a ranger in a standard fantasy setting, I like the idea of Blackwood as more of a soldier type and ranger seems to fit his personality the best. I have more experience with classic fantasy than urban fantasy, but not so much that I would consider myself experienced as such.

Now I have already gone through EXTENSIVE world building, and I've cooked up some interesting characters and stories... I just need to decide which book I want to write, and that's hard for me.

These all seem like they'd be fun stories to write, but I really need to pick one and go with it to the end. Any ideas? Thoughts on the stories I mentioned?
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Re: Starting a new book (advice needed)

Get started. Keep Going. Believe me, it works. And good luck.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
    X