Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to actually... find... covens.

Hey folks.
    I know a few of you saw my thread about looking for a return to more traditional Wicca yesterday. I've been poking around the internet to find some covens/folks to ask questions of and would like to at some point perhaps find a traditional coven to become a dedicant to, if the search yields promising results.
    I keep finding covens that look really great but that provide outdated contact info. I found a wonderful one nearby that hasn't updated anything since 2010 and every email address they provide for contact info is invalid.
    I've been using witchvox and ye olde Google. I also sent a Pagan friend of mine a Facebook message asking if she knew of anything a while ago and she hasn't answered yet. So I don't have much to work with.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to connect to covens in the area? I'm considering asking the woman who owns the nearby metaphysical shop if she knows anyone who's looking to take some new members, but I don't know if she's Wiccan or particularly involved in Wicca, so it's sort of a shot in the dark.
    Last edited by orchestrion; 06 Jul 2012, 11:18.

selume proferre

Re: Ways to actually... find... covens.

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
    Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to connect to covens in the area? I'm considering asking the woman who owns the nearby metaphysical shop if she knows anyone who's looking to take some new members, but I don't know if she's Wiccan or particularly involved in Wicca, so it's sort of a shot in the dark.
    IMO thats a great idea orchestrion. Those shops are hubs of the neopagan community and theyre usually owned by people that have been involved in neopaganism a long time. What might happen is theyll recommend a meet up to you or point you to someone else. It can be like a trail of bread crumbs. Trad covens dont recruit though they have to wait for you to express an interest so they wont be able to tell you if any covens are lookin for new members.

If you go to a moot therell usually be someone from the coven at that who could sponsor you if you get on personality wise and eventually theyll set up an interview with the HP/S of the coven wholl decide if youre ok. Or if theres no moot you might have to go looking for that HP/S yourself. One of the High Priests here who was initiated by the Farrars into Alexandrian trad had to only a rhumour about them living in an area and he went around asking in shops if anyone know where the witches lived. haha.

Theres a sort of cultic position there around 'seekers'. Finding a seeker makes the people here fairly excited so its not that their snobs its more that its what has to happen in an initiatory tradition. Like the zen thing "When the student is ready the teacher will appear" you might have to prove youre ready by doing the leg work to find them.

Comment

Re: Ways to actually... find... covens.

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
      IMO thats a great idea orchestrion. Those shops are hubs of the neopagan community and theyre usually owned by people that have been involved in neopaganism a long time. What might happen is theyll recommend a meet up to you or point you to someone else. It can be like a trail of bread crumbs. Trad covens dont recruit though they have to wait for you to express an interest so they wont be able to tell you if any covens are lookin for new members.

If you go to a moot therell usually be someone from the coven at that who could sponsor you if you get on personality wise and eventually theyll set up an interview with the HP/S of the coven wholl decide if youre ok. Or if theres no moot you might have to go looking for that HP/S yourself. One of the High Priests here who was initiated by the Farrars into Alexandrian trad had to only a rhumour about them living in an area and he went around asking in shops if anyone know where the witches lived. haha.

Theres a sort of cultic position there around 'seekers'. Finding a seeker makes the people here fairly excited so its not that their snobs its more that its what has to happen in an initiatory tradition. Like the zen thing "When the student is ready the teacher will appear" you might have to prove youre ready by doing the leg work to find them.
      Well, when I say "looking for" I mean more that they're open to new members. A few of them have phrased it that way that I've seen. I'm not just waiting for someone to pop up and recruit me into a coven, haha. Finding one that is open to dedicants is the aim I guess is what I mean.

We don't have stuff like moots and open circles here. :\ the closest ones are like five hours away by car and I don't drive.

And being pointed to someone else doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just need a place to start looking because this area seems really devoid of an active Pagan community.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh yes calling the shop was an excellent idea, the owner was incredibly helpful!

selume proferre

Comment

Working...
      X