Changed beliefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed beliefs

hey guys okay sooo I kind of had a real quick change in beliefs. I dont consider my self wiccan but just an eclectic pagan (so I think). I believe in one great spirit that is this huge all knowing loving being, and I dont choose to worship deities because I dont feel confortable or cannot comprehend it. However I believe that the great spirit connects all the elements together (thus making the pentacle) and that each element has spirits such as fairies, gnomes, salamanders, undines. etc. I believe plants, rocks, trees, mountains all possess a spirit. And I believe theres spirits all around us. I believe the spirit world is split into 3 levels, higher, middle and lower realms. I believe in just one huge spirit and then that everything that happens in this universe and in ones life, is by the will of the spirits around us, the great spirit, and the person them self. I believe everything is connected and the nature spirits, animals, plants, rocks, humans, all came from and are apart of this spirit, but are NOT it. (if that makes sense)Thats like if you take a cup from the ocean , the water in the cup is part of the ocean, but it isnt it. I decided this because Ive had more experiences with spirits than I have with deities and I dont know why but I see deities as more man made and a way of our ancestors connected with the one. I believe in spirits and everything has a spirit, and comes from THE spirit because I believe our ancestors saw them and connected with them through dreams, journeys with herbs (such as peyote or shrooms) , and just walking the trails. But now we dont see them because we arent as opend minded as our ancestors were. I still want to celebrate the esbats and sabats but instead of following the stories the gods, I will use it as a time to celebrate the solar and lunar cycles, the seasonal changes, and thanking the great spirit/spirits around us, and also instead of the sun and moon representing the god/goddess, I just worship the sun and moon spirit and thank the creator for making and helping me throughout that season and time period. Now my question is, if somone asks me what religion to you follow, should I still say, I am pagan, or is there another word for this (or ecelectic pagan) I dont like labels but I just need to have one word that sums it all up if somone asks, which I get alot. thanks and blessed be

Re: Changed beliefs

Hey there :] there are plenty of non wiccans who celebrate the solar and lunar cycles! I was just watching a trading spouses episode last night (i know, i know...) and one of the families on it was of no specified religious denomination but spiritual and new age and saw the solstices as a time to reconnect with the earth. The father said there was in his words "no religious dogma" attached. and there are plenty of other very eclectic folk afoot and i think eclectic pagan is a fine label. I think your way of looking at things is very interesting.
    Last edited by orchestrion; 07 Jul 2012, 10:03.

selume proferre

Comment

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
      Hey there :] there are plenty of non wiccans who celebrate the solar and lunar cycles! I was just watching a trading spouses episode last night (i know, i know...) and one of the families on it was of no specified religious denomination but spiritual and new age and saw the solstices as a time to reconnect with the earth. The father said there was in his words "no religious dogma" attached. and there are plenty of other very eclectic folk afoot. I think your way of looking at things is very interesting.
      yay!!! thank you for your response, ya I even heard some athesits celebrating the winter solstice at one point (it was on the news :P) I think if somone asks I could just say I am pagan, and then if they ask what is that I could say, is an unbrella term of anything that is not of the abrahamic religons

Comment

Hello wind!

I actually have something of the same problem. I believe in one great God that no one can truly understand. I was raised christian but, like many others, found that I was not truth one of them. My problem is that I fell very comfortable with Pagans but I just cant seem to be one of them either.
        We seem to have a lot in common I say Everything on earth has a spirit that you can feel or talk to-I know, this sounds fuzzy. It's not in a hippy-lovy-drug way, Its in a normal way-
        Also, I think that men make god. We make him, and give him personality, so that we can better understand a little piece of the divine.
        And I also choose to celebrate the lunar cycles and anything else that I think valid-like a holiday for death. Loss is important to recognize. And one for family. Family is important to recognize too-

So I think it funny that we describe our religions so differently. You see yourself as Pagan, eclectic pagan as your religion lists, and I see myself as a Deist, with strange tendencies.

I think that you answered your own question. What name should you call yourself? If someone should ask, that is. Call yourself what you feel. You are most squarely a pagan. Have you considered looking into native american religions? It sound like something you might want to check out.

Comment

Formatting is your friend, wind!

Do your beliefs come from religions outsiide of Wicca? If not then you're not really "eclectic," you are just an unorthodox Wiccan. Possibly a non-theistic Wiccan, or a deistic Wiccan, or what have you.

Also, peyote and shrooms are not herbs. Rosemary and bay leaves aren't either, and I like bringing that up as often as I can manage. Ah, botany... It brings out my inner pedant like nothing else.

Also, pretty much every berry you think of when you think "berry" aren't actually berries. "Drupe" and "pome" haven't really caught on when it comes to informal speech.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

The term "Pagan" is just am umbrella term. Wicca falls under that term. Much like Catholic falls under the Christian umbrella term. Until you are comfortable with a specific word for your beliefs - Like Wicca used to be - I think using the term Pagan is acceptable. Up to you, though.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Thanks guys for your suggestion

I think I am going to just call my self a pagan. I dont believe in everything wicca has to offer. The only thing I take is the ritual structure. I dont believe in the three fold law. I think I should look into native american spirituality as well, thanks guys and blessings

Comment

Sounds like you are a Pantheist I also don't believe in the "multiple god/desses" idea...I'm just not comfortable with that and find it hard to convince myself to see the world in that way. It makes more sense to me that there is just one "source" of everything and I also believe in the spirit realm.

Native American Spirituality might be a good start for you. Good luck!
                ‎"Your imagination creates the inner picture that allows you to participate in the act of creation. It's the invisible connecting link to manifesting your own destiny." - Wayne Dyer

Comment

Working...
                X