Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some Reading Material for a Noob

Hi I am Alicia,
    I am trying to start my way on my own path but I am having trouble doing so. So much information scattered all over the place, it's hard to know what is correct information and what is incorrect information. So I am curious is there a book maybe like an encyclopedia of all the different types of pagan beliefs. There are so many and having to google search everything is getting tiring..... Can anybody give me some recommendations please and thank you!

Re: Looking for some Reading Material for a Noob

I don't know if an encyclopedia would be all too helpful, in my honest opinion. I would start with about three paths and read a few well recommended books about each and then move on to another three. If you do it that way I think you might get a deeper understanding about the various paths in contemporary Paganism. A few articles in a volume might not give a full enough picture. Also, if you do it in pieces it would be easier to slow down and really investigate each path on your own pace, so that it doesn't become overwhelming.

Comment

You could also check out the myths of various paths and cultures to see what jives with you- ie, if you fall in love with and put stock in Norse myth, you might consider checking out Heathen info.

selume proferre

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think any book like that has been written. Since there are so many paths, as you've noticed, not to mention eclectics doing their own thing, and the new paths that still seem to be springing up... it's hard to get a truly complete list.

Wiki does have a list which you may find helpful, if you haven't already seen it. While not complete, it does provide a good number of different traditions. Now some of the links do just go to short paragraphs, but it should be enough to either interest you enough to research more, or not look more into it. Of course, any sort of encyclopedia book probably could not go into much more depth for every tradition.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I like Scott Cunningham's work. I think Silver Ravenwolf has a few good books for beginners.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixMask View Post
            I like Scott Cunningham's work. I think Silver Ravenwolf has a few good books for beginners.
            Neither author has written a book like the OP is searching for, though... both authors focus on solitary Wicca. (Or just 'positive thinking' witchcraft for some of RavenWolf's books.) I would also, in general, suggest avoiding RavenWolf as a beginner, as her books are loaded with misinformation and incorrect facts. Cunningham would be fine for a very basic overview of solitary Wicca, but won't give much (if any) information on any other pagan path.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Pagan Paths by Pete Jennings is a little like what you are looking for. It has a very brief introduction to a few different paths and is good for an overview.

The link is for amazon in the UK as I do not know where you are from. You can buy it from amazon.com as well though.
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
              X