Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is magick

Mar 2012
    Religion
    naturalist

what is magick

my thread will begin with the question: what is magick? this is the main question which i will try to answer in this thread. i will quote from agrippa and paracelsus to understand what is magick?

according to agrippa, magick is the faculty of wonderful virtue of natural things. for example the attaction power of loadstone is magick, the faculty to some herbs to cause love of other person is magick etc..the job of the magician(also known as wizard and sorcererors) is the job of producing wonderful effect by mixing natural things.

now we will see some real life example to find out if the definition of agrippa is right or not. we will see what the wizards or sorcerors did in olden times as written by many authors. according to odisi, circe, the witch, turned the men of odesious into beasts with the help of a magic potion. but hermes gave a particular herb to odesious that destroy the effect of the magic potion. here the potion is nothing but the mixture of natural thing.

in the drama macbeth, shakespere wrote about 3 witches that mixed many herbs and animal parts in the cauldron and predicted that macbeth will become the king of denmark. again mixture of natural thing to produce wonderful effects.

in one of the wall painting of villa of pompei, we could see that a woman, lets a man to inhale a particular kind of smoke coming from the alter which allow the man to see the future. now the smoke must be of some herbs.the wonderful faculty of the herb is to make the inhaler see the future.

so we can conclude that what agrippa said is right because many sorceror or wizards and witches produced wonderful effects by mixing natural things. the magick is the wonderful faculty of these natural things.

from this definition we can deduce the usage of some of the witch's aparatus;

1] cauldron: to mix natural thing to produce things(potion etc.) that have a magickal effect.

2] dagger: to cut the roots and animal parts.

3] cat: to receive signs of future events or presence of spirits.

in the next post i will discuss how the magician collects wonderful virtues from the world.

Mar 2012
    Religion
    naturalist

Re: what is magick

after 26 views and 0 reply i think that either people in this forum did not like magick , nor they understood my writings nor they like logical thinking.its quite simple but i finally understood.

fine

thank you.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

...how exactly did you want people to respond to this? It seems like an essay. You didn't even really leave it open for discussion.

selume proferre

Jul 2012
    Religion
    Panentheistic Druid

I don't really understand what you're trying to say, because your writing is not that clear. But I can tell you that your information about Macbeth is wrong. Have you ever read Macbeth? For one, they predict that he will become king of Scotland (not Denmark). Which he does. But their full prediction is not all that wonderful! The point of the play is that it is Macbeth himself, through his ruthless ambition and arrogance, facilitates his own rise to power and then his downfall... not magic. The witches easily manipulate him through words alone. Macbeth digs his own grave, and he eventually falls into it.

Well, that's my take on it. It's clear that some degree of blame rests on Macbeth's flaws, but the question of whether or not Macbeth is under any supernatural influence can be argued both ways. But that's a different discussion!

Aug 2011
    Religion
    Pantheism
    Phrase
    If I'm wrong, please tell me. I'm not too proud to change my ideas.

I'm not sure you're using faculty or virtues in quite the right contexts.

Either way, maybe you're asking for a dissenting opinion? If that's the case, here's my take:

You seem to be basing your definition of magick on very limited viewpoints, which in turn seems to me like you already know what you think magick is and have found a few references to confirm it. I see you are a naturalist, so i can understand where your viewpoint is coming from.

I don't think magick is just herbs and stones. Nor do i think these things are even NEEDED to perform magick. For me, magick is about intent and is 100% from the mind an dnot from rocks and sticks (wonderful as they might be).
    Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

I don't entirely understand why you brought Shakespeare into the topic, op. It's a strange way to discuss the nature of magic as we practice it because Shakespeare wasn't exactly writing from a realistic perspective. That aside the witches in Macbeth mostly worked with divination. You cited "real life examples" based in myths and plays.
    We all know that herbs traditionally play a role in the work of witches. Most practitioners of magic see magic as a natural force and the practice of casting spells and using magic as tapping into a natural energy. I'm not sure what the point of this post was.

selume proferre

Aug 2011
    Religion
    Pantheism
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by orchestrion View Post
    I don't entirely understand why you brought Shakespeare into the topic, op. It's a strange way to discuss the nature of magic as we practice it because Shakespeare wasn't exactly writing from a realistic perspective. That aside the witches in Macbeth mostly worked with divination. You cited "real life examples" based in myths and plays.
    We all know that herbs traditionally play a role in the work of witches. Most practitioners of magic see magic as a natural force and the practice of casting spells and using magic as tapping into a natural energy. I'm not sure what the point of this post was.
    i was goin gto bring this up, but then i figured all myth was written by man anyway so i suppose Shakespeare and Homer are just as good references as anything else. Suppose we chalk this one up to different strokes.
    Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Jun 2012
    Religion
    Wiccan
    Phrase
    chase the morning.

Hmm, I suppose that's valid, Just_Wondering, but at the same time they're also very different from say an account by a practitioner of magic and are generally considered fictitious works. Especially Shakespeare.

selume proferre

Jul 2012
    Religion
    Panentheistic Druid

I write science fiction, that doesn't mean I know how to build androids... Shakespeare wrote fiction and he never claimed to be writing anything else. I don't think his plays should ever be cited as fact, because that's just not so... That's like citing Harry Potter.

Aug 2011
    Religion
    Pantheism
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by orchestrion View Post
    Hmm, I suppose that's valid, Just_Wondering, but at the same time they're also very different from say an account by a practitioner of magic and are generally considered fictitious works. Especially Shakespeare.
    well yeah that's what i mean though. Before i go on, i want to state that i'm not tryin gto offend anyone's practices but do note i'm an atheist.

I figure all religion is fiction in the beginning. Gods were created by early civilizations to explain things they didn't understand. Thus, lightning was Zeus throwing his bolts down from the sky, etc. Etc.

The experiences after the creation of said gods are genuine, however the belief system is based on a fictional story. So, it's logical to assume any work of fiction could build its own belief system. To say that the Greek gods are real and Shakespeare's witches are fake seems a little silly to me.

It comes in handy when working with deity for ritual. With this mindset, i can worship at the altar of the Terminator and glean strength and discipline from him. Even though he was a fictional character played by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Na'mean? It's all difference of opinion. Perhaps this person's entire belief structure revolves around these stories. It's not a common religion, persay, but obviously it now exists.

I hope that was clear. I'm rereading an dmy eyes are going wobbly.