Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Describe a Gardnerian Wiccan ritual

Originally posted by Air View Post
    I'm not trying to denigrate Wicca because of its origins.

Were any of the women Gardner might have met in the 1930s former students at de Wyche College?
    How could we say that for sure?

I'm not entirely positive as to what you're fishing for here.
    If you want some basic ritual info I'd suggest Scott Cunningham's books or any source that cites him directly if the books aren't an option. Generally his writing is pretty traditionalist and gives you a good sense of what the basic set up of a traditional Wiccan ritual is.
    Last edited by orchestrion; 23 Jul 2012, 15:49.

selume proferre

Comment

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
      How could we say that for sure?

I'm not entirely positive as to what you're fishing for here.
      If you want some basic ritual info I'd suggest Scott Cunningham's books or any source that cites him directly if the books aren't an option. Generally his writing is pretty traditionalist and gives you a good sense of what the basic set up of a traditional Wiccan ritual is.
      I'm trying to determine what the origin of some of Gardner's rituals might be.

Comment

I'm trying to determine what the origin of some of Gardner's rituals might be.
        The best thing then would be to read Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon. A good book, extensively referenced and probably answering all your questions.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          The best thing then would be to read Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon. A good book, extensively referenced and probably answering all your questions.
          I have read it, a fascinating book, but it doesn't come down on one side of the debate or the other. Nor does it mention the de Wyche alumnae who, I reckon, must have had an influence on Wicca. If we knew the names of the women in the New Forest coven we might be able to find out more.

Comment

You said you were trying to discover what the origin of some of the Gardnerian rituals was. Triumph of the Moon explores this in some detail.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              You said you were trying to discover what the origin of some of the Gardnerian rituals was. Triumph of the Moon explores this in some detail.
              I know, but I don't think it goes far enough. Philip Heselton has published books on the subject too.

Comment

I know, but I don't think it goes far enough. Philip Heselton has published books on the subject too.
                As has been said on this thread: Gardner synthesized Wicca from Western occult traditions, folklore, Crowley's ideas and esoteric groups like Rosicrucians and Freemasons. I don't know what else you're looking for unless you're just fishing for conspiracy theories. The "Wytch College" sounds like bogus to me. The New Forest Coven has little to no evidence, save a shred about "Dorothy Clutterbuck" but even if they did exist it was nothing like what was eventually synthesized by Gardner and what we now know as Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                X