• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to do with Chik-fil-A?

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    I've never eaten at a Chickfila.

I never will.

I just like to trollololol.
    I didn't even know that place existed until you made this thread, lol. I've never seen any of them in Detroit, or here in Portland. XD Not even in my travels to El Paso, San Diego, Chicago, or Seattle. *shrugs* They must not be THAT great. :P
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Thal I personally agree with most of what you had to say. And you said it quite well.

But being a Satanist and having a very different set of morals and ideals on how life really operates (for me) I have to say this:

Dan Cathy doesn't have to consider anything.

And with that I have another thread about this! Stay tuned.mg:
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm getting pretty tired of this issue, myself. It's been known for at least over a year what the company's stance is on gay marriage and so forth, and I decided to not eat there (having eaten there a single time) when I found out. I rarely eat fast food anyway, so it's no big loss on my part.

Anyway, my feelings about it are pretty simple:

-The owners of Chik-fil-A can think whatever they want and spend their money however they want. That is their right and I would never dream of infringing on that right or petitioning someone in a fine hat to do so on my behalf.
        -I think those who wish to (zealously) boycott or "bring down" Chik-fil-A are doing nothing but fanning flames and harming their own cause and the LGBT community as a whole.
        -My choosing to not eat there will not harm their business, and that is not my intention anyway. I choose not to give them my business because I could not give my hard-earned money to a company that wishes to petition officials in fine hats to discriminate against myself and my community and keep a clean conscience.
        -I'm sure there are plenty of companies that have anti-gay beliefs and perhaps even give money to anti-gay causes. Perhaps I sometimes do give my money to these companies, but to knowingly give my money to such a company would make me feel, well, dirty.
        -I have no wish to debate about it. Think what you want, believe what you want, and spend your money however you want. If someone I considered a friend were to patronize Chik-fil-A being aware of this issue I'd probably feel a little insulted, but I am not petty enough to let it turn into a wall of resentment against the person.

I am human and will admit that when I see Facebook comments to the effect of "Chik-fil-A is doing God's work" I feel for a moment like choking on my own vomit, but at the end of the day I realize, I just don't GAF.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Thal I personally agree with most of what you had to say. And you said it quite well.

But being a Satanist and having a very different set of morals and ideals on how life really operates (for me) I have to say this:

Dan Cathy doesn't have to consider anything.

And with that I have another thread about this! Stay tuned.mg:
          Medusa, I didn't say he *had* to consider anything, I said he SHOULD! At the end of the day, he's a business man, and he's only going to be able to ride out election year hate politics for profits for so long. For people that actually care about this issue, their memories are long. If he cared about his companies overall image and branding, he'd use a little more common sense.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Medusa, I didn't say he *had* to consider anything, I said he SHOULD! At the end of the day, he's a business man, and he's only going to be able to ride out election year hate politics for profits for so long. For people that actually care about this issue, their memories are long. If he cared about his companies overall image and branding, he'd use a little more common sense.
            I know I know. Was just pointing it out for me at least.

Plus. People have short memories. If not we'd stop being so damned stupid quite a while ago!

Comment

I didn't know they existed until this fiasco started. I'm gay and I honestly don't care what they do. I've never eaten there and it doesn't really affect me. Now I didn't know that he donated to antigay groups, isn't that illegal for one reason or another..?
              Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                I didn't know they existed until this fiasco started. I'm gay and I honestly don't care what they do. I've never eaten there and it doesn't really affect me. Now I didn't know that he donated to antigay groups, isn't that illegal for one reason or another..?
                It's not illegal to have anti gay opinions. So no, it's not illegal to do whatever you want with your own money.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                  Nope, it's not. The church I was raised in does so, too...that's part of why we decided to deal with all the drama and red tape of having our names removed from the records.

I'm not going to read the whole thread...I've been gone and it would take too long. I will say, though, that the money is why I got all upset about this. Dude can say whatever he wants. Donating to groups that say that gay people are child molesters, and condone making them illegal and/or throwing them out of the country? That's something else entirely.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

LOL. This.

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to think of which fallacy it is... non sequitor? Using the 'freedom of speech' flag is not a reason, or excuse, for judging how appropriate boycotting is. It simply defines the legality of boycotting. Disagreeing with a boycott has nothing to do with that legality.

True? Or am I using the wrong fallacy, there?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        I'm trying to think of which fallacy it is... non sequitor? Using the 'freedom of speech' flag is not a reason, or excuse, for judging how appropriate boycotting is. It simply defines the legality of boycotting. Disagreeing with a boycott has nothing to do with that legality.

True? Or am I using the wrong fallacy, there?
                        I'm pretty sure you're right.
                        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                        X