Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pagan views on hunting

Originally posted by Dral View Post
    I have 600 acres of prime forestland that shall be a pristine killing ground for as long as I'm alive
    Since one acre produces enough oxygen for about 19 people annually, it looks like 11399 people owe you air.

You are also making up for driving a car 15600000 miles per year.

(rough figures from a quick Internet search, not intended to be taken very seriously)

I'd say you're doing your bit...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I used to be vegetarian as a teen, even vegan for a bit.

I realized that my biggest issue wasn't with eating animals, but with what I personally see as hypocrisy of being willing to eat something you did not produce or kill yourself, while expressing disgust for that whole side of the issue.

I currently live in a tiny apartment. Someday, I want to be able to raise and kill my own animals, as well as learn to hunt. As is, I try to buy meat that was raised ethically, and teach my children to be aware of and grateful for the lives they end to live.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Being a wildlife Biology major tends to have me thinking in a similar manner, I scare people when I say we need to loose 5 billion or so of the population rofl
        So I am not alone? It's not that I want people to suffer or have to go through the pain of losing someone they love, but no one seems to want to stop having multiple children. It is considered a human right and money is spent (NHS money here in the UK), on trying to make women pregnant. Stuff the fact that there are hundreds of children in need of a loving adoptive home, no, they need their own biological offspring because... You tell me. So the way I see it, there is no choice but for people to suffer and die on mass. It's that, or let poor innocent couples go without passing on their reproduction loving genes... I would maybe have liked to have kids one day, but I am morally against it. I feel other parents have had my quota for me. I might adopt one day though, if I can get through the red tape.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
          Stuff the fact that there are hundreds of children in need of a loving adoptive home, no, they need their own biological offspring because... You tell me. So the way I see it, there is no choice but for people to suffer and die on mass. It's that, or let poor innocent couples go without passing on their reproduction loving genes... I would maybe have liked to have kids one day, but I am morally against it. I feel other parents have had my quota for me. I might adopt one day though, if I can get through the red tape.

off topic, but...

Adoption has a enough problems that I can completely and utterly understand why people would be reluctant or unwilling to adopt.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Now, I have a fair whack of land I own and, food wise, I try to be as self-sufficient as I can. If I cannot grow a food myself then I favor pick-your own farms over supermarkets. The one I tend to go to is totally organic, which is why I like doing it. I want to eat food, proper stuff, extra-bent carrots, funny sized potatoes, didn't-quite-work tomatoes, not the perfect, chemically-sprayed stuff that is generally sold en mass.

As for meat, my boyfriend and I will only eat what we, or a car, has killed, provided the roadkill is not too squished and it is still fresh. As for the ethics of it, I think hunting is fine as long as you don't kill anything endangered and you don't kill more that you have too. Plus, you should use as much of each and every animal as you can.

Humans have evolved to be omnivores. I feel we would be harming ourselves if we didn't eat what we are supposed to eat; what we have evolved to need to sustain us. Meat is part of that, provided it is not done in a wasteful manor.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Since one acre produces enough oxygen for about 19 people annually, it looks like 11399 people owe you air.

You are also making up for driving a car 15600000 miles per year.

(rough figures from a quick Internet search, not intended to be taken very seriously)

I'd say you're doing your bit...

It seems as though I should be making some money from this then?

- - - Updated - - -

So I am not alone? It's not that I want people to suffer or have to go through the pain of losing someone they love, but no one seems to want to stop having multiple children. It is considered a human right and money is spent (NHS money here in the UK), on trying to make women pregnant. Stuff the fact that there are hundreds of children in need of a loving adoptive home, no, they need their own biological offspring because... You tell me. So the way I see it, there is no choice but for people to suffer and die on mass. It's that, or let poor innocent couples go without passing on their reproduction loving genes... I would maybe have liked to have kids one day, but I am morally against it. I feel other parents have had my quota for me. I might adopt one day though, if I can get through the red tape.

I have 22 Aunts and Uncles, 178 first cousins. My family has already made up for your lack of children 10x lolol. Personally I will have 2 kids max.

And I know people can't get the memo, ah well the natural population equalizer (plague, famine, and war) will take care of it eventually.

Comment

I have 22 Aunts and Uncles, 178 first cousins. My family has already made up for your lack of children 10x lolol. Personally I will have 2 kids max.

And I know people can't get the memo, ah well the natural population equalizer (plague, famine, and war) will take care of it eventually.
                Maybe I am not so evil after all. I guess pagans just appreciate that nature WILL find a way, and often in harsh ways. I understand that this may seem a little off topic to some, but I dragged the conversation this way, to put hunting into context for those who just think it is cruel and shouldn't be done by good nature-loving pagans. Population control IS harsh, and is necessary even for human beings. Although I also think sterilisation programs should be considered in cases where animals really are booming out of control, rather than mass culling. Which is kinda what I am hinting at for humans.

Of course, I don't blame any one person for baby booms. I just think globally, people need to understand the importance of stopping after child number two. There simply isn't enough education on the subject.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                  As long as the meat doesn't go to waste, I don't see anything wrong with hunting. Generally speaking, I think it's a better way to connect with the land, and with what's going into your body, than just going down and picking up a pound of hamburger from the grocery store.
                  I agree with this. Though most people I know who hunt are incredibly disrespectful and wasteful. Hunting with a purpose and not just for sport seems fine yo me. Though, I also catch and release fish so I'm a little bit of a softy about this stuff. :P

selume proferre

Comment

Maybe I am not so evil after all. I guess pagans just appreciate that nature WILL find a way, and often in harsh ways. I understand that this may seem a little off topic to some, but I dragged the conversation this way, to put hunting into context for those who just think it is cruel and shouldn't be done by good nature-loving pagans. Population control IS harsh, and is necessary even for human beings. Although I also think sterilisation programs should be considered in cases where animals really are booming out of control, rather than mass culling. Which is kinda what I am hinting at for humans.

Of course, I don't blame any one person for baby booms. I just think globally, people need to understand the importance of stopping after child number two. There simply isn't enough education on the subject.

I agree with you but humanity as a collective is a very stupid species :/ or rather naive. Here in America we've gotten the memo, the national average is right at 2.36 per household, but tell that to the rest of the world. Your absolutely right though one way or the other nature will find a way. Tis why I'll be hanging onto the family farm.

Personally I'm oppossed to the sterilization bit but that's just because I'm partial to the harsher side of population control

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by orchestrion View Post
                    I agree with this. Though most people I know who hunt are incredibly disrespectful and wasteful. Hunting with a purpose and not just for sport seems fine yo me. Though, I also catch and release fish so I'm a little bit of a softy about this stuff. :P

You'd be surprised how efficient most hunters can be. For instance, when I take a dear the meat is preserved, the organs go for organic compost/ to bait traps, the bones go for art crafts, the skin gets turned into either a nice rug or clothes. But I agree people who kill just for sport shouldn't be allowed near a wild animal.

Comment

You'd be surprised how efficient most hunters can be. For instance, when I take a dear the meat is preserved, the organs go for organic compost/ to bait traps, the bones go for art crafts, the skin gets turned into either a nice rug or clothes. But I agree people who kill just for sport shouldn't be allowed near a wild animal.

I need far more bones, hides and organ meat than one animal can provide. Best thing is that every animal comes with just enough material to brain-tan it's own hide. More good thinking, on Nature's part, I have to say.

And yet, I don't hunt anymore (due to physical issues, not a moral stance).

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                        I need far more bones, hides and organ meat than one animal can provide. Best thing is that every animal comes with just enough material to brain-tan it's own hide. More good thinking, on Nature's part, I have to say.

And yet, I don't hunt anymore (due to physical issues, not a moral stance).
                        A brain tanner eh?

Comment

No one raised this so far, but I suppose hunting would be more of an issue here in the UK compared to the states. You guys have way more space in which to hunt and your wildlife has plenty of space to spread out and breed in peace. Most hunting (legal anyway), here, is contrived.. commercial populations bred only for the sport of hunting (which you pay a price for). So much of our uncultivated land is protected/preserved. So I wonder if hunting as you guys in the States know it, is even possible here.

That does push us uncomfortably close to the subject of hunting with horse and hound of course.

Comment

No one raised this so far, but I suppose hunting would be more of an issue here in the UK compared to the states. You guys have way more space in which to hunt and your wildlife has plenty of space to spread out and breed in peace. Most hunting (legal anyway), here, is contrived.. commercial populations bred only for the sport of hunting (which you pay a price for). So much of our uncultivated land is protected/preserved. So I wonder if hunting as you guys in the States know it, is even possible here.

That does push us uncomfortably close to the subject of hunting with horse and hound of course.

I hunt with horse and hound here in the States, what do you mean?

And you have a good point, I don't know if y'all could have hunting like we do here. But that goes back to our overpopulation point. America hasn't really gotten that packed yet. And for the record people who engage in "sport hunting" are not real hunters. There is no sport in killing something that was bred purely for dieing in an area built for hunters :/

Comment

... Although I also think sterilisation programs should be considered in cases where animals really are booming out of control, rather than mass culling...
                              Do you know what it means to "cull a herd"? I live in the Northern tip of Michigan. There are so many deer here that, in the spring, all the farm fields are a solid mass of bodies. This deer herd extends all the way south to Detroit, where you will find dead dead on the freeways. One single herd extending for many, many hundred miles. What would you do, surgically sterilize 200,000 deer? - at what enormous expense? Or maybe drop hormone laced food in the winter? (nah. Let's table that before somebody takes it seriously)

On the other hand, when the deer are culled by mass shooting, the meat generally goes to government food banks.

A good ecologist does not waste resources.

Which is kinda what I am hinting at for humans

Well, the humans in the audience are going to let this pass...

Of course, I don't blame any one person for baby booms.
                              Awful white of you. Thanks!
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                                Do you know what it means to "cull a herd"? I live in the Northern tip of Michigan. There are so many deer here that, in the spring, all the farm fields are a solid mass of bodies. This deer herd extends all the way south to Detroit, where you will find dead dead on the freeways. One single herd extending for many, many hundred miles. What would you do, surgically sterilize 200,000 deer? - at what enormous expense? Or maybe drop hormone laced food in the winter? (nah. Let's table that before somebody takes it seriously)

On the other hand, when the deer are culled by mass shooting, the meat generally goes to government food banks.

A good ecologist does not waste resources.

Well, the humans in the audience are going to let this pass...

Awful white of you. Thanks!
                                Who pissed in your cheerios this mornin' Cap'n?

We have to do the same thing with our elk herds down here. Is it a free for all or does the game warden set up the culls?

Comment

Working...
                                X