Walnut Harvesting - Would like some ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walnut Harvesting - Would like some ideas

So a couple years ago I walked around my neighborhood and collected some walnuts to put in a dish. It was a rather fun adventure and I decided to do it every year. Well I didn't last year even though I meant to so I'm making a point to do it this year. I'm not sure how much luck I'll have because of the weather but I will try.

Anyway, so last time I used pickle buckets but I'm sure my dad would appreciate I didn't use all the pickle buckets for walnuts. So I would like to either make, find, buy, something else that maybe isn't as boring as a pickle bucket but will still be of good size and relatively easy to carry around. I've been crocheting lately so I could crochet a giant bag...somehow I don't think that'll do well with massive amounts of walnuts. Or maybe there's some other material I could use to crochet with to make a nice ginormous bag? I don't know, that's why I'm here. Ideas anyone?

Re: Walnut Harvesting - Would like some ideas

I have no idea about a container, so sorry that this isn't very helpful... However, I am very interested in this topic because I would like to share the frustration of walnuts :P I have THREE black walnut trees in my back yard. It's nearly impossible to go outside when they're dropping, because you will get hit. And that shit hurts. They're EVERYWHERE.

Comment

I'd crochet a couple of bags...I use them for produce shopping @ the farmers market and the grocery store. Then just stick them in your pockets when you go out, and get a carabiner to attache them to whatever you are carrying. All you need is a sturdy cotton yarn, and basically you chain stitch in the round, connecting them to the previous circle every 4-5 stitches (or more, with a smaller string) to make a big open weave kind of mesh....just load as many slip stitches as you can cram onto your initial circle of 4-5 stitches.

like this:http://diyods.blogspot.com/2010/04/c...oduce-bag.html
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyranth View Post
        I have no idea about a container, so sorry that this isn't very helpful... However, I am very interested in this topic because I would like to share the frustration of walnuts :P I have THREE black walnut trees in my back yard. It's nearly impossible to go outside when they're dropping, because you will get hit. And that shit hurts. They're EVERYWHERE.
        Haha, we only have one tree and it's right outside the backyard fence though I thing that area technically belongs to the neigbor behind us. So I've never had a walnut fall on me but I suppose there's a first time for everything, especially if I keep this up.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        I'd crochet a couple of bags...I use them for produce shopping @ the farmers market and the grocery store. Then just stick them in your pockets when you go out, and get a carabiner to attache them to whatever you are carrying. All you need is a sturdy cotton yarn, and basically you chain stitch in the round, connecting them to the previous circle every 4-5 stitches (or more, with a smaller string) to make a big open weave kind of mesh....just load as many slip stitches as you can cram onto your initial circle of 4-5 stitches.

like this:http://diyods.blogspot.com/2010/04/c...oduce-bag.html
        That would be perfect! Of course I would have to make it much much much bigger xD But I'm glad it's crochet, since that's my new thing I'm doing. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X