All things equestrian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things equestrian

I've noticed a few people mention they have horses or partake in equestian activities so I thought this might be a nice subject for a thread. I'd love to hear about your four legged friends, see pics and share stories!

I'm not currently in a position to ride, but haven't ruled out taking it up again eventually. I still enjoy talking about horses, their care and riding. So.. lets go...
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: All things equestrian

I have 3 currently. One draft horse for plowing and farm work and two Tennessee Walkers for riding and at some point I will own a Shire horse. As far as animals go horses have to be my absolute personal favorite Mostly because of their versatility. Being from the country we use them for everything, farm work, hunting, riding to school/town (yes I rode my horse to high school be jelly ).

Has anyone ever broken a colt by the way?

Comment

Ah cool! No, I have never broken a youngster, I've brought one on, with help from more experienced folk, but never broken from scratch. I'd love to get the chance to. If it's a skill you have, it's a great way of aquiring a very good animal relatively cheap.

A lady I work with has a Tennessee walking horse. As a rule, they're not usually seen in the UK, but she wanted to ride western (very rare here too: we all like to ride as if we have a pole up our backsides..). She was tired of the snobbery of English style so aquired the walker. She's had a lot of problems with the mare, though I think she is finally sound and my friend plans to train as a qualified teacher of western style. There are apparently only a handfull of qualified teachers in the UK, so it's a smart career plan.

Do you have any wild herds near where you are? Your wild horses are mustang, right? They must be such a sight.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

First time I ever broke a bone was breaking in a new colt. We breed Tennessee walkers so it's a skill I picked up. Only time I've ever contemplated shooting a horse.

lmao I'd like to see that, "Western" style as you call it is the only kind I've ever known so English style would be interesting. Is there much demand for equestrian trainers over there? There practically non existant where I'm at but that's just because everyone grows up riding. I barrel race the walkers btw

Wild herds? No the mustang herds are further out west. They're mostly in Montana and Wyoming out on National perserves. Not all mustangs are wild btw I'd like to own one some day. Though you can never really break them in.

Do you ride much btw? Oh and what breeds do you guys normally have over there?

Comment

<--------------horribly allergic to horses

...which bums out the hubby, who grew up raising and selling them
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X