Any other Celtic Recons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any other Celtic Recons?

Youve a shot at getting some journal articles here too.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
      Getting JSTOR access is simple Tylluan if someone local to you said no ask the actual librarian, its an essential tool for any research so its readily available in all library systems and because its an internationally run site the same rules to access apply internationally. Ive first hand had access in libraries in the UK and in North America. Even living in the sticks here in an area with the highest illiteracy rate in the country I got access sorted in a matter of days with no fuss.

Even if you hate libraries you can get access. If youre in a college or know someone who is in a college you can get off campus access cos all students are given a pass from their college. JSTOR also have free MyJstor accounts that give you access to a limited number of journals from home.

Really, you cannot be researching anything without access to journals. Denying you access is boarderline human rights violation. With the exception of things published before journals were common no one looks at a book for research. By the time a book is published its out of date and anything in a book will have been in the journals years before hand.

Not having jstor access is like not having fire.
      Thank you for the info James, but so far in Wales JSTOR isn't available from public libraries.... in my area they spent the spare cash on a subscription (you'll love this ;-) ) to Ancestry.com instead! Philistines! And I totally agree that it's virtually a human rights violation (IMHO) ....
      I shall certainly look into it further though (I get my access from the University) because I do feel it should be more widely available. At the moment free content for private individuals is limited to pre-1923 in the United States and prior to 1870 elsewhere. Still, it's a start....
      Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 12 Aug 2012, 10:36.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        Thank you for the info James, but so far in Wales JSTOR isn't available from public libraries.... in my area they spent the spare cash on a subscription (you'll love this ;-) ) to Ancestry.com instead! Philistines! And I totally agree that it's virtually a human rights violation (IMHO) ....
        I shall certainly look into it further though (I get my access from the University) because I do feel it should be more widely available. At the moment free content for private individuals is limited to pre-1923 in the United States and prior to 1870 elsewhere. Still, it's a start....
        It isn't in North Tyneside either. I used to have access as a post grad member of Liverpool uni, but membership isn't free and I couldn't physically access the libraries archives and I don't like reading papers online (I'm more interested in biology however: history is way down on my list of interests next to 'back end of a fart and where it came from', which isn't to say I never care.. I sometimes like to know 'who dealt it'). Aanyway, I tried to gain access locally and was practically laughed out of the library. They suggested Newcastle Uni. I tried them, they asked if I had ever been a student there, I said no, they said, 'bye bye'.

Strange that we have such conflicting experiences throughout the United Kingdom.
        Last edited by Jembru; 12 Aug 2012, 15:22.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

God damn your libraries must be profoundly underfunded now or something because I got access in manchester and angelsea in the past. Ive mates in the North of Ireland who get access...

Are you sure they just didnt know what jstor was? Ive had to ask the actual librarian in the past because some of the people who work in libraries are there on community schemes. Nothing wrong with community schemes at all but someone like a librarian who need an ma for the job would be the better one to ask. Being laughed at for asking for access sounds like the peasants out of blackadder or somethin.

Comment

^ that's not entirely impossible actually. It wouldn't be the first time I've been told something wasn't possible, when really it was just undertrained staff. I didn't try Newcastle Central Library: that MIGHT be the place to go as it has more funding than North Tyneside Libraries. I'm just not sure if I am able to join, because I am not a resident of the Newcastle area. Worth asking I guess, because I'd be thrilled to get journal access again.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

God damn your libraries must be profoundly underfunded now or something because I got access in manchester and angelsea in the past. Ive mates in the North of Ireland who get access...

Are you sure they just didnt know what jstor was? Ive had to ask the actual librarian in the past because some of the people who work in libraries are there on community schemes. Nothing wrong with community schemes at all but someone like a librarian who need an ma for the job would be the better one to ask. Being laughed at for asking for access sounds like the peasants out of blackadder or somethin.
              Underfunding is probably the problem in my area - as I said, they told me they'd spent the additional funding not on JSTOR but on Ancestry.com.... because it interested more people. *rolls eyes*

As for librarians needing an MA - nope. Not even a first degree in some instances (and I'm talking about being the head honcho in a branch library, too, which is scary.)

At one point I was told they couldn't do regional library loans, which is a total lie, but I had to be very persistent to sort it out. Luckily I still have university access, but I feel strongly that it should be more widely - and fairly - available.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hell yeah it should Tylluan, I emailed the conwy coco and they dont have access in any of their libraries now AND they referred me to Bangor University in Ireland for access. That is a shockin disgrace. We are in so much debt in Ireland when we look down theres only greece and a big burning pit below us but we dont cut funding to libraries... priorities!

If any of the UK types on the forums are stuck for an article Ill go get it for you. No charge to the UK taxpayers.

Edit: turns out bangor U is in wales... thank feck. Its not that bad
                Last edited by JamesByrne; 13 Aug 2012, 08:43.

Comment

At least y'all have libraries. When I'm not living at my University there's not a single library within 100 miles of me.

Comment

Hell yeah it should Tylluan, I emailed the conwy coco and they dont have access in any of their libraries now AND they referred me to Bangor University in Ireland for access. That is a shockin disgrace. We are in so much debt in Ireland when we look down theres only greece and a big burning pit below us but we dont cut funding to libraries... priorities!

If any of the UK types on the forums are stuck for an article Ill go get it for you. No charge to the UK taxpayers.

Edit: turns out bangor U is in wales... thank feck. Its not that bad
                    Damn: so I'd be lucky to get access through Central Library. I thought it was too good to be true. Bummer

Comment

Just wondering, but would any of the recons posting in here be interested in starting an 'ask a...' thread. We don't seem to have one and it would be nice to have a place to pop in and leave our questions. Just a suggestion of course.

Comment

I have a question for the recons!

While reading around, I have noticed many times, that poetry is considered a fairly central theme within Celtic Reconstruction. One author suggests that the magic of a spell even comes from the power of the poetry.

This idea really speaks to me. I've long held a belief that words are powerful, almost alive. I consider language like an organism, evolving, cross-breeding, spreading to other lands, sometimes even invading. The very ability that we humans have, to build upon vocalisations in such a way as to create a comprehensible language, is one of the wonders of the human race.

Is this power of language the reason poetry is considered so important? Did the Celts value linguistics in the way I have expressed? Or is it the artistic talent and ability of the poet that is important?

I've just realised how unclear this question is. It's one of those things that is tangeable and real inside me, but doesn't seem to translate well into these magical words!! Hope someone understands what I am getting at.

Basically, I'm trying to work out if my passion for linguistics could translate as the same thing as the Celtic appreciation of poetry. How do YOU, figure this poetry into your worship and do you consider 'poetry' to include non-verbal things too?
                        Last edited by Jembru; 26 Sep 2012, 14:14.

Comment

I can't speak for recons Jembru but I've noticed a trend in using the language in that sort of way with them.

Is speculate that old poems have a special value in cr because of the idea that alll myths were originally written as poetry by people who were the descendants of druids. One of the things about that style of poetry is its deliberately archaic and ideally should be static. When it functions its not percieved as a part of a living trad but of an old one that supports a contemporary living trad

Whether recons see it that way or in the context of s living medieval literary tradition is hard to say. Deregulation is such a big part of culture in the US the best that can be said about recons is the ones I've observed generaly looked at poems as ancient and psgan but they don't claim to act as a group or share any common unifying belief other then ' methodology' in how they research their beliefs

Comment

So amongst modern Celtic pagans, it is the specific poems, in the style of language first recorded in, that people believe have power? This seems to me to be different in intent, to how the bards and druids viewed it (I've no idea what the difference is, the words seem to be used interchangeably, or at least with little distinction, so far in my research, although prior to this, I thought a bard was more like a wandering minstrel, telling stories and singing songs. I'm learning yet). The impression I've taken, is that these words of power are uttered spontaneously and it was this ability to call up such words at will, that was so revered. Also, I didn't think they wrote things down and thought each bard would put his own twist on the tales recited. This modern concept of the words being used 'exactly as were', seems to bypass the intended mystery.

Of course, I have much to study yet. I'm on two books right now, but one is kind of neopagan/wiccan/made-up-history type stuff. I actually intend to start a thread based on some of the authors more dubious claims, to see if together we can untangle the truth she has misunderstood and taken out of context.

Comment

That sounds like fun Jembru

I'd say youre bang on with the bards, the term is given a new meaning in neopaganism through OBOD druidry who take the romantic term from english trad and use it as a grade in modern druidry. Bards historically are minstrels and scribes in around the 16th c, the fili/poets are early medieval and poss iron age. The theory that bards were remnants of druidry applied to them...

Its still popularbut the most recent ones dont agree

Comment

Ah, thanks for explaining that. Would you be interested in starting an 'ask a Celtic reconstructionist' thread? It would offer a convenient place to ask my questions, although if you prefer, there's no reason why we can't continue in here. It just seems a little stray from the original theme of the thread (ie. Looking for othe recons).

Comment

Working...
                                X