How to enchant a weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enchant a weapon

Greetings to my new supernatural friends.
    I personally don't believe in magic, but I would like to test it whether it works or not and I have a practical need for it.

I am Ninjutsu practitioner and I would like to enchant my swords to protect them from losing sharpness, chipping or breaking and to make them need less, or no maintainance at all.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: How to enchant a weapon

Hello our new ninja friend. Nothing super about me I'm afraid. Just 100% natural (well, okay, my bra is padded and I dye my hair). I don't know what you think magic is. Have you done any research. Most witches would probably look into possible treatments that can be applied to keep a blade sharp, or ensure the sword is stored and used correctly between uses. If you want to try magic, go ahead, but I've little faith it would work to be honest. Especially if you don't believe anyway. Some spell workers believe it is something to do with the power of the human mind that makes spells work. It sure seems that when I doubt something, mundane or magical, my negativity holds me back from achieving my goals.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Muramasa View Post
      Greetings to my new supernatural friends.
      I personally don't believe in magic, but I would like to test it whether it works or not and I have a practical need for it.

I am Ninjutsu practitioner and I would like to enchant my swords to protect them from losing sharpness, chipping or breaking and to make them need less, or no maintainance at all.
      Thanks in advance.
      Seriously? Either upgrade to stronger and sharper swords, or take better care of the ones you do have. Or both. Trying to use Magick as some kind of supernatural wet-stone, especially when you don't believe in the energy you are trying to channel and focus in the first place, is most likely doomed to failure.

I practice the Martial Arts as well, and believe me nothing would make me happier than using Magick to turn myself into one of the Physical Adepts you read about in the Shadowrun novels. But even I know enough to state that real Magick doesn't work like that. It won't make your weapons, or your body for that matter, physically stronger. As the chaps on the losing side of the Boxer's Rebellion found out the hard way...:devil:

Comment

I always clean, oil and powder my blades after use and I sharpen it and polish it when it's needed, but doing it right takes about 5 hours of hard work.
        It is high quality 1065 high carbon stell but I would like to use magic to make my job easier.

Comment

Sorry bud, but that's not how magic works.

Mostly art.

Comment

You mean I can't magically enchant my rifles before Dear season :/ ?

Comment

Hello stranger.
              I'd say that if you actively claim to not believe in magic you aren't going to have much luck.
              Plus, as Jembru touched on, a lot of folks see magic as the manipulation of energies and the human mind. It doesn't work like it does in movies, you don't wave your wand at a sword and suddenly it's like new. Spells are, at least in my experience, largely meditative and ingredients and other physical aspects are mostly secondary. I'd say just to continue the upkeep of your sword and not to invest too much thought in magically rendering your blade perfect. :P

selume proferre

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept of enchanting a blade to prevent chipping and to slow it from becoming dull - there are plenty of charms and spells for enchantment and protection of various items, homes, even livestock/pets/people. Traditionally people did preform charms to prevent damage to plows, blessings on weapons before a hunt, and so on, so it's not like it's unheard of. That said, I don't think such a charm would ever be a substitute for all maintenance to the item. In my opinion, such spells work best in combination with good old fashioned non-magical methods.

So you could, in theory, put a charm on your blade to prevent damage like chipping, but you'd still have to take care of it like you normally do as well. It's like... someone may preform a healing on a friend for them to get over a flu quicker, but if that friend doesn't also do basic things like rest, fluids, etc. then they're probably not going to see a lot in terms of results.

The other half of that, as has been pointed out, is the magic is not just in drawing symbols and reciting words, or whatever. The symbols, words, and other items are just to help focus your intent... If you don't have any faith in such things, and no knowledge of/experience with spellwork, you're not likely to have much success.
                Hearth and Hedge

Comment

If the edge of your blade is chipping, the problem is in your fighting skills. Don't block with the edge. You parry with the flat.

If your blade is dull, sharpen it. Good blades are made of carbon steel, which is not as hard as you'd imagine - but what the carbon steel does do that other, harder steels (like stainless) can't do is... Be easily sharpened to a razor edge. Maintaining one's weapons is part of the warrior's job.

And if it breaks, either you are using it wrong, or it is poorly made, or it has been poorly maintained (a nick in the blade, if not filed out, will eventually become a stress fracture).

When working with weapons, I recommend skill, knowledge, and practice over juju.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ofcourse, I train a lot and I block correctly, but when I cut hard targets or get my cut blocked, chipping is inevitable. Even when wielded by great swordsmen, it happens. Someya sensei, for example, has about $130 monthly costs per sword for maintainance.
                    I know, 1065 high carbon steel is very hard and holds sharpness, but it's still not perfect. That's why I would like to use magic. I wouldn't mind even if it contracts a curse like those that were believed to be attached to blades forged by great swordsmith whose name I took for my nick.

Comment

If magic isnt your thing why not go with something from your own folk culture. Youre Serbian Im sure theres something there thatll help protect a fighter. I know my folk culture has and even the things about folk culture that I dont believe in with my head anymore I know are true in my heart because I was raised right and value my culture. Maybe its the same for you.

If not you could try researching Shingon for religious charms or I have heard the Kukishinden ryu school of Koryu have things like that. Maybe their manuals could be a source.

Comment

Working...
                      X