Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help replacing my ritual knife

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Norse Pagan (self taught - looking for more traditions)

Looking for help replacing my ritual knife

Hey - hope this is the right place to post this.

I lost my ritual knife when my last housemate moved out about 2 years ago and have been using an interim one since - but it's never felt permanent and I'm feeling pushed to get a replacement now

And by pushed i mean pushed - I've even been getting flashes of what I should be getting

So I was wondering if anyone knew someone who did custom smithing in Australia. If not I'll have to go with something similar - but not the same as the flashes due to Australian law on knives (Single edge only)

I am just looking for some help and/or advice here - especially since the flashes and pushing are getting stronger and more frequent.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

Re: Looking for help replacing my ritual knife

I can't help with the Aussie angle, but over the years I've had a number of blades that I've sought to use. I ended up settling on one made entirely of antler. There's just something comfortable about it. As for these flashes, is there a specific design you keep seeing?
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Oct 2015
    Religion

A roughforged iron/steel ( The surface is pitted and black except at the edges) blade sharpened on both sides with a slight curve to the tip and a rough antler handle

Australian law would mean I couldn't import it unless it only had one edge

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Do you have any places near you that do knife shows? You may find just what you're looking for there.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2015
    Religion

Unfortunately no . Rural australia doesn't have much and where i am it's 7 hours or $180 to a capital city. I'm sorta in the middle of nowhere out here ( Although we do have a great university in town - actually that's the reason it is a town not a small community of less than 5000. I checked the antiques show when it came through but there was nothing there.

My best hope is to find a smith that does custom work. worst comes to worst I have a friend with a foot powered grindstone so I can sharpen the back edge if it's prepped for it. ( A Lot of Medieval re-enactors in town but the 3 who knew smithing left 2-4 years ago.) s

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

Maybe carve one out of wood in the design you are seeing. It's more of a wand, but hey, hybrids are always cool.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Marradin View Post
    Unfortunately no . Rural australia doesn't have much and where i am it's 7 hours or $180 to a capital city. I'm sorta in the middle of nowhere out here ( Although we do have a great university in town - actually that's the reason it is a town not a small community of less than 5000. I checked the antiques show when it came through but there was nothing there.

My best hope is to find a smith that does custom work. worst comes to worst I have a friend with a foot powered grindstone so I can sharpen the back edge if it's prepped for it. ( A Lot of Medieval re-enactors in town but the 3 who knew smithing left 2-4 years ago.) s
    I'm going to a place that has knives for sale next weekend. Maybe send me an idea of what you're looking for, and I'll see if I can find something like it.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2015
    Religion

A roughforged iron/steel ( The surface is pitted and black except at the sharpened edges) blade sharpened on both sides with a slight curve to the tip and a rough antler handle

Australian law would mean I couldn't import it unless it only had one edge

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

I would check Etsy and Witchvox.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase

Here's a few sites that are Australian and sell knives: one, two, three, four, and five.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs