Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Budget Pagan

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Solitary Eclectic Pagan Witch

Re: The Budget Pagan

Great post!

I haven't bought anything so far. I am able to practice without any tools, just my intentions and my body. I do have some tea candles, which I have used.

I would love to get a nice incense holder, but I don't think it's necessary for a solitary practitioner to have anything. Tools (and pretty things) would be nice, and maybe in the future when I have a lot of disposable income, but for now, I work with what I have.

And it's great to know that I can. ;D

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

I have the most inexpensive source for salt water .... I live 2 blocks from the ocean ... I f I need some I get it during new moon ... I figure the following waxing moons simply add to the power that I think it has ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

None of my ritual items were bought or obtained for that purpose. My athame was bought at a street fair for fun, I later realized it was a straight up athame (how didn't I notice those runes earlier?), my water is tap water, my pentacle is just a bone disk bead with a yin-yang on it, and my wand was just a stick with a quartz crystal attached by wire. Herbs/spices are my problem but my limited cooking spices cover most purposes.
    The thrift stores are great places to get stuff but I have not yet had anything at the thrift store stand out to me.

Cheapest ritual item ever; your imagination

My incense burner is a bowl full of unscented cheap clay cat litter from the dollar store.

My candles are Shabbat candles, purchased at the grocery store.. 72 for $4.99!

My herbs and spices are bought at the dollar store. Hooray for %0.50 basil! Clove is more expensive, and I had to get it from the normal grocery store, but a little goes a long way. I grow others. Seeds are cheap, plastic food containers are plentiful, and dirt is everywhere.

Incense can be made from these herbs. Why buy a smudge stick for $5, when you can simply bundle and dry your own sage for less? I have since purchased some nice sticks for relatively cheap, but it's not necessary.

Water is water. If you're worried about purity, you can get a gallon of filtered and deionized water for $0.89 at Walmart.

My altar cloth is a bandana I purchased for a dollar. I upgraded from an old t-shirt.

My altars used to be on top of an overturned cardboard box. I have since "upgraded" to various shelves and tables, obtained slowly and over the years, for very cheap. Cigar boxes are awesome. You can generally get these for free at cigar shoppes, ad then you paint them. There are a lot of Hobby Lobby stores, with some nice raw wood boxes you can play around with. Yeah, I don't like their affiliations, but hey.. My northern altar cost ten bucks.

My altar tools were carved, using a paring knife, from the branches of a tree that fell in my back yard when I was in high school. They're crude, but effective. I figure you could go out to a park after a wind storm, and pick up some dead wood to work with.

Flea markets, garage sales, and dollar stores are just fine places to purchase your athame from. By the way, for those of you who do not know, an athame is your ceremonial knife.

And, as it was stated before, you don't need a danged bit of this stuff. Not really. It's nice to have, and can help you focus your mind, but it's all placebos.

Your brain is a part of reality, and, as such, is privy to its darkest secrets.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=oldeone link=topic=561.msg20278#msg20278 date=1291666572]
    There are a lot of Hobby Lobby stores, with some nice raw wood boxes you can play around with.

[/quote]

I like these...you can nail them into the studs in the wall for an awesome little shrine.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    eclectic wiccan
    Phrase
    Live the dream

lol that brings back memories! when i was just starting out i would go into the field next to my house and get the herbs that I needed and i would put them on my altar in my sisters play house. Mom always thought she was "decorating"

but now i have so many things that i have gotten second hand its not funny. Even my tea lights are second hand lol. the only thing that i have gotten first hand is by bos of course.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=561.msg20282#msg20282 date=1291667726]
    I like these...you can nail them into the studs in the wall for an awesome little shrine.
    [/quote]

OH OH, shrines!!!! Check this out. Pirate old drawers from the discarded dressers and desks in the dumpsters outside of apartment complexes! Take the front handle off, and set it upright, so the front of the drawer is the base! It's wood, it's sturdy, and it's utterly free! ..minus maybe a bit of household cleaner. If I wasn't so opposed to posting pictures of my working altars, I'd show ya. Hm. Maybe I ought do up a generic one to show everyone?

Your brain is a part of reality, and, as such, is privy to its darkest secrets.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    Ask me about my crippling shyness.

A lot of my stuff is stuff I found or stuff that was given to me. I don't have a permanent altar, but my box alter sits in a gorgeous wooden box that my partner has had for years. I use a kitchen knife as an athame, my wand is a stick I found, my disk is an Ancient-Egyptian-style bronze plate that my mum gave me. My mortar and pestle was a gift, too. Only my cup was bought, and that was probably a bad purchase (beautiful, and speaks to me, but hideously overpriced).

Oe thing I love doing is picking things up when I go for walks. Around my neighbourhood there are all sorts of different trees and plants! Jacaranda, jasmine, lavender, pine. All I have to do is grab bits on my way to or from work! As long as my neighbours don't catch me, that is

I also try not to waste anything. If I'm cooking with lemon juice (with a lemon taken from the tree at work), I'll use the rind to make lemon oil, which can be used in cleaning as well as in rituals.

Jun 2005
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

Garage sales are a great place to look. My naos is a stand-up jewelery box from a garage sale that I modified inside to hold my statue.

I also like to make things because I feel it adds more power and personal significance, not to mention saves a few pennies. I made the clay seal out of soil from various locations mixed with straw. I make my own kyphi, many annointing oils, and natron, so the only money I plunk down are for supplies. I've also started to make my own candles, so that gives me an avenue to test them out in ritual.

Discount stores as well as grocery stores are places that I agree shouldn't be overlooked. Most of my "vessels" and offering dishes were bought at a discount from various places. One annointing oil I can actually obtain from the pharmacy (castor oil is still commonly used, who knew?) I got a pill box for free from a local health food store that only has six slots, which works since I use three different types of incense throughout the day. There's also the findings of ritual brooms (I've even found the same brooms from catalogs and save almost half the cost compared to the catalog), my incense cup that goes inside my brazier (I use those mini incense holders that doubles for cone and stick use), and more. If you use a lamp you may be able to get away with using olive oil; it was used in ancient times for lamp fuel and also doubles for annointing oil.

I think we've all beaten around the bush about it, but the multiple uses for one item shouldn't go overlooked. Like I said I found olive oil to have a couple of uses in my practice. The more "purposes" I've found for an item, the better.

I appreciate how people mentioned places like Goodwill. My lamp came from the Salvation Army. Heck, my bowl for purification came from a charity chili cookout. It was five dollars well spent; who can turn down good food, a reusable bowl, and helping the local community?

I think it was mentioned earlier, but it deserves mentioning again: waste not, wont not. I reuse bottles, and that provides the bottles for my annointing oils and a few prayer jars. Leftover scraps of cloth from a sewing project becomes ritual cloth to dress my statue. The leftover burnt wick and charcoal pieces too small to relight are mashed up and made into "kohl". Green eyeshadow that looks terrible on me is used for "malachite" (though, tbh, it probably has some copper compound in it to make it green). Just look at it and ask yourself how it can work in your practice.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Sep 2009
    Religion
    Kemetic Recon

Most of the articles on my altar were obtained from a Goodwill thrift store. I intend to post some pictures at some point. There's a couple pharaoh heads (I need to get them ID'd, but for now they represent the Ancestors, as in both my own bloodline and my spiritual predecessors in Kemet), but my favorite part of the altar is the fountain: less than $10, it's made to look like a little rock garden, and I added cheap red and blue food dye to make the water look like blood (which makes sense if you know anything about Sekhmet). Keeping the fountain full of fresh tap water (it dries out fast) is my basic regular offering.
    Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.