Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Budget Pagan

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

Re: The Budget Pagan

Even though I hold the belief that tools aren't necessary to the practice of Witchcraft (although they do make it a whole lot funner! ) I have gathered quite a few tools over the past years.

Most of my tools came from second-hand stores, where I found plenty of cheap candles, candle holders, incense burners, incense, crystals etc. Mostly everything you would need to obtain to perform even the most elaborate ritual could be found from a couple of visits to some local second-hand stores and even $2 shops!

As for wands/staffs, try looking in your garden or a local park you'll be surprised at what other things you can find in nature also!

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Hedgewitch

Dollar stores, thrift stores etc. are great places and is where 85% of the tools I own are from. I got a motar and pestle at the thrift store only for $2.00 Thats pretty cheap considering what there worth. Also dollar stores sell tealight candles, and chime candles only for like 2 dollars. I got a big brass pot that works good for a cauldron only for 3 bucks at the thrift store. Also though your tools can be found out in nature. Next time you go to the beach you can collect shells, (if you find a big deep one that can be your cauldron) and stones. Stones can be used as crystals in my opinion. If you can't afford a, lets say rose quartz crystal, you can go to the beach collect a tumbled stone that speaks to you, and charge it with the properties of rose quartz. That would probally make it 10x more powerful and effective. Wands can be found out side (as we all know) Also your altar can be found outside. This might sound a little cooky but, I went to the beach last summer and I wanted to make an all natural altar. (never happend but I do use it as a altar for something else) and I was looking for two medium sized rocks as a plat form. And one huge rock for the top. I was looking all day, it was quite an adventure. I then found this massive heavy rock that was used for the top. I picked it up and booked it to the car. I got really weird stares, and I think back on it and thought, was I aloud to even do that lol? I also forgot to leave an offering, so make sure you do that too. (this summer I will.) Also for scrying meathods if you dont want to invest on a crystal ball, a bowl of spring water, or even your televison or your phone, (what I call the portal scrying vessel) is a great way to scry if interested. Also for any type of divination cards you can either make your own, by buying bristle board at the dollar store, or even better, they are starting to sell tarot cards at the dollar store. For a pendulum, I made my own when I first started pendlums. The dollar store sells little rocks with loops in then that people use for jewlary. They have like 8 in a pack I think. (some look like crystals) Then what you do is attach that to a chain or a string, voila theres your pendulum(s) Another thing that dollar store sells is, crystal pendants. I have seen rose quartz, quartz crystal etc. on a necklace. These can be used to wear, but also you can cut them off the string, un attach them, and use them as a tumbled stone. They are fairly small but not too small. Also the dollar store sells incense, but also they sell like an esstial oil infuser. You put a candle at the bottle of it, but your oils or scent on top and it smells the room. That could be used for a meditation if you have ashma. Also the baulk barn sells some oils, but used for cooking, but you can get cinnimon, orange oil, clove oil, and leamon oil, which you can use for meditation or for any other use. They also sell huge pouches at the dollar store. They sell mirrors, and statues of some deities that I saw, like the goddess Bast, and one time anubis. They have angle statues, anD I also got a dragon there once too (if your guides are those beings ) They have wooden boxes to put crystals/stones in, or even little prayers you have for a prayer box. The possiblites are endless and you can almost make anything spirtual. Most things are at dollar stores/thrift, and also out in the great natural world. Good luck to you all on your journey and hope some of this was useful.!!! Blessed be

Cindyj27

Another good one is to go to flower shops for the flower petals you need. If you go in and ask for the flowers that are too wilted to sell to customers you can typically get them for free or for cheap and they aren't usually all that wilted.

sorry to hear this .

May 2013
    Religion
    Neopagan

The best place is to find things in nature for free! I also highly recommend thrift stores and yard sales. The dollar store is a good place for some things.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Pagan - and heading North for a while...
    Phrase
    I am grounded, I am humble, I am one with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Mr Penry always keeps interesting pieces of wood from whenever he prunes the hedges and trees in our garden. He makes these into lovely wands, staffs and incense holders. One his wands was actually bought by a witchcraft museum in Switzerland!
    Where in Switzerland? I've never heard of such a thing...

Also, IKEA!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Slightly left of center eclectic pagan
    Phrase
    "...pinned by the sun between solstice and equinox..."

This has been my favourite thread so far! Yay, collecting beautiful things to charge and use at a later date! I do this on every single vacation, and have for as long as I can remember. River rocks, flowers, feathers, drift wood, etc. Very cool to know that others agree with me: magic and it's "accessories" don't have to be purchased from azuregreen.net or your closest new age shop.

Mar 2006
    Religion
    In transition -- Seriously looking into Shamanism

Seriously, this thread is absolutely awesome. I know that there's a lot of household goods, things that you can usually find already in your house or out in your yard that can be really useful for certain pagany tasks. I make my own lotions and lip balms and stuff from things I have at home, but I also learned a process to make my own oils in much the same way, and ink as well. If you have a Book of Shadows and prefer to use ink in it, I'd have to find the recipe I used, but it turned out nice and dark (I believe coffee was involved, if I remember right--I'll see if I can find it) and it didn't take all that long to make.

The oils are a bit more time consuming, but not that bad.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

I love this thread so much I was inspired to see what I could do for a cheap easy portable altar so here's my results (it's a link because I apparently "exceeded my upload quota"?):
    http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7e2029e.jpg

Yes, the altar board is a cheese cutting board, equipped with its own Athame it was hand crafted my the P.A Dutch Amish, and was two dollars at the local habitat for humanity store yesterday, the metal duck burner, and the candle, and holder we're each fifty cents a piece. The only thing not shown is an Abalone shell, which I bought a while ago I use for smudging.

This small effective Altar cost me 3$, heck yeah.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Mar 2006
    Religion
    In transition -- Seriously looking into Shamanism

That is totally awesome! And for only $3? That seems like a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned! I usually end up spending a bit more than that, but wow. Now I'm inspired to see what I can do. I don't think I can beat $3, though... Wow.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools