Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Budget Pagan

Re: The Budget Pagan

Goodwill or any sort of donation store.

These places are awesome! You can find some really nice things for cheap and your purchase goes towards helping people and the community. A win-win for all!

Dec 2014
    Religion
    Christian | Solitary Traditional Witch
    Phrase
    Nemophilist

I'm sure most of these, if not all, have already been mentioned. But, just from my experience in gaining magickal resources when I was on a low budget is the following. Hope it helps!

Tools:
    - Go to thrift stores, charity shops and junk shops. You may not get specially designed occult tools, but you can certainly pick up some candelabras/candle holders, bowls, boxes for spells and incense holders for very cheap.
    - You can also get old fancy bottles which can be used to hold potions and elixirs for very little money.
    - I have found many mini copper cauldrons from second hand sellers for very little money.
    - Large shells can be used to hold incense (preferably with a little sand or earth underneath), salts, witch powders and other concoctions.
    - Wands and besoms can be made from collecting bits of branches/twigs from your favourite tree - however, always be aware of the legality or picking up things in nature be respectful of the owners.
    - You can make your own tools with air drying clay, polymer or any other sort of clay. You can also decorate old bowls and wooden objects.
    - Grimoires and spellbooks can be made using sketchbooks, journals and ring binders.
    - Grow your own herbs and flowers.

Divination:
    - Alphabet dice from board games such as Boggle can be used as an easy divination technique. Simply cast and decipher any words.
    - A pendulum can be made from a ring/pendant with a piece from string, fishing wire or long strand of hair.
    - You can make and design your own fortune telling cards with some cardstock and paints/pens
    - A pack of average playing cards can be used for divination, and there are many websites that talk you through this process.
    - A dark bowl of water can be used for scrying, as well as wax scrying.
    - Spray painting a glass frame can give an easy and cheap scrying mirror.
    - You can make your own runes with tree branches, same sized pebbles or polymer clay.

Books:
    - Look for downloadable material from occult, folklore and mythology book sites.
    - Borrow books from your local library.
    - Wait for good sales if you are using Kindles/E-readers
    - Look on book-swapping websites where you can swap your old/unwanted books for ones you are more interested in.

Bits and Bobs:
    - Scavenging for sea glass, pebbles/rocks, seaweed and sea water may come in handy for later use.
    - Pick up leaves, feathers and other natural objects, however, always be aware that the items you’re picking up may be illegal to obtain. Such as feathers from native or endangered birds.
    - Look for sales in fabric/craft shops. You can be material fairly cheap which you can keep for making charm bags, sachets etc.
    - Organza bags can be bought cheap from discount dollar shops and craft stores. They are great for creating bath spells or charm bags.
    - Keep sauce and condiment bottles and jars. They are great for jar spells and keeping your herbs and bits and pieces in.

And just a bit of fiddle from me.
    If push comes to shove and you can't afford anything at the time...always remember that you don’t need any tools or objects to practice witchcraft. All you really need is yourself.

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

I was at the dollar tree the other day and I got some pretty glass star shaped candle holders for a pack of 2 for a $1; so $0.50 per candle holder

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingCompass View Post
    I was at the dollar tree the other day and I got some pretty glass star shaped candle holders for a pack of 2 for a $1; so $0.50 per candle holder
    You can go to their website and order things in bulk, by the way!

Jan 2014
    Religion
    Solitary Witch

Quote Originally Posted by Raphaeline View Post
    You can go to their website and order things in bulk, by the way!
    That's AWESOME!!! I did not know that...
    They have this awesome pet stain carpet spray stuff (I also love it as a stain remover on my clothes), but they're always running out at my local store; I'm totally going to order a case
    Thanks

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMotherWestWind View Post
    I'm sure most of these, if not all, have already been mentioned. But, just from my experience in gaining magickal resources when I was on a low budget is the following. Hope it helps!
    <snip>
    - Keep sauce and condiment bottles and jars. They are great for jar spells and keeping your herbs and bits and pieces in.
    I keep pretty much every glass jar and bottle that we use in this house. Not only for jar spells, but for storing herbs and the like.

Another super cheap purification item is white vinegar. It costs less than a dollar at more grocery stores, and I use it for purifying everything that won't be hurt by getting wet.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Jan 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic solitary witch
    Phrase
    "Life isn`t a matter of milestones, but of moments." - Rose Kennedy

This is such a god thread I save money in many different ways:
    . Reusing empty small bottels, boxes, old cloths, bedlines and so om.
    . Finding flowers, branches, herbs and more in the forest and mountains.
    . At the sea we collect saltwater, seashells, old things and glass the ses has carried on to the sand.
    .Many other has mention before looking in cheap shops, loooking at freestuff on facebook, ebay and on sales.
    . I also like makeing many tools and other things Like soaps, tea, spices,incense, making new candela from old ones...
    . Have ny own little herb garden, some vegetables and berries

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Sorry for necroing this thread, but it's a good one, especially with the new people here.

Beeswax candles are usually pretty expensive, right? Check this flummery out. 45 of them, in a multitude of colors, for $12.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

This is a good thread to necro! (thats why its stickey)

I usually get my beeswax from a guy that sells honey at the farmers market...but thats a good deal!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Those are fishing awesome!!!!
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect