Witchcraft and giving birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witchcraft and giving birth

No, you didn't misunderstand, Jembru really is posting a thread about childbirth. I'm just curious really. I don't know much about the mysterious world of pregnancy and childbirth, but I know there is much folk medicine and old wives tales around birth.

My question is this, do you think it is wise to use methods reputed to induce labour? My friend was due her baby last Sunday and all week I've been watching her facebook wall for news. People have suggested all kinds of weird ways to bring about labour. I wondered many times, if I should light a candle and ask the spirits to hurry things along, but I talk myself out of this, thinking that the baby might be holding on for some biological reason I don't understand, and maybe coming out too early would be dangerous?

Well, this morning her parents flew back to Japan. They'd come for the birth and to help their daughter in the first few days, but their time ran out. I'm so utterly disappointed for the family. Now I am wondering if I should have tried to help with magic. For future reference I guess: I'd love to know what others would have done.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Witchcraft and giving birth

Tell her to have some sex!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Now I wish I'd asked this BEFORE her parents left...
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

As long as the baby is full term, I don't think there's a biological reason for the mom to remain pregnant. Usually, when a mom is overdue, the doctor's start making plans for induction or a Cesarean, maybe give a time limit on how long they will wait, because of course being overdue can be as bad as being premature in some cases. It's still better to wait until the body kicks itself into labor whenever possible, of course, because it's much more efficient at the job than accomplishing it with Pitocin. So no, I don't think that it would be a bad thing to do magic to encourage labor to start, as long as the mom is okay with it (and she is overdue, she probably is!).

Comment

My best friend was taking a while to give birth. Her godmother gave her some tea...no idea what sort of tea, but it was a natural red type. Induced her pregnancy pretty quickly and she went into labour shortly after, delivered within an hour and my godson is now several months old and has always been the picture of health. A lot of the time babies hang in there because it's safe, warm and comfy. After the due date it's ok to induce.

I must say though, my best friend was literally days away from the hospital inducing her.

Comment

I wonder what the tea was? Well, Chikae had her baby 2 weeks late. She was induced, but wouldn't fully dilate so ended up needing a c-section. Looking back, I wish I had at least tried to do something. Little baby Bethany is GEORGIOUS. Japanese mother, Chinese father and living in Englad: they're going to try to raise her tri-lingually. With those three languages under her belt, I've no doubt this little stunner is going to make a real success of her life.

Comment

I would be cautious of self medicating where babies are concerned.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherieslend
                Oh this kind of stuff is interesting. I have heard for the first time that witches even taking interest in giving birth to children. Otherwise I was of the view that witches only take interest in eating the flesh of human beings. But this is an interesting on and I guess they should focus on their original tasks.
                Please tell me this is sarcasm, or you were dropped on your head as a kid. Because anything else would make this the winner of the most ridiculous comment I have ever read on this forum: and we can be pretty ridiculous when we mean to be.

Comment

Congratulations to your friend
                  ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

I suspect - thought don't quote me on this - that it was raspberry leaf tea.

I went about ten days overdue on all but one of my babies. But that was a long time ago....
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      I suspect - thought don't quote me on this - that it was raspberry leaf tea.

I went about ten days overdue on all but one of my babies. But that was a long time ago....
                      I was just about to write this! Definitely sounds like raspberry leaf tea.

Comment

10 days sounds so short a time, but in terms of baby growth, it must make a massive difference. Poor Chikae, poor Tylluan, in fact, I feel for anyone who's endured the baby making process. The fear alone, will probably prevent me ever having my own.

Comment

yes, living is such a miracle .

Comment

There are herbs etc.. that are known to induce labour but I would leave such decisions to the Doctors.

Comment

Working...
                            X