Gothic polytheism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gothic polytheism?

I'm curious if anyone knows of some resources conserving Gothic/East Germanic polytheism. Not sure how differant the East Germanics are compared to the other branches of Germanic paganism, but I'm curious.

Re: Gothic polytheism?

Hey Lucian,

Nothing here, but wanted to let you know people were reading
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I would imagine that sources are pretty scant, as the Goths were converted way back in Roman times. I seem to recall some Gothic runic inscriptions that have been discovered, such as the ring of pietroassa. However, I don't think they hold much religious information. Since the Goths are believed to have come from Sweden, you could argue that their religion was probably similar to later Scandinavian paganism.
      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I've just started reading a book called 'The Heavenly Kingdom of Serbia' , a lot about Serbian mythology, not sure that's Gothic though.

Sava ? seems to be the main figure here.

Yazichestvo, is that right?

Comment

The Balkan nations such as Serbia have some folk lore that is definitely pre-Christian in origin. However, there are countless pagan cultures that have passed through the Balkans at some point. The Slavs no doubt had a strong influence on the region, as evidenced by the South Slavic languages, but certainly not the only influence. The Goths invaded the Balkans briefly, in Roman times, but I do not know that they put down any roots there.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X