Scientists Clear Path to the Fountain of Eternal Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists Clear Path to the Fountain of Eternal Youth

This could be BIG as far as medical science goes.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins have discovered an efficient and totally safe method to turn adult blood cells "all the way back to the way [they were] when that person was a 6-day-old embryo." The discovery could be the key to cure the incurable—from heart attacks to severed spinal cord to cancer—and open the door, some…

This is an amazing medical breakthrough.

"Researchers at Johns Hopkins have discovered an efficient and totally safe method to turn adult blood cells "all the way back to the way [they were] when that person was a 6-day-old embryo." The discovery could be the key to cure the incurable—from heart attacks to severed spinal cord to cancer—and open the door, some day, to eternal youth."
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Scientists Clear Path to the Fountain of Eternal Youth

I don't think I could handle eternal youth, somehow. ;-)
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Since I follow medical breakthroughs closely,and am of advanced age(66) I dream of becoming young again,BUT I also am not sure if I would want to go back..life can be tedious and the longer you live it tends to not always make sense.

I "Might" like being 20 again,but I am not absolutely sure.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

The thing about this kind of stuff, is that even if it did "reverse the aging process" that would not make you younger and certainly not eternally. It would make you LOOK and possibly FEEL younger, at least until you die from disease or an accident.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

As a young person who is afraid of aging, I have to say....awesome.

Though, I find that the older I actually get, I don't mind. I don't want to be 20 again now that I'm 28, for example. So I'm willing to bet that you fear aging before it happens, but when it actually happens, you still see yourself in the mirror.

Comment

It would be amazing if this break through does lead to cures for currently incurable diseases.
            Not sure about how I feel about the eternal youth thing... I still get asked for Id when buying dvds that are aged cert 15... And I'm in my 20's!

Comment

It would be amazing if this break through does lead to cures for currently incurable diseases.
              Not sure about how I feel about the eternal youth thing... I still get asked for Id when buying dvds that are aged cert 15... And I'm in my 20's!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for accidental double post.

Comment

This is actually kind of worrisome. I mean, part of the issue with cancer is that the cells don't naturally 'turn off' (die) like normal cells do. It's why certain cancers spread so fast and are so deadly. That and the other concerns about population growth, sustainability of the human population over the long term, etc. & so forth.

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                Though, I find that the older I actually get, I don't mind. I don't want to be 20 again now that I'm 28, for example. So I'm willing to bet that you fear aging before it happens, but when it actually happens, you still see yourself in the mirror.
                Not all of us are that resilient. I'm not afraid of dying, but getting there naturally is horrible for me to contemplate.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  Not all of us are that resilient. I'm not afraid of dying, but getting there naturally is horrible for me to contemplate.
                  To each their own I think you misunderstood what I meant though. It's really scary to think about before it happens (for me at least) when it actually happens it's much less scary. When I was 20, I was freaked out by the idea of being 30, for example. Now I'm nearly 30 and I don't care at all about turning 30...everyone else around me is around 30 (give or take) and when I look in the mirror, I don't see some older, 28-year-old version of myself, I see me. I'm now slightly freaked out about being 50, but I'm willing to bet that when I get closer, it won't be such a big deal.

Comment

It is a funny thing,being 66 I now view the idea of dieing with much less fear. Like you when I was younger it bothered me a lot,so I put it in the back of my mind. Now I consider when it will come,and I am at peace with it.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I have to agree with most of what has been said here. I honestly do not think "eternal youth" is a good idea. As I am only seventeen, I do see getting older as a bit scary. But honestly, I've always believed with age comes wisdom. And honestly, I would much rather be older and wise, than younger and stupid twenty times in one lifetime. Although, to me, it doesn't make much sense why someone wouldn't want to die. I actually think about death, and see it as something to want to happen sooner or later. Although, I'm not a person who is willing to go suicidal, I am willing to take my death as it comes. I do not think death is something scary or bad in any way. I actually look forward to it.

Now, on the other note (cures for currently incurable diseases), I see that as wonderful! Many of my family have had cancer and lost the fight with it. And many in my family still have diabetes. With how many incurable diseases there are in this world, I think this would be a great thing to accomplish. Now, I don't just say that because there are common diseases that need to be cured. As, I'm not completely selfless. I do have one personal reason to wish this to happen. I was born with a deadly disease (currently incurable) that caused a scar on my left eye, which in turn, caused the center of vision in said eye to go blind. I would love to be rid of this disease, as it has already tried to re-activate and blind my only good eye left. Now, I'm not telling this story to gain your sympathy. I am telling you this to show you why I wish this would happen.

I guess I've said enough here.
                      "Common sense is unfortunately not very common." -Anonymous
                      " But why should love stop at the border?" -Pablo Casals
                      It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.
                      -Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

To each their own I think you misunderstood what I meant though. It's really scary to think about before it happens (for me at least) when it actually happens it's much less scary. When I was 20, I was freaked out by the idea of being 30, for example. Now I'm nearly 30 and I don't care at all about turning 30...everyone else around me is around 30 (give or take) and when I look in the mirror, I don't see some older, 28-year-old version of myself, I see me. I'm now slightly freaked out about being 50, but I'm willing to bet that when I get closer, it won't be such a big deal.
                        No, not really. For you, you thought you'd be freaked out about moving past the 25 mark, but you built it up more in your head than what you experienced. I hit 35 a few years ago & I'm still freaked out about it. 40? Yeah, I'll still be dealing w/the trauma from that when 50 slaps me in the face.

/end of derail, back to generalized panic about people messing with the cellular codes...
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I am one hundred percent behind genetic manipulation and the like. Then again, if I could I would totally be a mad scientist... so I'm kind of biased.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Though, I find that the older I actually get, I don't mind. I don't want to be 20 again now that I'm 28, for example.
                            Eh, I'm younger (a few months away from 27), and I'd still take a turn back to 20 without a second thought.
                            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

hmm... seems to me, I'm the youngest here (17)
                              ~ flowers are our only garments
                              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
                              X