Psyche and Aphrodite worship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Psyche and Aphrodite worship

Hi all, I've recently been drawn to take up worship of Aphrodite and also plan to set up a shrine as a gesture of dedication to her. I have read that she is a goddess who is easily offended so I worry about what sort of things are appropriate..

Firstly, I would like to know if setting up a shrine to Psyche would offend Aphrodite? According to the myth these two do not get along..

Secondly, would it offend Aphrodite to visualise yourself as the goddess?

Re: Psyche and Aphrodite worship

I'm definitely not the right person to answer this, but i think you should be careful of visualise yoursellf as a goddess.... I've once herd a myth with a greek woman, who was very beautiful. by many men she was concidered beautier than Aphrodite, which they often told her. one day Aphodite went very mad at it, and did some..... argh, can't remember what she did, but it was something close to horrible, i think. well sorry I can't remember the rest
    this is just my opinion, and again, I'm definitely not the right person to answer this.
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

I'm no expert, either, but I think it would depend. It sounds to me almost like a variation on drawing down the goddess...different practices that fall under that idea can be very powerful and lovely.

I've found, that when in doubt it's generally best to ask the beings themselves. Ask Her if she would be offended by something near Her daughter in law. See what happens.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Visualising yourself as the goddess? I would consider that offensive. You want to honour Aphrodite, not dishonour her. You can anthropomorphise in drawings, thoughts, stories etc - that's fine. Pagans often do so. But to imagine yourself as the goddess? The term hubris comes to mind. Just as the ancient Greeks hated hubris, I suspect Aphrodite might too.

As for the shrine, I'm afraid I dunno. That's out of my league.
        "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
        Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
        Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Um, no...I'd disagree rather strongly about that being hubris.

In Greek mythology hubris is when someone, most often the rich or powerful, does something which challenges the gods and their laws, often harming another person without caring along the way. Yes, the term has become diluted in modern use, however, if you are going to talk about Greek gods, using a Greek term, then the actual usage would be far more appropriate, whether in it's legal sense or in it's literary sense.

Examples of hubris:

In a legal sense.

In a literary usage:

Seest thou how God with his lightning smites always the bigger animals, and will not suffer them to wax insolent, while those of a lesser bulk chafe him not? How likewise his bolts fall ever on the highest houses and the tallest trees? So plainly does He love to bring down everything that exalts itself. Thus ofttimes a mighty host is discomfited by a few men, when God in his jealousy sends fear or storm from heaven, and they perish in a way unworthy of them. For God allows no one to have high thoughts but Himself.
          —Herodotus, Histories Book 7, tr. George Rawlinson

Aristotle's Rhetoric (particularly around 1378b)

Other examples would be the suitors of Odysseus' wife, Penelope, Niobe who brags about her 14 children at a feast of Leto, and Arachne, who creates a tapestry mocking the gods in her competition with Athena.

On the other hand, concepts of Drawing Down the Goddess or other forms of ritual possession ranging from a full horsing to simply asking the Divine for a portion of the energy of a being who's attributes and abilities you admire and wish to emulate are a common feature of modern pagan practice. While training and teaching so that proper respect is shown is encouraged, it is hardly an act of pride or arrogance, but one that is considered a deeply respectful, sacred act. There is a plethora of information available about this practice.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I appreciate all your responses guys. What brought me to ask this question was a mediation I found online. At first I found that it really worked- I felt much better about myself and I daresay even saw an improvement in the mirror... but the critic in me wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I felt I needed some other opinions if I was going to continue meditations like this.

Aphrodite Meditation
            Use this as a love spell to attract love and feel loved.Sit in a quiet place free of distractions.
            Ground yourself by imagining a cord attaching you to the center of the earth.
            In your mind’s eye, picture the image of Aphrodite. What does she look like? What does she feel like? Take note of her characteristics.
            Now allow all of that to become you.
            You are the Aphrodite Goddess! You are sensual, attractive, beautiful, powerful, and confident. You are full of femininity and wisdom.
            Close off the meditation and hold those feelings as long as you can. When you feel that confidence escaping you, remember this meditation.
            Last edited by Guest; 29 Aug 2012, 22:37.

Comment

Working...
            X