Past Life Regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past Life Regression

Wasn't sure if this would be considered divination. So I just posted it here. I'd like to ask your opinions on what all guides or "tutorials" there are on past life regressions, and how many actually work. I have always been interested in the past. but when things changed in my life, I started to believe in reincarnation, and the cycle of rebirth. I honestly wanted to look back at the lives I have had before and see what they were like. This kind of thing has always intrigued me. You could say I want to make a hobby of it. Wonder how many past lives I actually have? 7? 20? hmm... this is always fun for me to think about.

[Am I allowed to post links to websites? was gonna link to the only one I have found for a how-to on this subject]

Anyone else want to share their opinions on this?
    "Common sense is unfortunately not very common." -Anonymous
    " But why should love stop at the border?" -Pablo Casals
    It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Re: Past Life Regression

Honestly, I think most past life regression is bunk. Not that I disbelieve in past lives, I just think that anything that you find with "past life regression" on the label ain't gonna work. The reason I think that is because that has been my experience with it. Most of it amounts to little more than hypnosis, and anything arrived at from hypnosis is... dubious at best, because of how easy it is to fabricate memories while under hypnosis. And what's worse is that those false memories can and often do seem as vivid and natural as your real memories. This can cause real damage to your psyche.

All of the past life memories I have came to me spontaneously when I was a small child, between the ages of 2 1/2 and 4 years old. I have been able to weasel more details out of those memories just by bringing them up again and again over the years, but I have had zero success with any past life regression techniques. Of course, I can't be hypnotized (not even by professionals, my mind just doesn't take to it) and that may contribute to why PLR techniques haven't worked for me. But even if it did work, that still leaves the point mentioned in the previous paragraph about the unreliability of memories retrieved through hypnosis.

It would seem to me that using a magickal working, such as a spell or other ritual, to remember past lives in a trance or in dreaming would be more reliable in the sense that it would make you less likely to subconsciously fabricate false memories. Failure would be marked by a simple lack of results, instead of by either a lack of results or catastrophically damaging your mind with false memories. Success would be marked by dreaming of a previous incarnation, as opposed to a "successful" past life regression merely causing you to fabricate memories.
    Last edited by earthgirl; 26 Aug 2012, 15:06.

Comment

I've had good luck using a pendulum with special charts to figure out information about past lives. At first my friends and I thought of it more as a game - not facts. Later on we went to a metaphysical fair that was going on in our town. While there we ran into a physic who randomly started talking about our past lives without us asking or talking about them. She listed out everything we had already figured out with the pendulum. It was really shocking because she have verified that the readings with the pendulum were correct.

Comment

I second what earthgirl said about issues with hypnosis. This is the exact reason why using it to "uncover memories of abuse" etc., withing the psychological community is strongly discourages these days. In the hands of someone with an agenda, it is far too easy to fabricate something that feels real to the person, especially if they are trusting and susceptible to hypnosis. Abuse of authority at it's worst.

I am on the fence, personally...I have had some experiences that felt like they could have to do with past lives. The way I see it, I write them down and put them on a shelf for later, and if I develop enough evidence that it counts as a sort of proof by the end of my life, will leave said info for those who are interested. I've tried asking questions on past life forums and the like before, and it seems to me as though people are often very biased, and willing to attribute anything to a past life without a healthy dose of skepticism. Not to mention the Indigo or Star Child types, who excuse the inappropriate behavior of their offspring by claiming they are something special.
        Last edited by Dez; 27 Aug 2012, 08:45.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I can agree with the points stated. so are there any ways (other than being a small child) to see your past lives? or is it nearly impossible as you get older?

- - - Updated - - -

I can agree with the points stated. so are there any ways (other than being a small child) to see your past lives? or is it nearly impossible as you get older?
          "Common sense is unfortunately not very common." -Anonymous
          " But why should love stop at the border?" -Pablo Casals
          It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.
          -Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I think that sometimes things come to us in flashes. some of my stuff comes from childhood - relatives remembering when I kept insisting that I was really a boy named Thomas.... the time I read a french book when I was five and could understand it... and later there was (and still is, but I'm a bit too lazy to transcribe it) the small matter of the music that fills my head. Obviously from another time, but I don't claim to have written it. Maybe it's just music I've heard at some other point in the life cycle....
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by earthgirl View Post
              Honestly, I think most past life regression is bunk. Not that I disbelieve in past lives, I just think that anything that you find with "past life regression" on the label ain't gonna work. The reason I think that is because that has been my experience with it. Most of it amounts to little more than hypnosis, and anything arrived at from hypnosis is... dubious at best, because of how easy it is to fabricate memories while under hypnosis. And what's worse is that those false memories can and often do seem as vivid and natural as your real memories. This can cause real damage to your psyche...

...It would seem to me that using a magickal working, such as a spell or other ritual, to remember past lives in a trance or in dreaming would be more reliable in the sense that it would make you less likely to subconsciously fabricate false memories. Failure would be marked by a simple lack of results, instead of by either a lack of results or catastrophically damaging your mind with false memories. Success would be marked by dreaming of a previous incarnation, as opposed to a "successful" past life regression merely causing you to fabricate memories.
              What she said, basically. I've seen a lot of stuff written about past-life regressions, and I've seen a number of snakeoil salesmen using said past life regressions to worm their way into the pants of the naive. To be blunt, I see a lot of past-life regressions being sold as methods to find justifications for, or to underlinem some feel-good mentality that cancels out a person's accountability. I'm of th ebelief that those past lives a person has are just that. Past. You are not the person that died before. Sure, that life and it's memories have left a mark upon your soul, but that doesn't mean you are the same goatherder from 7,000 BCE. Looking at from a Kemetic standpoint I would say that a person's ba from a previous life has become part of their ba (the part of the soul that holds memories and personality) in this life, but the ka (the essence of the soul) of one's self is individual. Who is to say that the old ba hasn't inserted the old memories and tendencies into who you are right now, manifesting in ways that are subtle but still noticable. I'd like to think that memories of some importance from a past life will come back all on their own and not need some dubious method of reclaimation.

Comment

I don't know if I believe it or even if I'd want to know about past lives. I'm too busy trying just to live this life~

However, I did have an odd dream once as a kid, I dreamt I was in Quebec (A place I had never been) and the people in my dream were talking in French (a launguage I did not know or had really ever heard spoken before) and I knew it was French. And the funny part was? My dream had subtitles so I could understand what was said!

Comment

I have been around so many Morgana Le Feys/Mordreds/Arthurs/Uthers/Cleopatras/Caesars/Janis Joplins/Jim Morrisons/Jimi Hendrices... I'm always a tad skeptical when someone claims to be someone famous or historically well-known or pretty much fictional. I'm also skeptical when other people tell me they were dragons, kitsunes, faeries, aliens or what nots. And I run when people come up to me & start telling me about my past lives & how well we knew one another & how we should tooootallly get back together in this life. All that being said, I'm a reincarnationist. I believe most of us alive have been here before, and most of us will probably come back. I'm sketchy on the details of the time-line. I don't know if people can reincarnate into the past, or into the far distant future, but it may happen.

Like others have said, and for the same reasons, I'd stay away from hypnotism or 'guided' regressions. When you enter any type of altered consciousness, your subconscious is very open to suggestions. You won't even realize it, but any stray phrase could have some untoward effects on your mind and emotions. I think, even though it's unverifiable and you can delude yourself just as easily, solitary meditation/ASCs are the way to go.

I've had flashes & ideas about my past lives - mostly in dreams and weird feelings of deja vu or memory flashes. The memory is a tricky bit of work itself - your brain absorbs everything around it, constantly, and you have no real control over what it may decide to regurgitate at a later date & time.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I personally don't believe in any of this, but my wife has a book called "Life Before Life" by Jim B. Tucker, M.D. that she says is very good on the subject of reincarnation. I haven't read much yet, but from what I can tell, Dr. Tucker's research suggests that children will remember a past life to a certain age and afterwards just stop talking about it. His book doesn't mention past life regression (at least, as far as I know).

Comment

Part of what's tricky about that sort of stuff with kids is the bias of whoever is witnessing it.

For example: I could give at least a dozen examples of LDS family members seeing something my kids, myself (as a small child), and my nieces and nephews have done and claiming that it was proof that they could remember living with Heavenly Father in the spirit world, and that "the veil wasn't closed for them yet", a fairly standard Mormon belief.

Examples would include giving pictures of (Mormon Caucasian blue-eyed) Jesus kisses and saying they loved him, talking about heaven, saying they miss a family member who died before they were born, having conversations with imaginary people while playing in their rooms, and (in my guy's case) running inside talking about talking to a man in white a couple of days after the prophet at the time died. Heck, if my mother is to be believed, I was already talking about needing to be "clean and pure" to go to the temple someday when I was three(why they were talking to a three year old about the importance of purity is an entirely different question).

Looking in from the outside, I can see the mothers lighting up and getting animated showing church pictures to their infants and toddlers, who get all excited in return, because hey, mommy's enthusiastic, this must be important! The temple and Book of Mormon pictures my SIL started showing her kids every day as toddlers, talking to them about them, the family trips to the temple grounds, talking about how important going to the temple when they grow up is. There is massive repetition before these children even learn to talk, when kids will often pick up ideas that they heard in one single adult conversation, in passing!

This means that if you have adults that are looking for something like signs of a past life, the same sort of enthusiasm and bias will be there (even if the almost brainwash-level repetition isn't). It makes me, personally, take it with a HUGE grain of salt.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                        I have been around so many Morgana Le Feys/Mordreds/Arthurs/Uthers/Cleopatras/Caesars/Janis Joplins/Jim Morrisons/Jimi Hendrices... I'm always a tad skeptical when someone claims to be someone famous or historically well-known or pretty much fictional. I'm also skeptical when other people tell me they were dragons, kitsunes, faeries, aliens or what nots. And I run when people come up to me & start telling me about my past lives & how well we knew one another & how we should tooootallly get back together in this life. All that being said, I'm a reincarnationist. I believe most of us alive have been here before, and most of us will probably come back. I'm sketchy on the details of the time-line. I don't know if people can reincarnate into the past, or into the far distant future, but it may happen.
                        So I should avoid claiming to he the reincarnation of a Jedi dinosaur from a galaxy far away....
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've had some experience I might consider past lives but nothing really solid or advanced. However I do believe that my experiences were legitimate. Unfortunately the only moments I remember involved lying in a gutter dying from some kind of lung infection. Assuming it's not just an overactive imagination my past life sounds kinda shitty. There was another thing from when I was meditating to try to learn about my past lives that never really made sense to me; Lots of light and chirping, though that may not have anything to do with anything.
                          Circe

Comment

Working...
                          X