NGO? Is this legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGO? Is this legal?

While on MeetMe (social networking site) earlier in the week I saw a post where a person was recruiting for an organization he calls NGO or New Global Order. He says its a mercenary group that recruits persons ages 13 and up, that they are employed by the us goverment and legal. This doesn't sound legal at all to me (wouldn't know who to report it too anyway though). Here's the status, because of MeetMe's weird security you may not be able to see it: http://feed.meetme.com/view/46929130...e-2a623366c009

I've attached a screenshot of the status. I had commented but removed them as I began to feel more uneasy about it. All my comments were siting international agreements against the use of children in hostile conflict. No matter how I look at this it's shady. I don't really know if this is even something reportable honestly.

Since the attachment seems unreadable here's an imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/R7F5n.png
    Attached Files
    Circe

Re: NGO? Is this legal?

If this is real (and not some game or troll), it's illegal to have mercenaries in the US. From wikipedia:

A US Department of Defense interim rule (effective 16 June 2006) revises DoD Instruction 3020.41 to authorize contractors, other than private security contractors, to use deadly force against enemy armed forces only in self-defense. 71 Fed. Reg. 34826. Per that interim rule, private security contractors are authorized to use deadly force when protecting their client's assets and persons, consistent with their contract's mission statement. (one interpretation is that this authorizes contractors to engage in combat on behalf of the US Government). It is the combatant commander's responsibility to ensure that private security contract mission statements do not authorize performance of inherently Governmental military functions, i.e. preemptive attacks or assaults or raids, et cetera.
    Pretty much unless you're running defense and within very limited boundaries you can't be a mercenary. I'm also pretty sure you have to be at least 18 for that type of stuff, though don't quote me on it (though I don't see how a 14-year-old can have the necessary experience to even be hired by any firm unless he was "hired" by Kony or something).

Part of me wants to say this is just recruitment for some RPG taken waaaay too far. Without people asking those questions, though, I can't determine.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

No. It's not legal. Skipping the merc issue temporarily, Federal law places the minimum age of employment at 14. 13+ is autofail. The other issue is that use of children under 15 as soldiers tends to be constitute as a war crime under at least two to three international agreements. The US occasionally has a flexible opinion on how binding international agreements are but there isn't actually any gain in permitting mercs to recruit minors within our borders and the potential shitstorm if it gets out is ludicrous.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I can't see where this could be legal,I was in the navy and you had to be 18,or 17 with a parents permission. BUT,these are strange times we live in. You know this could happen in other countries,but the name New Global Order smacks of New world order a Conspiracy theory that runs rampant all over the net. This could be something connected to those things. There are people that are convinced that FEMA is building concentration camps within this country,and will round people up. So,take your choice of NUT jobs,and check your paranoia and grab your towel and your copy of the HGTTD.

- - - Updated - - -

In searching that term,there seems to actually be the concept of "The new global order"

Though it is not clear what it exactly means.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/up-front/posts/2011/05/27-global-order-jones

- - - Updated - - -

Then there is this.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=39706&Cr=iran&Cr1

- - - Updated - - -

"22 September 2011 –
        Iran’s President today called for a new global order, telling the General Assembly that “slave masters and colonial powers” dominate international affairs, oppressing other nations and causing misery and disorder to peoples around the world."

Quote from the above story.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

That's all pretty much what I thought myself. A few things I'd like to add are that the guy is 15 (or his profile says so anyway), and he's from my state so he's looking for kids in the US and that his organization is employed by the us to fight overseas. If it's real it's likely illegal, if it's not you'd have to wonder why he's recruiting kids and possibly getting personal information. The third possibility I see is that such an organization does exist but he's misrepresenting it and may be getting details wrong.
          Last edited by Corvus; 29 Aug 2012, 09:19.
          Circe

Comment

...Or he's trolling. I've personally done weirder.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I personally think he's either lying or a victim of an organization taking advantage of him. He posted a picture in his 'ngo uniform for those going to iraq' afew hours ago. I've flagged his account to the website but I doubt it would do anything. Is even pretending about this legal? I mean he is trying to get people to join, even if it isn't a merc group that's gotta be suspicious enough for a formal investigation right?
              Circe

Comment

I have a feeling that it could be teen fantasy.

Comment

Working...
                X