Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

friend trying to convert me

so, where to start??

let's se, i have this very good (and very christian) friend that i've known since we were about... ten years old. but after she moved to away to another town, long away from where i live, i haven't seen her for almost three years, which felt strange to me, because i was used to have her hanging around everywhere. few days ago i was visiting her in her "new" house, and we were very happy finally to see each other again.

but then i told her about my path, aztec belieafs, (which i've followed in two-three years now) and she started to tell me, that this was not a good idea. she tryed everything to convert me back to christianity again, and i tryed to tell her that i never really have been christian, but she doesn't wanted to listen. and now we can't really start a normal talk without her trying to convince me that i shouldn't keep belief in aztec mythology.

what do you think i should do??
    ~ flowers are our only garments
    only songs make our pain subside ~

Re: friend trying to convert me

I got this with many of my atheist friends. Mostly, they tried to "educate" me because they have this misguided view that everyone who believes in a religion doesn't believe in science, so I talk a lot about science lol. I did tell them that I believe what I believe and I consider it to be personal. Then I left it at that and never brought up my beliefs again. For the most part, it's worked. I don't really feel the need to discuss my path with others, and when I do, I do it on here or talk to my mom (who is interested). When I first found it I wanted to talk about it all the time to everyone, but now I've sort of mellowed out a bit and everyone has thankfully forgotten about it.

So yea, I'd do the same in your situation. Just tell her that your beliefs are your own, and each person is entitled to their own world view, and that you'd be happy to hear about hers (since you told her about yours). Then leave it at that and see if she lets it alone.

Comment

thank you very much for the good tip. I'll see what i can do. maybe she'll learn to deal with it. I just hope so, I'm very tired of discussing religious wiews with her all the time.

thanks

Comment

Worst comes to worst, cite the book of Matthew, Ch 10, verse 14.

"If at first they will not receive you and your message, shake the dust from your feet and be gone".

Then bring up how you still want to be friends, just not... you know, a church buddy.
        "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
        http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
        "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
        http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
        "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
        http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
          Worst comes to worst, cite the book of Matthew, Ch 10, verse 14.

"If at first they will not receive you and your message, shake the dust from your feet and be gone".

Then bring up how you still want to be friends, just not... you know, a church buddy.
          It's not because i dont want to be her friend. we've known each other for very long, and we share many old memories and experiences. i just want a tip to get her understand that we don't have the same religion, and that she must appreciate it.

Comment

You know I've said this before about us gals. I start to sound like a broken record. Men know how to say a direct sentence and mean it. Women on the other hand? We tend to go way around the bend to say something we mean but end up sounding like we don't really mean it. You can be direct and not be a bitch at the same time. Men do it a billion times a day.

Stop talking about my religion.

The end. And you mean it. You don't explain it. You don't apologize for it. You just say it and start discussing another topic.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

yeah, it sounds like a good idea....thanks!

Comment

I second Medusa's advice. It's really about setting up a boundary in that area. There are a million things that are off the table, even with my closest friends, in discussion. On the rare occasion that those topics are broached, I simply indicate that I am not going there. I'm polite about it, but firm.

Comment

I would just tell her "I am what I am, either accept it or not....but I am not changing so don't waste your time." The people that love you will love you anyway despite your beliefs. Everyone else, don't make time for them.

Comment

thank you everyone! I really appreciate all your advices.

Comment

And if all else fails, ask her, 'Which part of the word No do you not understand?'
                      Best of luck. It would annoy the hell out of me....
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

A good friend knowing who you are and your beliefs attempting to convert you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pellethie View Post
                          A good friend knowing who you are and your beliefs attempting to convert you ?
                          She knew a lot of me, but not what I believed, since before she moved away I wasn't really sure what to believe in at that time.
                          Now three years later, when we finally got to meet each other again after she moved away, I told her about my religion which I had figured out meanwhile, and she didn't think that was a good idea. She tried hard to convince me that I should stay away from that religion and never look back.

Comment

As Medusa said we guys do have it a bit easier,at least most of us. I have never had a problem telling someone to stop,and if they persist I can become quite a bit less polite about it. But I have seen guys that have the same problem,they learned they must always be polite. Where I grew up you learned to speak your mind and never let anyone get over on you. If someone thought they could get over,then they would never stop,and everyone else would consider you a "Mark". I grew up in a very poor and sometimes dangerous area,and you learn young and you learn fast,or you got run over. I am very seldom a victim but also I am never the aggressor,I only bring out my Bad ass side if they attack me. Most people I know have learned better than to push my buttons,and I do give them full warning and allow them to have a way to back off. If they persist,I can and will hit them hard and fast. Their actions are seldom repeated,and also the word gets around fast not to push me.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sarkana night View Post
                              She knew a lot of me, but not what I believed, since before she moved away I wasn't really sure what to believe in at that time.
                              Now three years later, when we finally got to meet each other again after she moved away, I told her about my religion which I had figured out meanwhile, and she didn't think that was a good idea. She tried hard to convince me that I should stay away from that religion and never look back.
                              Having gone through something similar, but even after telling this person (who by the way was non-Christian at one time) that I was quite happy with my path, he wouldn't let up. I had to walk away.

Comment

Working...
                              X