Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite incense for starting meditation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite incense for starting meditation?

I'm planning on starting to meditate (never done it before) so I want to get into the right frame of mind for it. I'm looking for some drumming cds too, if anyone has any recomendations for a good one.

Re: What is your favorite incense for starting meditation?

I use neither, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. I use incense for space cleansing, though, especially places like my new apartment( which has the origional warped 60's cabinetry, that has absorbed all sorts of evil smells over the years). In that case, my favorites are things like cedar, that smell clean and can discourage insects. L is fond of sandalwood.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

My favorite is probably sandalwood for most things, but there's one called mountain mist I think that is also pretty good.
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I don't always use incense for meditation, but if I do I prefer something that's lightly scented, and doesn't give off much smoke. As far as single note scents go, sandalwood, amber, myrrh, vanilla, and lavender are all nice for that. There are also lots of great blends out there... I have a Kyoto cherry blossom blend and a "Hathor" blend that I use frequently. Really depends on what sort of scents you like - wouldn't want something that smells awful to you to distract you. Sometimes you can find variety/trial packs at a good price, to experiment with a few things, see which you like best.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Though it's been suggested a lot, I'm not a big fan of sandalwood. Smells too much like sunscreen to me. Frankincense is a pretty nice "neutral" incense if you don't want anything too exotic. I also really like Nag Champa Super Hit, which is very sweet and spicy-smelling but VERY strong (one stick will make a whole house smell).

One of my personal favorites is Dragon's Blood, but (this is only from my own personal experience) it's kind of a "dark" incense and is better for gaining confidence, strength, and ambition than for peaceful meditation.

As for music, I really really love Deep Forest. Look up their song "The Sound of Africa" if you want a sample. Not exactly drumming, but I use it a lot for meditation.

Comment

I prefer to light a coal and burn some mugwort! It creates heavy fumes and have a wonderfully earthly smell, it makes for a wonderful atmosphere. However, I only use this outside. Inside my apartment I prefer to use incense-sticks of Dragon's Blood or Frankincense - both have a nice smell. As for the drumming, check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUzYW...ure=plpp_video - he got several nice videos

Comment

Thanks everyone. I went to a shop in town and just bought an assortment of diffrent scents.

Comment

Working...
              X