Any good books on Hedge Witchery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good books on Hedge Witchery?

Hi! I'm looking for Hedge Witch books...I found one by Rae Beth but I wasn't sure if it's good, and the other I found is by an author I'm not fond of: Silver Ravenwolf...Any recommendations?

Re: Any good books on Hedge Witchery?

Rae Beth's book Hedge Witch isn't worth picking up. It's basically just watered down solitary Wicca... I've heard her later books are more on topic, but I've yet to read them myself. Definitely avoid RavenWolf's book, as it also misses the mark by a long shot.

I would recommend picking up To Fly By Night: Craft of the Hedgewitch. It's not a standard introduction sort of book, but instead is a collection of essays, rituals, poems, and so on, by several different authors. It gives a well rounded idea of what a hedgewitch is, and a view on the different ways they practice while still being linked under the same label.

Beyond that, I personally have not seen a whole lot of (good) books specifically on the subject, but you can find various books on shamanic witchcraft and spirit work, herbalism, and the various bits that most hedgewitches incorporate into their practice.
    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thank you! That books sounds interesting.....I hate to ask a similar question to the one I previously asked, but by any chance, do you know any decent books about shamanic witchcraft and/or spirit work? And maybe herbalism?

Comment

For starting herbalism I would get a field guide, something local, or at least regional, with really good pictures, first because before trying to learn what the magical, and edible and other properties are, you really need to know how to find and be absolutely certain you identify them correctly. Sorry, work in a hospital and I had to throw my bit of 2 cents in there. Yeah field guide for herbalism before buying or trying to implement too much herbalism work.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Slush View Post
          Thank you! That books sounds interesting.....I hate to ask a similar question to the one I previously asked, but by any chance, do you know any decent books about shamanic witchcraft and/or spirit work? And maybe herbalism?
          Herbalism... Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, and his book Magical Herbalism. The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews is another book in that line. Good introductory books. You can start working with herbs and spices right off your spice rack (or garden, if you have one), see if it's even something you want to pursue. If you do want to get into the foraging aspect, I second the need for going local. Find field guides and books on foraging for where you live. (If you are in New England I can recommend a couple.) Also, you can do a fair amount of identification online, too. I love foraging, but you need to be super sure of what you're gathering.

As far as the shamanic and traditional witchcraft elements go...
          Cunning-Folk and Familiar Spirits by Emma Wilby
          The Resurrection of the Meadow by Robin Artisson (Heard good things about his other books as well, but have not read them yet myself.)
          The Roebuck in the Thicket: An Anthology of the Robert Cochrane Witchcraft Tradition by Evan John Jones/ Robert Cochrane
          Ecstatic Witchcraft by Gede Parma
          Call of the Horned Piper by Nigel Aldcroft Jackson
          Hedge-Rider: Witches of the Underworld by Eric de Vries
          The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak
          The Pillars of Tubal Cain by Nigel Jackson and Michael Howard
          Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life by Tom Cowan
          Shamanic Journeying: A Beginner's Guide by Sandra Ingerman
          Shamanic Witch by Gail Wood and Kristin Madden
          Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath by Carlo Ginzburg and Raymond Rosenthal
          Sacred Mask, Sacred Dance by Even John Jones and Chas Clifton

Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything really great... Also, as with most books, there are going to be good parts and there are going to be flaws, so of course check out some reviews (like on Amazon)... see what to watch out for with some books (bad history, difficult writing style, etc.), what's good about them (good ritual, good ideas, whatever), and see what's going to be relevant to your personal interests.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Working...
          X