Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise and Advisement Please?

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this and if not I do apologize. I'm newly entered into the world of Paganism though so far I am thrilled with my growing understanding and acceptance. However, there are so many areas where I do fall short on heh. For instance though I have just set up a small altar for reflection I'm not sure what to do and while fulfilling still turns out mostly like Catholic prayer. Just looking for some tips and ideas on what to do.

Re: Advise and Advisement Please?

I would suggest you read through the other threads on paganism beliefs/traditions, and pick up some good books. I'm sure there's a sticky thread somewhere on this forum with a good reading list (I think).

That's a little too broad a question for anyone to really answer thoroughly if you're still not quite sure which way you're going.

Comment

Hmm well Kindred or Asatru is where I'm beginning my "path".

Comment

Id get rid of the alterif it reminds you of mass paganism as a religion is distinct from christianity and internalising that distinction is something some people never manage.We were raised colic so we personalised lots of theologysubconsciously as we grew. Its in our communities amd cultures so its less a religion then a way of life sometimes.

It can be hard, especially with the uncertainty and fear that we might be doing something wrong that will have serious consequences in the christian belief. Prayer and alters aren't necessary, paganism isnt about duplication our submission to deity. Imo anyway.so avoiding those things while clarifying your path internally might be as wel on balance.

Personally I use active meditation to commune with deity and the land rather then prayer, its a big or common thing here in catholic ireland,a way of operating pagan fruity from catholic

Comment

I see, I understand an alter is not needed, though I do like to have a space dedicated to reflection. But I understand what you mean. I have never really faced myself spiritually in quiet before with the world so vast, rather humbling.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
            I see, I understand an alter is not needed, though I do like to have a space dedicated to reflection. But I understand what you mean. I have never really faced myself spiritually in quiet before with the world so vast, rather humbling.
            Im glad you see what I mean callmeclemens, the autocorrect on my phone made a hames of that post!

It is Humbling but being humble is a christian virtue as a pagan id be cautious about the context im using for it. While there arent necessarily a list of pagan virtues the supplication to deity and being humble might be hand in hand in christianity but not in paganism...

tho witchcraft would be distinct from all that as a secular craft rather then a religion... if thats what youre into then theres no contrast between it and christianity. Different things.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post
              Im glad you see what I mean callmeclemens, the autocorrect on my phone made a hames of that post!
              I sympathise, James. My voice recognition software is a total bugger for that. I'm trying to write something serious, while the software's trying to write a blockbuster novel! ;-)
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this and if not I do apologize. I'm newly entered into the world of Paganism though so far I am thrilled with my growing understanding and acceptance. However, there are so many areas where I do fall short on heh. For instance though I have just set up a small altar for reflection I'm not sure what to do and while fulfilling still turns out mostly like Catholic prayer. Just looking for some tips and ideas on what to do.
                Keep asking questions, for one. As for what you're doing, I don't view worship and prayer as a right or wrong method. Prayer language is ingrained in many from a young age, and as one who was raised and self identified as Catholic for over forty years, I have had many prayers and creeds ingrained into me.

One thing I would suggest is talking to other Asatru practitioners and participate in whatever events or gatherings that you can. As you learn new things, begin to incorporate them into your prayer and worship. You don't need to do a wholesale change-over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  I sympathise, James. My voice recognition software is a total bugger for that. I'm trying to write something serious, while the software's trying to write a blockbuster novel! ;-)
                  The wonders of modern technology Tylluan. Theyd make life easier if they werent such a chinese fingertrap :P

Comment

Originally posted by JamesByrne View Post

It is Humbling but being humble is a christian virtue as a pagan id be cautious about the context im using for it. While there arent necessarily a list of pagan virtues the supplication to deity and being humble might be hand in hand in christianity but not in paganism...

tho witchcraft would be distinct from all that as a secular craft rather then a religion... if thats what youre into then theres no contrast between it and christianity. Different things.

I understand and I do agree, perhaps humble wasn't the right word. However I spent my entire life beleiving in One Entity, one way that things were and could be. It's like turning the light on in a room you thought was a closet, only it turned out to not be a closet at all, not even a room, but a vast Universe.

Comment

I understand and I do agree, perhaps humble wasn't the right word. However I spent my entire life beleiving in One Entity, one way that things were and could be. It's like turning the light on in a room you thought was a closet, only it turned out to not be a closet at all, not even a room, but a vast Universe.
                      I get the impression that you feel like you are doing alot of the same things you were doing before. Maybe some medetation or just plain old quiet thought may help. I have been told myself that celebration is far more important than supplication, and that's what I try to do, turn prayer into a celebration. If ya are up to it include food and drink, when you are done, do something just for a lark! If it feels like work or if it feels miserable, knock it off and do something else! Try to make it less sombre if you have too. If ya gotta run outside and scream at a tree, well thats ok too, (just keep in mind the men in white coats may arrive after that one...) and read everything you can. Knowledge is awesome and you should strive to know everything you can! Hope my little spiel helps a bit.
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I appreciate the insight! While I am beginning to break way from my old ways, I frequently find "Catholic Guilt" Restraining me at times more than anything else, mostly with symbolism and Magick. I've put myself on a year and a day plan before I allow myself to do anything other then simple worship and meditation. Let myself become at peace with all these things rushing through my brain. Of course I will make an exception for the Harvest Ritual at the Festival I am attending.

Comment

I appreciate the insight! While I am beginning to break way from my old ways, I frequently find "Catholic Guilt"
                          The facilitation of child molestation by the Catholic Church removed any shred of Catholic guilt from my consciousness.

I've put myself on a year and a day plan before I allow myself to do anything other then simple worship and meditation. Let myself become at peace with all these things rushing through my brain. Of course I will make an exception for the Harvest Ritual at the Festival I am attending.
                          Take your time, find your way, and enjoy your new path!

Comment

Working...
                          X