Luck for potential job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luck for potential job

I lost my job about three weeks ago and it is becoming a serious problem. I've been pushing for a new job at a place called the Lion's Den (which happens to be an adult superstore) which would be perfect for me. The focus is on sales, which I've never done before but I think it could be fun. It would sure as hell be a step up from my last job, as I'll have more hours plus commission and benefits. I really, really want and need this job and I'm supposed to know something this coming week. Any prayers, vibes, candles, or just plain wishes for good luck would really be appreciated.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Luck for potential job

Definitely! As an aside, as someone who has previously inquired, they don't offer employee discounts! XD

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
      Definitely! As an aside, as someone who has previously inquired, they don't offer employee discounts! XD
      Haha, darn. :P Would you happen to have any tips to try to persuade the manager to hire me? And thanks.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Hey, wishing you the best of luck and sending good vibes your way. Unemployment is a horrible beast, hope you get to slay it. Right in the face!!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

My hiring manager told me once that she hires 10% based on skill/experience, and 90% on personality. If that person is lazy, can't be asked to dress properly to turn in their application, and doesn't seem like they'd be respectful with the other employees, are a dead no.

Try to relax and be pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
            My hiring manager told me once that she hires 10% based on skill/experience, and 90% on personality. If that person is lazy, can't be asked to dress properly to turn in their application, and doesn't seem like they'd be respectful with the other employees, are a dead no.

Try to relax and be pleasant.
            Good deal. I think I'm pretty good at interviews. I always wear a nice shirt just to apply and always wear a tie to the actual interview. The lady I gave my application to wasn't the manager but she seemed pretty impressed just the same. I have spoken to the manager over the phone and he didn't seem like he felt there were any discrepancies on my application, so I'm thinking the odds are in my favor.

As for getting on with other employees, I've never had a problem with that. Don't be a jerk to me and I won't be a jerk to you, that's how I roll. And even if someone is a jerk or gets on my nerves I just ignore it and try to avoid them whenever I can. No use making waves, I say.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

Do you have an interview set up yet? You'll have to keep us all posted.

Comment

Do you have an interview set up yet? You'll have to keep us all posted.
                Not yet. When I spoke to the manager he said he was going to start calling people this week. I believe he specifically said "the first of the week," so hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Hope so too, if you want any pointers regarding sales just drop me a pm. I've been doing it for a couple years now (and now I coach my girls on it) ^^ So feel free to ask.

Comment

It seems that one or both of us aren't allowed to receive private messages.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Fixed. ^^ I'll be home most of the day, so feel free to bother me whenever is convenient.

Comment

Well, didn't hear anything yesterday. Called in just now and the manager says he hasn't had any time to set up interviews because he's "always there by himself," which is funny because a different person answered the phone and had to give it to him. Supposedly he's trying to set things up next week. I have to admit, I'm starting to get irritated. The lady I spoke to before said they "badly needed somebody," so I don't get what the hold up is. Every time I try to get a job this very same thing always happens - they act like they're desperate for help but it takes weeks to see any action. If they're so desperate, I could start right now!
                          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Sounds pretty typical to me. It's hard to arrange interviews when there's only two people running the place and they're stretched super-thin to begin with. There's communication and coordination issues when that happens.

When they say something like "we've decided to go in a different direction," that's when you need to throw in the towel.

There's not a lot more I can really give you insight with without knowing your work/education history and proofing your cv, besides the coaching ofc. Give them a day or two, let them try to get their heads on straight, and then next time you communicate.. don't call. Just go in in person and ask to see the manager so they can put a face to the application.

Comment

Sounds pretty typical to me. It's hard to arrange interviews when there's only two people running the place and they're stretched super-thin to begin with. There's communication and coordination issues when that happens.

When they say something like "we've decided to go in a different direction," that's when you need to throw in the towel.

There's not a lot more I can really give you insight with without knowing your work/education history and proofing your cv, besides the coaching ofc. Give them a day or two, let them try to get their heads on straight, and then next time you communicate.. don't call. Just go in in person and ask to see the manager so they can put a face to the application.
                              Yeah, my irritation is with the situation, not the management. I understand his position, so I can't be angry with him.

It's not time to give up yet. He did say that nobody's been hired yet and that he's hoping to start setting things up next week. He asked my name and when I told him he instantly recognized it and said that my application is still there, so hopefully he's keeping me in mind.

I suppose if I don't hear anything by next Wednesday I'll go in and see what's up.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                              X